You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best partner/tactics for Suarez-based ecstacy?

Gym Beglin

I think Carroll has far more to him than being on the receiving end of long balls. I'm not expecting him to go dashing about like Suarez does, but it doesn't mean he won't be mobile. People seem to think he will just stand in the middle and wait. He is dangerous from the edge of the box as he has a foot like a traction engine and he is a tidy player on the ground too. I think when him and Suarez get a chance to play together regularly, they will compliment each other perfectly.

Agree, in the same way that Benitez's teams were defined by pressing, this team is defined by movement. Carroll won't be allowed to undermine that. Fortunately the staff can see beyond the stereo-type people are trying to fit Carroll up with.

"dynamite" said Stevie last night, descrbing his Uruguayan bum chum.

We would all agree, the barrel-chested little twat

Can you explain these two little phrases for those of us who dont understand why they were phrased in these ways?

Guest ShoePiss
Can you explain these two little phrases for those of us who dont understand why they were phrased in these ways?

It appears that he's uncomfortable showing signs of affection so adds some nasty words whilst maintenance endearment. It could mean he's a closet gay, or that he's just having a bit of fun.

With the amount of continuous graft put in by the little fella each game it is now only a matter of time till his hamstrings or calf muscles go.

He needs someone right up there alongside him, or in direct support to alleviate some of the running and closing down.

Guest TK-421
Agree, in the same way that Benitez's teams were defined by pressing, this team is defined by movement. Carroll won't be allowed to undermine that. Fortunately the staff can see beyond the stereo-type people are trying to fit Carroll up with.

Agreed.

I think there's much more to his game than being the stereotypical target man, as this youtube compilation conclusively proves. Left peg, right peg, headers - it's all there.

The second goal on the clip is my favourite, against Villa. A 40 yard cross field ball, collects the return and slots it home. He's no speed demon but does have some versatility to his play.

ZI33L1_-tTI

I would play a fairly fluid variation of 4-4-2 with Suarez in a sort of free role in and around Carroll, Kuyt playing narrow-ish on the right and a proper wide left player. Not wildly unlike the Barnes-Houghton midfield. Carroll would be the Aldridge and Suarez the Beardsley.

The formation employed next season is surely going to be 4-2-3-1 - best illustrated by the U18s where Ngoo or Morgan play cf with Sterling, Silva and Adjoran in behind.

It's been stated more than once that this system will be employed by every team representing the club.

Suarez and Kuyt can both do a job at centre forward if Carroll is unavailable so I'd expect two major signings in the summer to cover the 3 positions immediately behind the striker regardless of whether they are "traditional" wingers like Ashley Young or mobile allround forwards in the Suarez mould.

The formation employed next season is surely going to be 4-2-3-1 - best illustrated by the U18s where Ngoo or Morgan play cf with Sterling, Silva and Adjoran in behind.

It's been stated more than once that this system will be employed by every team representing the club.

Suarez and Kuyt can both do a job at centre forward if Carroll is unavailable so I'd expect two major signings in the summer to cover the 3 positions immediately behind the striker regardless of whether they are "traditional" wingers like Ashley Young or mobile allround forwards in the Suarez mould.

While I agree, I wouldn't call young a traditional winger.