You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I`m not, I just dont understand the outcry, especially not considering all those who want Hodgson gone.

Do I want Hodgson gone? Yes.

Do I think its laughable that Hughton got the sack? No.

Then turn it around.

Do you think its laughable that Hughton got the sack? Yes.

Do you want Hodgson gone? Yes.

For me thats double standards but seeing those double standards are already in place when someone defend Rafa and want Hodgson gone for achieving the same results with a worse squad its not really surprising.

Some consistency and balance would be nice, but I guess its too much to ask for from some.

It's good that you've boiled it down to those points. There's a simple way to explain the discrepancy. Looking at league positions, let's assume Hughton and Hodgson have performed roughly the same this season. Why should Hughton have stayed while Hodgson should go?

Simple, the expectations and resources of the club he was managing. Newcastle are a newly promoted club that are just recovering from a severe crisis (relegation). Their target for the season is optimistically a top half finish, realistically just staying up. He was achieving this goal in style, with some stellar performances and derby wins thrown in.

Liverpool are a top 4 contender who are slipping badly and Hodgson shows no signs of launching a recovery.

So that's where my "double standards" come from. Yes, they are double standards. Because Hodgson and Hughton are not managing the same club. That's why one is a failure and one clearly wasn't.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I smell racism or nepotism. "No managerial experience"? Ah yes, so that's why they brought in the supremely talented and wise manager Alan Shearer. Hughton was probably going to be able to keep his team in the Prem this season - same team he brought out of the darkness of the Championship. Besides money, are there any other reasons for this decision by Ashley? And why now in the dead of winter with no replacement to cover?

Shut the fuck up.

I`m not, I just dont understand the outcry, especially not considering all those who want Hodgson gone.

Do I want Hodgson gone? Yes.

Do I think its laughable that Hughton got the sack? No.

Then turn it around.

Do you think its laughable that Hughton got the sack? Yes.

Do you want Hodgson gone? Yes.

Fair enough.

With the transfer window round the corner, may be they thought it is bets to give it to someone who can improve the squad and do better than Hughton. I don't know about their financial situation but Newcastle are rich enough to attract some one capable and can possibly compete in the transfer market.

Newcastle have just won two games at home this season so I guess that is one of the reasons why he got the sack, there have also been around 7000 empty seats at St James Park on average this season and that means around £350000 in lost income every home game at least.

I dont have a problem with this at all and I dont understand the outcry.

Its pretty funny though seeing some of Hodgsons biggest critics expressing their thoughts in this thread.

Oh, fuck me. I guess we all forgot that Newcastle are a mighty bastion of Premier League football. They've obviously got a talented team that is much better than their 11th place position. They didn't just get promoted or anything.

Houghton was never going to be a long term manager at Newcastle and there is a good reason he has been a number two all his life.

He was good enough to get them promotion from the Championship, but with that squad that was expected.

Newcastle started out considerably well, like many newly promoted teams do, but lately its been going downhill and that pretty fast as well.

Newcastle`s last 5 games L-D-L-D-L.

Newcastle- Blackburn 1-2

Newcastle-Fulham 0-0

Bolton-Newcastle 5-1

Newcastle-Chelsea 1-1

West Brom-Newcastle 3-1

Coming up next:

Liverpool home

Birmingham away

Man City home

Spurs away

I`d say its a good time for them to change their manager, Newcastle is a big club, they have the 3rd biggest stadium in the country and they have high ambitions, why should they continue with a manager who most likely will not be able to help them reach thos ambitions?

I wonder how the reaction would be on here if we even became linked with Hughton?

I could have understood this had Newcastle been in Wolves or West Ham's position at the foot of the table and in danger of being cast adrift, but they're currently in mid-table, which was surely the aim/hope in their first season back up.

Unless someone with the requisite "managerial experience" has already been lined/tapped up to take over imminently (which, being Newcastle, I seriously doubt), I don't see the need to sack Hughton at this point, especially as his contract only lasted until the end of the season when he could have been replaced more 'amicably'.

Guest ShoePiss
Houghton was never going to be a long term manager at Newcastle and there is a good reason he has been a number two all his life.

He was good enough to get them promotion from the Championship, but with that squad that was expected.

Newcastle started out considerably well, like many newly promoted teams do, but lately its been going downhill and that pretty fast as well.

Newcastle`s last 5 games L-D-L-D-L.

Newcastle- Blackburn 1-2

Newcastle-Fulham 0-0

Bolton-Newcastle 5-1

Newcastle-Chelsea 1-1

West Brom-Newcastle 3-1

Coming up next:

Liverpool home

Birmingham away

Man City home

Spurs away

I`d say its a good time for them to change their manager, Newcastle is a big club, they have the 3rd biggest stadium in the country and they have high ambitions, why should they continue with a manager who most likely will not be able to help them reach thos ambitions?

I wonder how the reaction would be on here if we even became linked with Hughton?

Why would you compare Newcastle to Liverpool?

Never the wrong time to get rid of the wrong man? That sounds profound but in reality is nonsense! If Toon can't get a man in, as two years ago with their Kinnear/ Venables debacle, and pick up naff all in the process, with a potentially resurgent West Ham, Toon could easily fall into trouble. Hughton's surely the right man for now because like it or not, they're eleventh! Better than they should be, and in that sense, he's added value.

If they get O'Neill, they'll be stronger. In any case, Hughton was a glorified caretaker from the beginning. He hung in there longer than expected, but he was never Ashley's long-term choice. So what's the fuss about? Mediocre manager does decent job to get club a massive four points off relegation; owner decides he wants better.

I think people need to realise what good news this could potentialy be for us!

It could mean the Permed Pygmy will not be in the running for Liverpool when Joan Hickson finally leave us!

I have been dreading Roy going, only for the jumping gobshite to offer his services!

