You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

StevieH

Guest davelfc
If we're appointing someone for the longterm then we've got to wait.

The board cant bin Roy for a caretaker incase the caretaker does well and he needs to go for the new man they've waited for.

Personally i'd say to Villas Boas or Deschamps, come now or fuck off. Its a bigger job than the one you have, want it come now.

Eh?

So we sit here with this clueless fuck and sink deeper because a caretaker might do better. You drunk?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc
Not my thinking Dave, he'd of been gone weeks ago under me.

Its the only reason I think of why they're sticking with him.

I don't buy it as a logical reason, I read it all over the place and it winds me up. It is suggesting that Kenny wouldn't hand it over. It's pure stupidity.

I don't know why they haven't sussed the old bluffer yet, could be a load of things but I suspect some of it is who they are talking to.

1) No idea what you're on about.

2) Yes I do. Players who get bigger than the club need to behave impeccably if they are not to get in a managers way. Both have shown themselves to be disruptive to the manager and to the squad at large, and for various reasons, be it from twatting DJ's, to bawling out teenagers in games, to extended poor periods of performance, to lack of tactical discipline, to underhand contract extensions, to twice begging Chelsea to sign him, to a lack of leadershipon the pitch, and a lack of a voice off it when the manager needed it the mostm, Rafa did more for us in terms of getting rid of Hicks and Gillett than those two ever did. Not to mention whether or not 1of the 100 off-field rumours based around those two is true or not. I've got more respect for the club than to accept this from our two more experienced players, the club and supporters deserve better. Our true leaders are Pepe and Nando, perhaps Lucas and Agger. Guts, intelligence, and self-confidence.

3) You sound like you need a psychiatric evaluation.

4) A sound insight into Gary McAllister, thankyou for your research.

5) I don't expect everyone to 'get it'. For those that do, hello and welcome. For those that don't, please check your hobs at night to ensure they are off.

ROFL

Upto this point I have been against Dalglish coming back but if I were the club I would look to bring Kenny in with Borrell doing the coaching until the end of the season and seeing where we are now. Hopefully they would be able to do enough to see us clear of the relegation zone at least!

Everytime I hear Borrell speak I am very impressed with his views on how the game should be played and how well he has integrated into the Liverpool way of life. In addition the academy teams seem to me to looking to play the game in the right way.

I would even consider Segura. He would be used to the European style of management we now have and if memory serves me correctly was very successful at the club he was at before joining Liverpool. Winning the double I think.

Is it even possible that Dalglish does not want the job for 5 months? Another poster mentioned it on another thread and I think it's spot on. People are angry with the owners for not sacking Roy, but is it possible they have asked Dalglish and he has decided not to risk tarnishing his reputation with a squad that needs to be rebuilt. If he succeeds he still would have to hand it over in 5 months, and if he fails he loses some of the goodwill he has built up with the fans. Maybe he wants it permanently and they are not prepared to do it?

The only proposal for this "caretaker" role seems to be Kenny, and he may not be interested.

Is it even possible that Dalglish does not want the job for 5 months? Another poster mentioned it on another thread and I think it's spot on. People are angry with the owners for not sacking Roy, but is it possible they have asked Dalglish and he has decided not to risk tarnishing his reputation with a squad that needs to be rebuilt. If he succeeds he still would have to hand it over in 5 months, and if he fails he loses some of the goodwill he has built up with the fans. Maybe he wants it permanently and they are not prepared to do it?

The only proposal for this "caretaker" role seems to be Kenny, and he may not be interested.

I'd compere it to when Fowler came back, he was shit overall, got a few tap ins, he was still a legend even though everyone accepted he'd lost his edge. If it was another player we would have been like 'what the fuck is the past it old guy doing with us' but as it was Fowler, his every touch was cheered.

Kenny could get us relegated and it still wouldnt affect his status with me, I'm not everyone so can't say about others. What I will say is that he is a top manager and will surprise the doubters and not fail us. I say that as someone who said Roy would fail us 100% at the start of the season. Kenny is a world class manager who loves LFC, despite what some might say, he hasn't developed Alzeimers he would have us top of the league by this time next year and top 4 this year, he fucking fuck any cunt who fucked with LFC (But in a nice gentlemanly way before my time) and come into Melwood, Gerrard would shit him Tiffany Cufflinks and Torres will have already made on a start on Kenny's hill which our players would run up every day whilst doing keepie uppies between each other, the media would be horrified and everyone's day in work would go quicker.

I shit you not.

Liverpool owners line up Kenny Dalglish as boss Roy Hodgson faces win or bust clash with Bolton

By Dominic King

Last updated at 11:00 PM on 30th December 2010

Comments (0) Add to My Stories

Liverpool owners have reached breaking point with under-fire manager Roy Hodgson. Only a victory against Bolton at Anfield on Saturday is likely to save him following the shambolic defeat by Wolves which led to fans calling for him to be sacked.

With Hodgson seemingly on the brink after just six months, the club have even been forced to deny claims he has already left.

If the patience of owners Fenway Sports Group runs out, Kop hero Kenny Dalglish is a ready-made candidate for a caretaker role with a view to assuming a senior boardroom position once a permanent replacement has been found

Damien Comolli, the club’s director of football strategy, is responsible for identifying the next Anfield boss and the search has taken on fresh urgency after the appalling display in the 1-0 defeat at home on Wednesday against a team who were then bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

The American owners are populists and their eagerness to make the right impression with fans following their takeover in October puts Hodgson on borrowed time, although his good relationship with Comolli is working for him at the moment.

With Liverpool only three points above the relegation zone and having suffered eight defeats in the league already, tomorrow’s game against Bolton has taken on huge significance and a loss will leave the club little room for manoeuvre.

However, Hodgson’s precarious position will not affect Liverpool’s intentions for the January transfer window as Comolli is in charge of recruitment now that chief scout Eduardo Macia has left. Comolli will be backed to sign as many as four players.

A £1.5million deal for Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux is in place and Comolli will have a pivotal role to play in shaping Liverpool’s long-term future.

Although Dalglish may be given a temporary role in charge he and the other fans’ favourite, Rafa Benitez, are not under consideration to take over on a permanent basis.

Hodgson faces an enormous challenge to raise his badly deflated players for the Bolton game, which starts a defining run of five matches in 15 days.

Liverpool face a trip to Blackburn followed by an FA Cup third-round tie against Manchester United before league games against Blackpool and Everton.

He is adamant the players are still with him but Hodgson is unlikely to find any sympathy from the terraces tomorrow.

The 63-year-old said: ‘I have been lucky. The support I have had has been from the players and within the club. I haven’t had a lot of support from the fans ever since I came here. The fans have not been happy with what they have seen in the whole of 2010.’

The Marseille coach, Didier Deschamps, who was interviewed for the post of Liverpool manager in the summer, has moved to distance himself from fresh speculation linking him with Anfield. He has let it be known he would not welcome an approach while Marseille are still in the Champions League and that his long-term aim is to manage the French champions when they move into a refurbished Stade Vélodrome in 2014.

Yeah can we cross him off our list now.

Reluctant fuck.

Liverpool must NOT turn to Rafa Benitez or Kenny Dalglish as Roy Hodgson's replacement | Mail Online

Don't look back! Why Liverpool must NOT turn to Rafa Benitez or Kenny Dalglish as Roy Hodgson's replacement

By Ian Ladyman

Last updated at 11:09 PM on 30th December 2010

It is indicative of Liverpool’s miserable predicament that many of their followers are looking backwards, rather than forwards, for a way out of the mess.

As Roy Hodgson flounders in a role in which he has looked uncomfortable, the names of Kenny Dalglish and Rafael Benitez loom large.

Liverpool supporters have always had a reputation for being knowledgeable.

article-0-0C9AB7F3000005DC-282_634x435.jpg On the brink: Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson

They are romantics too, though, and currently it is dewy-eyed sentimentality and not logic that is turning their thoughts back towards two men from their glorious past.

It seems wrong to be talking of a successor for Hodgson while he — a decent man — still has a job.

article-0-0C91B062000005DC-283_306x463.jpg Come back: Sections of Liverpool fans want Benitez to return as manager

It is unavoidable, though, because last summer’s appointment is losing his battle for acceptance. On the Kop on Wednesday night, a banner read: ‘Rafa Come Home’. Towards the end of a deflating defeat by Wolves, they sang Dalglish’s name.

Between them the two men have won seven major trophies as managers of Liverpool. Dalglish would certainly take the job again while Benitez — back on Merseyside after a disastrous spell at Inter Milan — would inevitably be interested.

Neither, though, should be allowed anywhere near it. Dalglish, at 59, is by no means an old man. His old rival at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson, has a decade on him.

But it is 15 years since he managed successfully — winning the Premier League at Blackburn — and almost 20 years since stress forced him out of Anfield after a 4-4 FA Cup draw with Everton in February 1991.

Quite simply, Dalglish has been away from the sharp end of football too long. The game has changed in many ways since he won Liverpool’s 18th and most recent title.

Many young players, particularly the foreign ones, would not be inspired by the mere mention of his name or his presence in a room. Some — as dreadful as it sounds — would not even know who he was.

A year at Newcastle in 1997 proved that Dalglish’s nerve ends had indeed frayed. He was tetchy with the media. He looked uncomfortable. Fourteen years on and back at a club with which he is synonymous, the demands on Dalglish would be almost impossible to measure. Would he cope?

History suggests that it is unlikely and to see him try — and fail — to turn this great club back round would be too painful to bear. Even as a shortterm fix, the return of King Kenny is a romantic notion and should remain just that.

article-0-09F39A29000005DC-216_634x382.jpg Legend: There's been a clamour for Kenny Dalglish to replace Roy Hodgson in the Anfield hotseat

Benitez, of course, may have a more compelling case. At just 50, the Spaniard is arguably in his peak years as a coach.

Despite his rather dispiriting time at Inter this season, his pedigree remains high and his track record compares favourably to most. By the time he left Anfield last summer, though, Benitez had lost his way and so had his squad, a vast number of whom simply didn’t like him.

article-0-0BEA9A7F000005DC-707_306x423.jpg Forefront: Liverpool's new director of football strategy Damien Comolli

For all his achievements, and despite the testing circumstances under which he undeniably had to work, Liverpool had already seen the best of Benitez.

The fact Hodgson arrived to find a squad so clearly unfit for purpose was not solely Benitez’s fault. Nevertheless, it was partly his fault. For example, Benitez left his successor without a proper, reliable full back on either side.

By the time he left after six remarkable years, his judgment was on the wane, on and off the field. Maybe it could change now that the club are under new ownership. With Tom Hicks and George Gillett back in Texas and former managing director Christian Purslow — with whom he never got on — now marginalised, some Liverpool followers may think Benitez would be able to turn back time.

It’s unlikely. For a start, in Damien Comolli, the modern Liverpool has a director of football strategy, a man who we learn today will be in charge of January’s Anfield transfer business and indeed the appointment of the next manager.

How easily would Benitez work with a man who is now the most powerful football figure at the club?

The answer is clear. He couldn’t. The Spaniard is, after all, one of the modern game’s greatest control freaks.

A look at the current Liverpool squad tells us that Benitez’s name is written right through it. In good ways and in bad. It is clear also, though, that Liverpool need to look forward.

article-0-0C9AC181000005DC-875_634x403.jpg Lacklustre: Liverpool have under performed massively this season

This is a club crying out for new direction rather than a desperate attempt to recycle old formulae. If and when Hodgson does leave then Comolli will be the kingmaker.

As such, there will be few options on the continent who will go unexplored. Already talk of Didier Deschamps of Marseille has circulated and that is understandable.

article-0-0C8A44B7000005DC-83_634x385.jpg Waiting in the wings: Didier Deschamps could be a contender for the Liverpool job

The former French captain has been successful as a coach in his home country. More curious is the touting of 33-year-old Andre Villas-Boas, the Porto coach who has learned all he knows from Jose Mourinho at Inter and at Chelsea.

To appoint someone like that would represent a huge leap of faith and it is hard to see what Villas-Boas would have over domestic candidates such as Bolton’s Owen Coyle or the currently unemployed Martin O’Neill.

What is beyond doubt is that Liverpool face tough decisions. It is to be hoped they make them without feeling the need to look over their shoulders first.

Read more: Liverpool must NOT turn to Rafa Benitez or Kenny Dalglish as Roy Hodgson's replacement | Mail Online

Don't look back! Why Liverpool must NOT turn to Rafa Benitez or Kenny Dalglish as Roy Hodgson's replacement By Ian Ladyman

Last updated at 11:09 PM on 30th December 2010

It is indicative of Liverpool’s miserable predicament that many of their followers are looking backwards, rather than forwards, for a way out of the mess.

As Roy Hodgson flounders in a role in which he has looked uncomfortable, the names of Kenny Dalglish and Rafael Benitez loom large.

Liverpool supporters have always had a reputation for being knowledgeable

They are romantics too, though, and currently it is dewy-eyed sentimentality and not logic that is turning their thoughts back towards two men from their glorious past.

It seems wrong to be talking of a successor for Hodgson while he — a decent man — still has a job.

It is unavoidable, though, because last summer’s appointment is losing his battle for acceptance. On the Kop on Wednesday night, a banner read: ‘Rafa Come Home’. Towards the end of a deflating defeat by Wolves, they sang Dalglish’s name.

Between them the two men have won seven major trophies as managers of Liverpool. Dalglish would certainly take the job again while Benitez — back on Merseyside after a disastrous spell at Inter Milan — would inevitably be interested.

Neither, though, should be allowed anywhere near it. Dalglish, at 59, is by no means an old man. His old rival at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson, has a decade on him.

But it is 15 years since he managed successfully — winning the Premier League at Blackburn — and almost 20 years since stress forced him out of Anfield after a 4-4 FA Cup draw with Everton in February 1991.

Quite simply, Dalglish has been away from the sharp end of football too long. The game has changed in many ways since he won Liverpool’s 18th and most recent title.

Many young players, particularly the foreign ones, would not be inspired by the mere mention of his name or his presence in a room. Some — as dreadful as it sounds — would not even know who he was.

A year at Newcastle in 1997 proved that Dalglish’s nerve ends had indeed frayed. He was tetchy with the media. He looked uncomfortable. Fourteen years on and back at a club with which he is synonymous, the demands on Dalglish would be almost impossible to measure. Would he cope?

History suggests that it is unlikely and to see him try — and fail — to turn this great club back round would be too painful to bear. Even as a shortterm fix, the return of King Kenny is a romantic notion and should remain just that.

Benitez, of course, may have a more compelling case. At just 50, the Spaniard is arguably in his peak years as a coach.

Despite his rather dispiriting time at Inter this season, his pedigree remains high and his track record compares favourably to most. By the time he left Anfield last summer, though, Benitez had lost his way and so had his squad, a vast number of whom simply didn’t like him

For all his achievements, and despite the testing circumstances under which he undeniably had to work, Liverpool had already seen the best of Benitez.

The fact Hodgson arrived to find a squad so clearly unfit for purpose was not solely Benitez’s fault. Nevertheless, it was partly his fault. For example, Benitez left his successor without a proper, reliable full back on either side.

By the time he left after six remarkable years, his judgment was on the wane, on and off the field. Maybe it could change now that the club are under new ownership. With Tom Hicks and George Gillett back in Texas and former managing director Christian Purslow — with whom he never got on — now marginalised, some Liverpool followers may think Benitez would be able to turn back time.

