You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Chief

Rafa: should he stay or should he go?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Rafa: should he stay or should he go?

• I want him to stay.
    • I want him out now.
    • I wanna give him to the end of the season
    • Has your opinion changed? Yes, I'm now for Rafa.
    • Has your opinion changed? Yes i'm now Against Rafa

I want him to stay even though I must admit that my belief in him has weakened a bit. He is a good manager with two Spanish league titles (with a team that weren't favourites). And those who want him gone, who would you be happy with as our manager? I doubt we could attract the top names given our ownership issue, so you would probably have to settle with someone like Fat Sam or Steve Mcclaren.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting numbers now

Reality is once you have lost it you never get it back

If someone can give me another example of a manager losing it completely and then getting it back and going on to win something with the players who have lost faith in the manager Id love to hear it.

Interesting numbers now

Reality is once you have lost it you never get it back

If someone can give me another example of a manager losing it completely and then getting it back and going on to win something with the players who have lost faith in the manager Id love to hear it.

The players who have lost faith in the manager????

I won't ask you what you are basing this on, because I think I know. The magic talking tumbleweed that rolls around your mind told you all about it.

Id be prepared to give him to the end of the season. I like Rafa as a man that’s the main reason I’m prepared to give him a bit of more time. Saying that if he went tomorrow and we brought in one of Hiddink, Hodgson or Mourinho i wouldn’t be to arsed.

Also if we where going to change it it should of happened at the start of the month. Its a bit late for somebody new to get any players. The fact that he has signed Maxi would indicate he is staying until the end of season at least.

The owners are to blame for much of the current situation but Rafa must also take responsibility for the performance of the team. Its his job to make players play to the top of their game and he ain’t achieving it. Babbel is not a shit player. Once he leaves and plays under a different manager I think he will perform to a much higher standard. The amount of players who don’t play to their full potential at our club is ridiculously high. That has to be put at the managers and staff's door.

The players who have lost faith in the manager????

I won't ask you what you are basing this on, because I think I know. The magic talking tumbleweed that rolls around your mind told you all about it.

The performances on the pitch and the views of Danny Murphy and Aldridge would be a good starting point.

I voted for him to stay. I have been very critical of Rafa at times and rightly so but I also recognise that he has done a hell of a lot right too. I would keep him because I believe he should be allowed one bad season. Also I recognise that he is despite his flaws one of the very best managers in the world - two la ligas, Champions League win, UEFA Cup win, FA Cup win, Champions League finalist, League Cup finalist etc. That list of trophies he has won is more than most of the realistic managerial targets we have to go for have won in their entire careers put together (and he is still relatively young).

I feel if you are going to get rid of a manager like that make sure that either the person likely to be lined up has a similar or preferably superior record (there are only a handful in world football and we are unlikely to attract any of them with our current et up), or in the worst case scenario that the people making the change have the football nous to spot a younger manager with the potential to become a great manager soon. Does anybody think our two clowns could do that? Remember these are the clowns who thought Klinsmann was a good candidate based on him having good contacts at Adidas and Nike or something like that.

I don't want us to sack Rafa and then regret it for years when we have someone of the calibre of Klinsmann or worse in charge.

I voted for him to stay. I have been very critical of Rafa at times and rightly so but I also recognise that he has done a hell of a lot right too. I would keep him because I believe he should be allowed one bad season. Also I recognise that he is despite his flaws one of the very best managers in the world - two la ligas, Champions League win, UEFA Cup win, FA Cup win, Champions League finalist, League Cup finalist etc. That list of trophies he has won is more than most of the realistic managerial targets we have to go for have won in their entire careers put together (and he is still relatively young).

I feel if you are going to get rid of a manager like that make sure that either the person likely to be lined up has a similar or preferably superior record (there are only a handful in world football and we are unlikely to attract any of them with our current et up), or in the worst case scenario that the people making the change have the football nous to spot a younger manager with the potential to become a great manager soon. Does anybody think our two clowns could do that? Remember these are the clowns who thought Klinsmann was a good candidate based on him having good contacts at Adidas and Nike or something like that.

I don't want us to sack Rafa and then regret it for years when we have someone of the calibre of Klinsmann or worse in charge.

