You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Ten Underrated Players

Guest TK-421

Glen Johnson is every bit as good as yer Maicon's and Evra's, just he hasn't had the team around him like they have.

Tom Huddlestone is World Class at eating pies and passing the ball, if he was Spanish he'd be talked about more.

Assou Ekotto is a horrible man, a twat, but he's such a dependable, attacking full back.

Aaron Lennon worries the fuck out of defenders, I don't care if his final ball is sometimes shit, although the latter is always unfairly levelled at him.

Stuart Downing, not as flashy as Young or Johnson, but always a threat and always delivers.

Christopher Samba is a beast, but he's married to the image of Blackburn long-balls, I think he's a much better player than just a good header of the ball.

Mikel Arteta is as good as Fabregas, just look at the number of assists over the years.

Micah Richards should be an England centre back, he's World Class waiting to happen.

Kevin Nolan, I think he could have been a legend for a top side.

Jermaine Defoe. Superb striker of the ball, can turn on a sixpence, I think he's criminally under-used by both Spurs and England.

Ryan Giggs. Seems an odd choice, but he's been one of the best players in Europe this season, but the attitude is still provincial about him.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've got news for you, pal.

I'm not Dirk Kuyt and my opinion is based firmly in reality. I like to ask fans of other teams about their views on Dirk, and the reply is usually "he's shit".

I must have a better class of other team supporting friends as they all think he's the bee's knee's.

Alex Song gets my vote.

Yes, I've often thought that Ryan Giggs was underrated. What does he have to do to get some credit from the media and his peers?

What credit? It's all Hernandez this, Rooney that, Nani is ace...Giggs wasn't even in the running for player of the year, it was laughable.

I mean right now, this season, what plaudits has he received for his performances?

What credit? It's all Hernandez this, Rooney that, Nani is ace...Giggs wasn't even in the running for player of the year, it was laughable.

I mean right now, this season, what plaudits has he received for his performances?

1 he won pfa player of the year, last year

2 every game

In response to the other thread and with no in depth thought on the matter whatsoever I present to you my top 10 underrated players of the Premier League:

1. Dirk Kuyt - widely panned by ignorant Reds, fans of other teams and others in the game the Bittersh hating legend tops my list for always delivering when it mattes most and grabbing a whole load of important goals.

2. Paul Robinson - in my view the best/most consistent English goalkeeper around at the moment, just shading it over Joe Hart. Better than fighting relegation with Blackburn, in my humble opinion.

3. Nicklas Bendtner - underrated by Gooners and football followers in general, and by Arsene Wenger it seems, as he's been confined to the bench for the title run in. Gives Arsenal some physical presence up front, grabs goals and deceptively quick.

4. Niko Kranjcaer - ignored by Harry Redknappp in favour of Bale and Lennon. Injury prone but a class act, too good to languish on the Spurs sub bench. Niko has a good record at International level and is patently being underused by Redknapp.

5. Jon Obi-Mikel - steady holding midfielder with a league and cup double under his belt. A difficult position to play at a young age, he shows maturity and does the simple things very well. Rarely gives the ball away.

6. Lucas Leiva - starting to get some recognition at last but the good performances generally go unnoticed by the majority.

7. Gareth Barry - pivotal figure in City's rise to top 4 status and one of the few expensive players who has justified the hefty price tag.

8. Michael Carrick - not as good as Xabi Alonso but plays a similar style of game. Seems unpopular and gets a load of criticism, but I don't understand why.

9. Benoit Assou-Ekotto - Bale gets all of the headlines but Assou-Ekotto provides a sturdy platform for Spurs to build attacks from the left back position. Very accomplished fullback.

10. Edwin Van der Sar - another GK who I don't think gets the praise he deserves for his consistency, especially taking his age into account and the very modest transfer fee the mancs paid for his services. Has outperformed his rivals over the last few years, or at least been their equal.

The only ones I would disagree with are Bendter and Mikel.

For me both are overrated to Zlatan levels. Mikel is an oaf who can't challenge without nearly taking someone's knees out.

And Bendtner, reminds me of someone who believes his own hype without actually ever watching a game that he has played.

no particular order but the first ten who come to mind for me are

Lucas- massive improvement from him and looking a really good player now but even when he wasn't what he is now was overly criticised

O'Shea- very solid dependable player, best right back at Scum for me

Pavlyuchenko- Never been favoured by Redknapp, perhaps overhyped when he first joined but he gets goals when he plays

Matt Taylor- got a superb left foot on him, makes some excellent runs and is a very intelligant player yet isn't even nailed on to start for Bolton

Michael Dawson- been far better than Ledley King for years but go nowhere near the same credit, should have more England caps

Jonas Guttierrez- inconsistant but have seen him give some top fullbacks the run around

David Silva- well I think the vast majority of people know how good he is but the fact he isn't a guaranteed starter in a side that includes Barry and Lescott is mind boggling

Nasri- better than Fabregas for me yet gets half the credit

Craig Gardner-sold by Villa to main rivals who he has carried at times this season

Cuellar- seems to always play well when i see him but is usually on the bench or out of position

Guest TK-421
Wow that's a pretty shit list... Fucking Carrick? Fucking Barry? Fucking hell!

Why don't you make one and I'll be happy to ridicule it. Fucking wanker.

Did you watch fucking Carrick marshal the mancs to another European Cup final last night?

Guest TK-421
The only ones I would disagree with are Bendter and Mikel.

For me both are overrated to Zlatan levels. Mikel is an oaf who can't challenge without nearly taking someone's knees out.

And Bendtner, reminds me of someone who believes his own hype without actually ever watching a game that he has played.

Mikel is one of the things I see eye to eye with Code on. I even think he's better than Lucas, or has been in his career to date, which is why he's higher up the list. He might look like Tracy Chapman but he's a cracking player.

I agree with most of Byrnie's choices, Kompany and de Jong have been the standouts for City this season (along with Tevez of course). Always been impressed with Doyle when I've watched him too, wouldn't be adverse to having him as a back up striker for us as he can play effectively both alone and in a 2. Stewart Holden is an excellent shout, no coincidence that Bolton's performances dropped when he got injured.

Mikel is probably not underrated, but I think he gets a lot of unfair stick from English (a bit xenophobic perhaps...) supporters, just as Carrick and Lucas do. I think it's got to do with their role(s) in their team, more than the players themselves. Hell, most people outside Liverpool didn't understand Alonso's value to our team before he left.

I'd like to throw in a couple of curveballs as well. Jonas Gutierrez may seem gangly and unorthodox, but he's pivotal to this Newcastle side. He runs all day and is deceptively quick, decent dribbler too. Poor finisher, but has always been a threat the times I've seen N'castle. Think he makes Enrique look good to, a barcode Dirk Kuyt perhaps?

Clint Dempsey is also someone that should play in a better side. Can play all across the midfield, is fairly quick and can finish with both feet and his head (got a good leap on him too). Will bring you goals wherever you play him, and has even done a good job up front for Fulham in Zamora's absence.

Darren Fletcher should be on that original list instead of £18m man Carrick. Reliable, efficient, never lets his manager down. I don't see how someone with an £18m tag can possibly be called underrated - surely it has to be a ratio of performance versus value and reputation, which also rules out Gareth 'Tortoise' Barry (criminally overrated by some, to the extent of being seen as a better option than even Xabi Alonso, although the Kop was never fooled) and Nigel De Jong too.

Good call from a few about Kevin Doyle - he has been single-handedly carrying Wolves this year. Bobby Zamora also doesn't get the credit he deserves for a few truly awesome seasons at Fulham. Matt Etherington at Stoke should get an honourable mention too

What about pride of place for the horribly underrated Danish destroyer, er, Christian Poulsen?*

*realises too late it isn't April 1st and slinks away to the TLW undergrowth

Guest TK-421
Darren Fletcher should be on that original list instead of £18m man Carrick. Reliable, efficient, never lets his manager down. I don't see how someone with an £18m tag can possibly be called underrated...

Because a whole load of people thinks he's shit, that's how. He rarely gets singled out for praise, but often criticism. In my world that means he's underrated.

Also, Darren Fletcher shouldn't be on the list because it's my list, not yours. If you make a list I'll be glad to read it.

Byrnie gave Etherington a mention.