You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle have just won two games at home this season so I guess that is one of the reasons why he got the sack, there have also been around 7000 empty seats at St James Park on average this season and that means around £350000 in lost income every home game at least.

I dont have a problem with this at all and I dont understand the outcry.

Its pretty funny though seeing some of Hodgsons biggest critics expressing their thoughts in this thread.

Newcastle have just won two games at home this season so I guess that is one of the reasons why he got the sack, there have also been around 7000 empty seats at St James Park on average this season and that means around £350000 in lost income every home game at least.

I dont have a problem with this at all and I dont understand the outcry.

Its pretty funny though seeing some of Hodgsons biggest critics expressing their thoughts in this thread.

He took them up. Did you see how bad they were before he took over?

He took Newcastle up from the Championship, with almost the same players they got relegated with?

Thats just awesome is it not.

How can you even compare Hughton to Hodgson?

We sacked our manager last year for finishing seventh in the premiership. This year -- given the general consensus of people on here -- we have a better team.

Last year Newcastle played in the Championship. Over the summer they spent little or no money strengthening.

They are currently above us in the table. Explain to me how Hughton deserves the sack but Hodgson ought to be given time.

Watching them yesterday, thinking: "They're much like us. Mediocre squad, mediocre manager". Now I'm thinking: "At least they have the balls to get rid of the mediocre manager".

Yes, Hughton's a decent guy. Yes, he did well in the Championship. But how far could he realistically take them? And what's the point in prolonging the mediocrity? At least aspire to do better - and hire someone who you actually believe in.

It's never the wrong time to replace the wrong man.

I smell racism or nepotism. "No managerial experience"? Ah yes, so that's why they brought in the supremely talented and wise manager Alan Shearer. Hughton was probably going to be able to keep his team in the Prem this season - same team he brought out of the darkness of the Championship. Besides money, are there any other reasons for this decision by Ashley? And why now in the dead of winter with no replacement to cover?

I smell racism or nepotism. "No managerial experience"? Ah yes, so that's why they brought in the supremely talented and wise manager Alan Shearer. Hughton was probably going to be able to keep his team in the Prem this season - same team he brought out of the darkness of the Championship. Besides money, are there any other reasons for this decision by Ashley? And why now in the dead of winter with no replacement to cover?

I smell.......................................................an idiot

We sacked our manager last year for finishing seventh in the premiership. This year -- given the general consensus of people on here -- we have a better team.

Last year Newcastle played in the Championship. Over the summer they spent little or no money strengthening.

They are currently above us in the table. Explain to me how Hughton deserves the sack but Hodgson ought to be given time.

We sacked Rafa because he failed to get us into the champions league. We appointed Roy to get us back into the top 4. So far Roy has failed to get us back into champions league places- what's more we are actually struggling to be in the top ten.

What does this post even mean, when did I say Hodgson did not deserve the sack?

So the general consensus is that we have a better team? Thats passed me by, thats for sure.

Rafa alienated Benayoun and Riera, our two best wide players and Mascherano was always going to leave in the summer, on top of that we lost a few more players, so i dont think we have a better team this season compared to last season at all, especially not a better squad.

Compared to Rafa last season Hodgson has done alright with the team he inherited, if he got the chance to play in the CL instead of the Europa league then maybe it all would not be as much doom and gloom, but our achievements last year made that impossible for him.

I for one have higher expectations than this and thats why I wanted Rafa sacked and thats why I want Hodgsdon sacked.

I`m actually amazed by those who wanted to keep Rafa last year and their outcry over Hodgson, its the same shite week in week out, the only difference is we defended higher in the pitch last year, but had the same average results in the league, in Europe we were worse though, so considering they were happy last season they should be well pleased this season as well.

When it comes to Newcastle had a PL squad playing in the Championship last year, so off course they went up, its should not be a surprise for anyone and it was the least that should be expected from them.

The pathetic agenda driven Rafa posse on here who wanted Hodgson out after 3 games this season because he is not Rafa show their true colours in this thread though, you have to laugh.

The pathetic agenda driven Rafa posse on here who wanted Hodgson out after 3 games this season because he is not Rafa show their true colours in this thread though, you have to laugh.

I don't have the inclination to respond to each article of that drivel - but this is what you said:

The obvious inference is that the people who are attacking Hodgson are defending Hughton --> In order for this to be 'pretty funny' presumably there must be some hypocrisy or contradiction involved in attacking Hodgson but defending Hughton --> In order for there to be some hypocrisy there must be some equivalency between Hodgson & Hughton.

So if there's no equivalency, why is it funny? That's what I'm wondering. If they are equivalent, in what way?

Code stop being contrary for the sake of it.

I`m not, I just dont understand the outcry, especially not considering all those who want Hodgson gone.

Do I want Hodgson gone? Yes.

Do I think its laughable that Hughton got the sack? No.

Then turn it around.

Do you think its laughable that Hughton got the sack? Yes.

Do you want Hodgson gone? Yes.

For me thats double standards but seeing those double standards are already in place when someone defend Rafa and want Hodgson gone for achieving the same results with a worse squad its not really surprising.

Some consistency and balance would be nice, but I guess its too much to ask for from some.

Some people and clubs never learn!

Hughton and Hodgson are equivalent in the sense that both have drastically improved the fortunes of teams in the last few years- Woy took a down and out Fulham to 7th one season and Uefa cup final the next, Hughton galvanised a sinking ship in Newcastle. They're also similar in that most of the opinions you come across that are more impartial (and probably more objective) seem to think the very idea of getting rid of them is ridiculous.

Never the wrong time to get rid of the wrong man? That sounds profound but in reality is nonsense! If Toon can't get a man in, as two years ago with their Kinnear/ Venables debacle, and pick up naff all in the process, with a potentially resurgent West Ham, Toon could easily fall into trouble. Hughton's surely the right man for now because like it or not, they're eleventh! Better than they should be, and in that sense, he's added value.