Same flawed logic that kept Houllier in a season too long

There is not one example of where a manager at a top club who has lost it has been able to turn it around

Only good thing for Rafa is O'Neil, Manicini & Redknapp are doing there best to keep Rafa in a job.

Reality is right now Klinnsman would do a better job than Rafa

There is not one example of where a manager at a top club who has lost it has been able to turn it around

Only good thing for Rafa is O'Neil, Manicini & Redknapp are doing there best to keep Rafa in a job.

I thought Rafa had lost it last year and then we went on a fantastic run till the end of the season.

Disagree on Houllier - he never had a track record anywhere near as good as Rafa's before joining us and he was consistently found out in the Champion's League unlike Rafa.

We all think of sucess as trophies in the cabinet, yet we have won nothing since the FA cup and comady shield in 06, nothing on the horizon this season making it 4 years without any silverware. His contract negotiations hinged on us leading the prem last year, which we failed to take due to negative tactics and his customary bizarre substitutions. Now these 2 things plus the players not playing the way they were have landed us in a crisis. You can't blame the lack of funds as he has had alot over his tenure but the team isn't as strong as it should be with some very dubious signings.

I can understand why people are wnating him to stay as alot of the time it's better the devil you know and who would want to come to us in the present boardroom climate.

Something has to happen and fast if we are to mount a serious challenge on 4th spot in the league, we cannot rely on the teams above us dropping points, especially as we are dropping as many if not more than they are.

I don't know the answer to our troubles but something has to be done and quickly.

The performances on the pitch and the views of Danny Murphy and Aldridge would be a good starting point.

For "performances on the pitch" read "whatever Red Nick chooses to read into the performances".

And whether or not ex-players lose faith is about as relevant as whether you or I lose faith.

I'm not having a pop at your opinions (although I disagree with them) but please don't try to represent them as facts or "reality".

Want him to stay !00%

He's the glue that is holding the club together.

Without him we will fall to fucking pieces.

The problems at our club do not start and end with Rafa

Sure, he's fucked up many times this season. Sure, he's made a few questionable decisons. But he hasnt been helped with injuries to our most important players.

Form is temporary, Class is permanant

Hands tied behind his back, he has helped the club PUNCH ABOVE ITS WEIGHT FOR THE LAST 4/5 YEARS

We dont have the devine right to be winning trophies year after fucking year.

Anyone who thinks a change of manager is the answer should ask themselves

What manager worth their salt would take over a club that is as unstable as ours.

A club who's owners do not speak

A club who's board has not met IN ALMOST 3 FUCKING YEARS

A club that is selling players to finance the debts we have

A club that can't compete with Spurs, Aston Villa and even Sunderland, let alone Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City

Reality checks are needed.

People on here hate the owners and yet they want us to get rid of a world class manager and let these clowns replace him?

This is rafas only bad season and we are only four points behind these other teams who are having there best season in years.

People have short memories, the profile of LFC has gone way up since rafa has been here and our starting line up when all fit is the best lfc team I have seen in my lifetime (Im 23) and lets not forget rafa has won us trophies and brought us great nights and games we will always remember.

Sacking rafa would be a massive mistake and a backwards step, fuck listening to all these cunts putting rafa down and trying to get him sacked just look at what he has done for the club compared to what we had to deal with in the 90s and under houllier.

Rafa has to have atleast then end of this season and next, houliier got that and the team he got together was a lot shitter then the one we have now.Rafa knows where we are weak and should have the summer to put things right, if at the end of next season things were are bad as this then would be the time to consider his future, not now or at the end of the season

We have an example with our current manager, he finished 5th with valencia and the next season won the league and uefa cup, also saying rafa has lost it is wrong

I was prepared to give him until the end of the season. I eat humble pie last season as Rafa and the team turned things around. Have some good memories still.

I like the man, but I don't think he can turn it around now and even if he did can you imagine what the press would start the next time we go through a bad patch?

We need fresh ideas, motivation, belief, courage, respect and conviction. We need a natural leader not one trained to lead.

We need to start again - we have massive problems. Owners, Manager then players.

This fucking summer better be big, it has to big enough to swallow that fat texan punk and squash that puny irritable Canadian zit.

Want him to stay !00%

The problems at our club do not start and end with Rafa

Sure, he's fucked up many times this season. