You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

I'm not sure it would be a wise move by Rafa to take over Chelsea. That said, at some point it should sink in with Roman that firing your manager every season doesn't really get you anywhere.

I probably agree, but bar City and Arsenal (and us of course), it's probably the only other job he'd take in England.

Guest San Don
Delighted.

The man is a massive tool.

Very shortsighted in the extreme. One of our rivals sacks their manager who's dragging them down and you think that's a good thing? Kinell.

Di Mateo in charge. No way was Benitez taking an intrim role to end of season.

Very shortsighted in the extreme. One of our rivals sacks their manager who's dragging them down and you think that's a good thing? Kinell.

Agree with that. It was clear he never had the support of the players and if they're not playing for you then you get Hodgsonesque footy and results.

It would have been better for us if he'd stuck around and continued to fall out with his big time charlies.

Get Mongo in.

I wonder if the LMA will come out and ask why yet another manager has been sacked too hastily without being given enough time to implement his ideas. In fact, I don't wonder because I'm pretty certain they won't, since he wasn't born in the British Isles and hasn't tossed Whiskeynose's salad.

He made mistakes and the job probably came too early in his career, but he's been hamstrung by the same problems that eventually beset Ancelotti and did for Scolari, in that his preferred methods made different demands of the well-known dressing room clique at that club - demands which meant they couldn't do exactly as they wished, and didn't want to know about, so in thrall were they to Mourinho. So they went crying to their mates in the press and moaned about it to Abramovich. At some point he may realise that it's not the managers that are the problem there, but the group of players he keeps listening to.

I think by the end of 2012, Abramovich will have paid out more in compensation to coaching staff than BP have after the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Guest San Don

Chelshit are talking about getting Guardiola in at the end of the season. That would mean benitez taking the job on as interim manager from day one. it aint going to happen imo. He'd be a mug to take on that job under those conditions

I dont think he'd entertain the job as an interim manager (which he isnt going to be because they have appointed di matteo).

Guest the boy

Benitez would be more suited to the setup at Tottenham, but they lack the finance I feel to make a lasting impact. Modric will leave in the summer - unless they find the money to quadruple his wages - and several other of their top players are on relatively low wages that will have to be boosted substantially to keep them at the club. Bale for example is on 70k a week -- laughably, less than Carragher. Spurs will probably suffer in the manner we did, when it came to having to increase the wages of Torres, Reina, Alonso, Gerrard etc. which left substantially less funds for bringing new players in.

At Chelsea I presume he'd have near enough a blank chequebook. They're in need of massive reconstruction, but that might suit Rafa down to the ground.

Guest San Don
I wonder if the LMA will come out and ask why yet another manager has been sacked too hastily without being given enough time to implement his ideas. In fact, I don't wonder because I'm pretty certain they won't, since he wasn't born in the British Isles and hasn't tossed Whiskeynose's salad.

He made mistakes and the job probably came too early in his career, but he's been hamstrung by the same problems that eventually beset Ancelotti and did for Scolari, in that his preferred methods made different demands of the well-known dressing room clique at that club - demands which meant they couldn't do exactly as they wished, and didn't want to know about, so in thrall were they to Mourinho. So they went crying to their mates in the press and moaned about it to Abramovich. At some point he may realise that it's not the managers that are the problem there, but the group of players he keeps listening to.

I think by the end of 2012, Abramovich will have paid out more in compensation to coaching staff than BP have after the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The lma would be pissing in the wind if they did and they know it because, commerade abramovich runs chelshit as an autocrisy. He wont give a fuck what the lma.

And the money he's shelling out is pocket money to him so he'll carry on as before.

Guest San Don
Benitez would be more suited to the setup at Tottenham, but they lack the finance I feel to make a lasting impact. Modric will leave in the summer - unless they find the money to quadruple his wages - and several other of their top players are on relatively low wages that will have to be boosted substantially to keep them at the club. Bale for example is on 70k a week -- laughably, less than Carragher. Spurs will probably suffer in the manner we did, when it came to having to increase the wages of Torres, Reina, Alonso, Gerrard etc. which left substantially less funds for bringing new players in.

At Chelsea I presume he'd have near enough a blank chequebook. They're in need of massive reconstruction, but that might suit Rafa down to the ground.

What the fuck has our wage structure and how we reward our players got to do, even laughingly, at how much spurs pay bale? Has bale won a champions league yet? Or an FA Cup?

Rafa doesn't really have that many choices. Unless he wants to take on a lower table team then it is either Chelsea with the Russian or Spurs with Levy.

Exactly, I don't think it would be a bad move at all for him especially if it was just till the end of the season. It would get him back into circulation, Chelsea are in a real slump by their standards and given the reputation they have for sacking managers it wouldn't do him any damage even if it didn't work out.

Guest the boy
What the fuck has our wage structure and how we reward our players got to do, even laughingly, at how much spurs pay bale?

Absolutely everything. The mismanagement of our budget harms our progress on the field. The more effective Spurs become at utilising their budget -- keeping Bale around for as long as they can with a wage on which he over performs against market average or players in that position in competing teams -- the further we'll fall behind. Tottenham are catching us up financially off-the-field. We no longer have the financial edge to be able to wantonly waste money. Yet that is what we have done, and more grossly than ever before in the club's history.

What Gareth Bale has won is absolutely irrelevant to his quality as a player. Spurs have gained the edge on us by systematically going out and getting players that perform above the average of what is being paid for players in those positions at the clubs around them. They pay their core 11 substantially less than we pay ours.

EDIT: Just to add, to stay relevant to the discussion, if Chelsea bring in a system of management that can get the most points out of every £ they spend on fees/wages, we will truly be fucked.

Edited by the boy

Ray Wilkins just said,

'Capello has got a fantastic record at club level and would be a good appointment, but Rafa Benitez would struggle because he is a 4-4-2 Merchant!'

Absolutely clueless! Capello is the one who has rigidly stuck to 4-4-2 throughout his career, When has Benitez ever really played 4-4-2?

Dont think Lampard , Drogba and the rest of the trouble makers would be happy with Rafa ..... it certainly would make for an interesting next episode in the soap opera that is Chelsea.

Think out of City , Spurs , Arsenal and Chelsea Chelsea would of been the last one Rafa would want , i wouldn't cry or criticise him for taking it , he would do well with them once he gets that dressing room in order.