You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Premier League sides Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are all reportedly tracking the 17-year-old Saints midfielder, who has scored four goals in 16 League One appearances this season.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has been dubbed the next Theo Walcottspacer.gif but Adkins insists he will not be leaving St Mary's.spacer.gif

"He's part of the club's future," Adkins said in The People.

"We have a lot of talented players and I can see why Premier League clubs might come knocking.

"But we are in a sound financial position and do not need to sell anyone. There have not been any bids and nor would they be welcome."

Oxlade-Chamberlain burst onto the scene at Southamptonspacer.gif earlier in the year, making his first-team debut in March to become the club's second-youngest ever player behind Walcott

Sky Sports | Football News | League 1 | Southampton | Saints warn clubs off starlet

There is no way Glen Johnson is on £120k a week. No fucking way. The mail are just guessing with those figures. Babel is still on his original contract isn't he? There's no chance we'd have signed a 19yr old and stuck him on £70k a week from the off. Ludicrous media bullshit

That would make Johnson on the highest pay packet at the club which is bullshit.

IMO The top three earners are:

Gerrard

Torres

Cole

That would make Johnson on the highest pay packet at the club which is bullshit.

IMO The top three earners are:

Gerrard

Torres

Cole

Gerrard's contracts have never really been a secret, he signed the £120k a week one after the Chelsea incident, and since then he signed the improved £130k one. Torres originally got £90k but signed the new deal 18 months ago, which bumped him upto £120k i think. Cole's £90k is common knowledge but he only got that because he was a free transfer. I'd heard differing stories about Johnson - some claiming he was on £60k, others say £80k but the Mail coming out with tripe like that is a fucking joke, Glen Johnson earning the same as Gerrard and Torres? Fuck off Daily Fail.

Interesting. Would Dzeko be an ideal partner for Torres, or the ideal replacement?

Both. He's a great big bastard and can be a target man with Torres playing off him, but he can also lead the line by himself. Perfect.

There is no way Glen Johnson is on £120k a week. No fucking way. The mail are just guessing with those figures. Babel is still on his original contract isn't he? There's no chance we'd have signed a 19yr old and stuck him on £70k a week from the off. Ludicrous media bullshit

Johnson is on 90-100K p/w isn't he? I'm pretty sure Babel was on 55kish.

Luis Suarez desea jugar en España · Fútbol · Deportes · Terra

"I'd like a change of air. I want to improve, and I do not mean financially. Improve in football, learn, and demonstrate other conditions that suddenly I can not show in Dutch football, "he said.

'I'd love to take that step, my dream is to play in the Spanish league. But there are things that I decide, "said Suarez.

Orient v MK Dons was called off today (phew!) so - my 11 year old being desperate to catch a game during our 2 weeks back in London - I drove over to Loftus Road to watch QPR v Swansea.

I mention this because I was hugely impressed by QPR's Adel Taarabt. Playing on the left - but drifting anywhere he could cause problems - he was excellent, scoring 2 and making one of QPR's 4 goals. He was the best player on the pitch by far. His second goal was particularly good, involving a sublime piece of skill to take two players out of the game before curling the ball around the 'keeper from a good distance out.

Still young (21, I think?), and initially brought to the UK by Damien Comolli, he looks set to show that his 2 years at Spurs were simply a case of too much too soon. He is a real talent and, after what I saw of him today, I would be happy if Comolli went calling for him again. Not sure how much he would cost (QPR look destined for promotion and will surely want to hang on to him for as long as they can) but I think he left Spurs for a pretty low price in the summer - less than 1m, I think.

Almost everyone on the radio was ringing in to wax lyrical about Taarabt before.

He was very good. It was the first time I've seen him play but knew of him from his brief stay at Spurs where I don't think he ever really featured - must have been very young when he went there, though, and was being hyped a fair bit from what I remember.

It was great to watch a player who was clearly enjoying himself and playing with a lot of creative freedom. He is definitely playing at a level below where he could/should be.

at Spurs where I don't think he ever really featured - must have been very young when he went there, though, and was being hyped a fair bit from what I remember.

Interestingly enough, there's always a lot of hype about youngsters Spurs sign. Even Matthew Etherington and Simon Davies, who have both been nothing more than decent, mid-table Premiership footballers, were hyped as the next big things when they were signed from Peterborough. The same goes for Naughton and Walker from Sheffield United. Something Spurs seem to be good at!

They are, but just because we could be signing another striker doesn't mean we're selling Nando.

True...Torres plays well on his own upfront (when he is the focal point).

I personally dont think you would get the best out of him with someone else beside him.

Add the fact the way we are progressing in the league..we wont be in the champions league again next season. leaves a frustarting striker.

Realistically do you see Torres staying if a bid comes in next season?

I really like the look of Albrighton. He isn't the quickest, but he is hard working, has a good first touch and keeps possession.

But most importantly his final product is brilliant and this is the most valuable asset for a wide player.

He puts the ball in the right areas, with simple, but very dangerous balls - just as Beckham used to do.

I think he'd be a really good signing for us in the long term.

We cant have it both ways Lads we were missing out on players because others where willing to pay more than us

Johnson is a decent player and so two is Joe Cole the likes of Babel and a few others on the fringe of the squad on big money should be moved on the kids should be the back up to a first 18 of excellent players what we have at the min is SMALL NUMBER that fit that bill and to many avarage players on big money we should only be signing the very best players if they arnt available then dont spend the money leave the space in the squad untill it can be filled and use the kids in the position

If the kid shines he saves us multi millions if he dosent then we spend and fill in other words the way we used to be

We should only be going for Players on the A list dont bother with B or C names it would take only a couple of transfer windows to sort the problem out

True...Torres plays well on his own upfront (when he is the focal point).

I personally dont think you would get the best out of him with someone else beside him.

Add the fact the way we are progressing in the league..we wont be in the champions league again next season. leaves a frustarting striker.

Realistically do you see Torres staying if a bid comes in next season?

Nando is no mug. He will know that Hodgson won't be around next season.

Will he face another season of not playing in the Champs league?

Even though we've been utter shite, it's still conceivable we could finish in the top four with 2 or 3 quality signings.

Torres gave us the benifit of the doubt in the summer and stayed loyal you cant expect the Lad to do the same again if we dont make top 4 this season as that will be 2 season without CL football to do a job and rid the first and that is if we do get there next season

From what i make from reading between the lines Hodgson as been brought in to do a hatchet Job on the top earners at the club. He will move on as many as he can and no one is above getting the chop.

If the money is right a deal will be done for both Torres and Gerrard that will give the new man coming in around 150m to build a team with.

That wont be advertised or confirmed but i think we will see the prosess start in Jan and continue in the summer with a high earner out and a cheaper younger player signed like Arsenals way of doing Transfers

Arsenal's players are not on cheap wages though. Their wage bill is one of the highest in the league. If the top earners are getting sold to build a new team then I wouldn't be disappointed really.

Jovanivic Agger and Babel would be no loss to the squad, and if removing them 3 and say Kuyt(I like Dirk but time to sell) ment we could bring in a top class centre half and winger on £100k a week for £15-20m a piece the squad will be much better off for an outlay net of around £10m in transfer fees. Far to much cash been wasted on wages for players that offer nothing