You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your views  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Your views

• You happy about this?
    • Disappointing?
    • Or only time will tell?

Dundalis? You said "None of the players we've bought are going to significantly help us beat those sides that park the bus in front of our goal next season. You need players with a bit of magic to break down those teams and none of these players have that."

Erm correct me if I'm Wrong but with the likes of Suarez, Kuyt, Gerrard, Meireles, Aquilani, Carroll, maybe even soon Sterling and Suso as well as mainly proven to be able to Create opportunities or Show the "Bit of magic" You spoke of? I think we're Already Well set up in that department and TBH? You have it a little the wrong way around if you ask me.

Our Real problem was Stretching teams consistently which we've had problems with since Riera & Rafa' clashed and the former was effectively frozen out of the team - The players I listed above are More than good enough to break down teams with the magic of which you spoke And also able to take opportunities when we create them - That was never our problem - Fact is we were relying on such 'magic' Far to often to break down Every team rather than stretching them naturally and profiting with opportunities in games.

Our problem was in essence? Stretching teams to Create such 'cheap' opportunities, regular mistakes or openings against "Parked Buses" consistently that the Mancs have benefitted from season in, season out for Way to long now; Anyway, this signing will go some way to helping remedy all that in my view; Maybe to, Downing can help usher in Sterling in the near future so we'll gain in the end not one but Two wingers of quality who work well in a Team format. No reason Why this shouldn't be a good signing overall. Time will tell on this one...........

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one welcome our new 3 handed/8 fingered winger.

For far too long we've lacked a decent option out wide and I hope that Mr Devastating will provide a shitload of chances for the lads in the middle. Another thing which struck me when watching those youtube clips was the amount of times he pops up at the back post to convert a chance. That's something I really like in a wingers game, if the ball is on the other side of the pitch, get yourself into the box and it might just drop to you.

Hopefully we can now get rid of some of our deadweight to maybe finance a left back or centre back and I think we'll have had a good summer. Just need the King to pull it all together on the pitch now.

I'm delighted with this signing! Finally we got a really good wide player. Nice too see King Kenny being backed by the owners and getting the players he wants. Now if we could get in a decent left back and a backup striker + getting rid of some deadwood, I would consider this transfer window as a huge success. Can't wait for the season to start!

If there was a category above "happy" I would have opted for it.

I am absolutely thrilled. Best buy of the summer, anywhere.

Yes, I wanted him when he was leaving Boro, but I am delighted we have him now.

Get in.

Maybe its a bit lazy or the symptons of head in the sand syndrome but whilst Kenny Dalglish is heavily involved in plotting our future I have the upmost faith in him making the correct decisions to get us playing attractive/winning football.

I know basically fuck all about this wonderkid juan mata but even if he is the dogs it is refreshing that our owners and manager have faith in our own british talent. I'm pleased we've got another exciting young player at the club and that can only be good for us.

Guest davelfc

The £32m is very misleading and takes into account add ons one of which is a sizeable sell on percentage. But yeah, if we end up paying £32m I'll be happy because we will have won the premiership.

I'm pleased we've got another exciting young player at the club and that can only be good for us.

Exciting and young are not words usually associated with Downing.

Underwhelmed and disappointed, would love to be proved wrong. Hope he works out.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Not that blown away by the "ex Boro/Villa" man....

we need to start off loading some of the others...our midfield wage bill will off the clock what with Aquilani and Cole still wandering about!

Xie zhongwunzi hen rongyi, yinwei pinyin bu shuo 'tonal marks', soyi wo yao xie zhongwunzi.

Ni bu xue zhongwunzi? Ni yinggai kankan.

Wo tong yi, xie pinyin you dian nan. Wo mei xue hanzi yi qian, dan she wo xianzai xue yi dian dian. Wo yao zhi dao zenme xie zhongqwenzi, suo yi wo yao lien xi.

£32.5m is indeed very misleading, apparently it breaks down into £20 million for Downing and another £12.5 depending upon how many of the smug twats on the MF giggle themselves silly!

Above 15 and we have to pay the full whack!

A lot of money this, but he will improve the side and I suppose it just depends upon how much.

I am sure everyone would have been delighted if we had signed someone more exotic, but it isn't always a guarantee. People rave about David Silva, who cost 30m, but he had the same number of assists as Downing and scored fewer goals. For every Suarez, there are plenty of others who fail.