It’s unlikely. For a start, in Damien Comolli, the modern Liverpool has a director of football strategy, a man who we learn today will be in charge of January’s Anfield transfer business and indeed the appointment of the next manager.

How easily would Benitez work with a man who is now the most powerful football figure at the club?

The answer is clear. He couldn’t. The Spaniard is, after all, one of the modern game’s greatest control freaks.

A look at the current Liverpool squad tells us that Benitez’s name is written right through it. In good ways and in bad. It is clear also, though, that Liverpool need to look forward

This is a club crying out for new direction rather than a desperate attempt to recycle old formulae. If and when Hodgson does leave then Comolli will be the kingmaker.

As such, there will be few options on the continent who will go unexplored. Already talk of Didier Deschamps of Marseille has circulated and that is understandable.

The former French captain has been successful as a coach in his home country. More curious is the touting of 33-year-old Andre Villas-Boas, the Porto coach who has learned all he knows from Jose Mourinho at Inter and at Chelsea.

To appoint someone like that would represent a huge leap of faith and it is hard to see what Villas-Boas would have over domestic candidates such as Bolton’s Owen Coyle or the currently unemployed Martin O’Neill.

What is beyond doubt is that Liverpool face tough decisions. It is to be hoped they make them without feeling the need to look over their shoulders first.

Read more: Liverpool must NOT turn to Rafa Benitez or Kenny Dalglish as Roy Hodgson's replacement | Mail Online

Liverpool owners line up Kenny Dalglish as boss Roy Hodgson faces win or bust clash with Bolton

By Dominic King

Last updated at 11:00 PM on 30th December 2010

Liverpool owners have reached breaking point with under-fire manager Roy Hodgson. Only a victory against Bolton at Anfield on Saturday is likely to save him following the shambolic defeat by Wolves which led to fans calling for him to be sacked.

With Hodgson seemingly on the brink after just six months, the club have even been forced to deny claims he has already left.

If the patience of owners Fenway Sports Group runs out, Kop hero Kenny Dalglish is a ready-made candidate for a caretaker role with a view to assuming a senior boardroom position once a permanent replacement has been found

Damien Comolli, the club’s director of football strategy, is responsible for identifying the next Anfield boss and the search has taken on fresh urgency after the appalling display in the 1-0 defeat at home on Wednesday against a team who were then bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

The American owners are populists and their eagerness to make the right impression with fans following their takeover in October puts Hodgson on borrowed time, although his good relationship with Comolli is working for him at the moment.

With Liverpool only three points above the relegation zone and having suffered eight defeats in the league already, tomorrow’s game against Bolton has taken on huge significance and a loss will leave the club little room for manoeuvre.

However, Hodgson’s precarious position will not affect Liverpool’s intentions for the January transfer window as Comolli is in charge of recruitment now that chief scout Eduardo Macia has left. Comolli will be backed to sign as many as four players.

A £1.5million deal for Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux is in place and Comolli will have a pivotal role to play in shaping Liverpool’s long-term future.

Although Dalglish may be given a temporary role in charge he and the other fans’ favourite, Rafa Benitez, are not under consideration to take over on a permanent basis.

Hodgson faces an enormous challenge to raise his badly deflated players for the Bolton game, which starts a defining run of five matches in 15 days.

Liverpool face a trip to Blackburn followed by an FA Cup third-round tie against Manchester United before league games against Blackpool and Everton.

He is adamant the players are still with him but Hodgson is unlikely to find any sympathy from the terraces tomorrow.

The 63-year-old said: ‘I have been lucky. The support I have had has been from the players and within the club. I haven’t had a lot of support from the fans ever since I came here. The fans have not been happy with what they have seen in the whole of 2010.’

King's one of the echo writers right? if so thats brilliant news

edit:just seen its mail, bollocks