P.s Bad decisions ruin clubs, not sacking bad managers.

It's good that you've boiled it down to those points. There's a simple way to explain the discrepancy. Looking at league positions, let's assume Hughton and Hodgson have performed roughly the same this season. Why should Hughton have stayed while Hodgson should go?

Simple, the expectations and resources of the club he was managing. Newcastle are a newly promoted club that are just recovering from a severe crisis (relegation). Their target for the season is optimistically a top half finish, realistically just staying up. He was achieving this goal in style, with some stellar performances and derby wins thrown in.

Liverpool are a top 4 contender who are slipping badly and Hodgson shows no signs of launching a recovery.

So that's where my "double standards" come from. Yes, they are double standards. Because Hodgson and Hughton are not managing the same club. That's why one is a failure and one clearly wasn't.

Newcastle are the only club outside us, Chelsea, Arsenal and the mancs who have finished in the top 3 in the league the last 10 seasons and they have the 3rd biggest stadium in the country.

You make it sound like they are Blackpool.

Jesus. Is that really your line of thought? Who's this manager they're going to get who will match their ambitions? Its the worst poisoned chalice going and it's precisely because of decisions like the one we've just witnessed. They'll wind up with some journeyman (rumours are Pardew) and have a crack at getting themselves relegated. It is a staggering decision.

Because, as I clearly showed above, that is the basis of his argument.

I think he is trying to say that if we had an average manager then we would want him sacked too.

Given Newcastle's stature Hughton could be viewed as an average manager for them.

I could have understood this had Newcastle been in Wolves or West Ham's position at the foot of the table and in danger of being cast adrift, but they're currently in mid-table, which was surely the aim/hope in their first season back up.

Unless someone with the requisite "managerial experience" has already been lined/tapped up to take over imminently (which, being Newcastle, I seriously doubt), I don't see the need to sack Hughton at this point, especially as his contract only lasted until the end of the season when he could have been replaced more 'amicably'.

They are 5 point above relegation, they have got 2 points from their last 5 and their next 4 games is pretty tough.

If they do it now their new manager will get time to address his squad before the transfer window open and they might be able to get a manager who easier attract quality players than Hughton.

I`m actually surprised he got the chance at all this season.

Why would you compare Newcastle to Liverpool?

I`m comparing the lifeline of the managers and seeing as I`m no hypocrite I have no problem with newcastle sacking their manager considering I want Hodgson out.

I never have a problem with any club sacking their manager though no matter how long he has been there.

We should have sacked our last two long before we did so good on Newcastle I`d say, identify a problem or a source for problems and then act on it.

Some people and clubs never learn!

Hughton and Hodgson are equivalent in the sense that both have drastically improved the fortunes of teams in the last few years- Woy took a down and out Fulham to 7th one season and Uefa cup final the next, Hughton galvanised a sinking ship in Newcastle. They're also similar in that most of the opinions you come across that are more impartial (and probably more objective) seem to think the very idea of getting rid of them is ridiculous.

Never the wrong time to get rid of the wrong man? That sounds profound but in reality is nonsense! If Toon can't get a man in, as two years ago with their Kinnear/ Venables debacle, and pick up naff all in the process, with a potentially resurgent West Ham, Toon could easily fall into trouble. Hughton's surely the right man for now because like it or not, they're eleventh! Better than they should be, and in that sense, he's added value.

That's irrelevant when it comes to Roy's position here. Roy getting the sack from Fulham any time in the past two years WOULD have been ridiculous. I only care how he does for Liverpool.

In any case, Hughton was a glorified caretaker from the beginning. He hung in there longer than expected, but he was never Ashley's long-term choice. So what's the fuss about? Mediocre manager does decent job to get club a massive four points off relegation; owner decides he wants better.

Stop talking sense, it has no place in this thread.

L-D-L-D-L is the form you'd expect of a newly promoted team who had a good start, hardly a crisis is it, just par for the course really.

Think Code is on a wind up here after that crap he just posted about Newcastle and the top 3 though. I mean, 1996 was over 10 years ago, Keiron Dyer is no longer worth £22 million quid so I must conclude you are either on a wind up or a bit mongy, I like you so will assume its a wind up to kill some time until Roy get's the sack.

Guest ShoePiss
I`m comparing the lifeline of the managers and seeing as I`m no hypocrite I have no problem with newcastle sacking their manager considering I want Hodgson out.

I never have a problem with any club sacking their manager though no matter how long he has been there.

We should have sacked our last two long before we did so good on Newcastle I`d say, identify a problem or a source for problems and then act on it.

Wanting Hodgson sacked and expressing surprise at Hughton getting sacked doesn't make anyone a hypocrite. The only thing Newcastle has over Liverpool is their stadium capacity. Our playing staff, number of fans, revenue generated, trophies won are all superior so it's not a fair comparison.

I've no idea why that needs spelling out to you, they are not comparable situations in any way, shape or form.

Code, are you actually suggesting that we are arguing about whether it is right to sack a manager, ever?

That's absurd. The way to judge a manager, and the way to determine whether he should be sacked or not, is by the expectations and resources of his club.

You are basically equating Newcastle's expectations to Liverpool's, and saying that if we want Hodgson gone, we should want Hughton out of Newcastle.

We are saying, no, Hughton was doing well for Newcastle, and Liverpool still needs a lot better than Hodgson.

Does that make sense honey?

Newcastle supporters are up in arms about this --- I think they tend to watch more Newcastle United games than I do, or you do, Code.

They are Newcastle fans, what would they know?

Lets see what happens, the fact of the matter is that the average attendance have never been so low at Newcastle since they rebuild their stand, the average was even 3000 better two years ago when they got relegated, so I`m not sure they are all pleased with just two home wins so far this season.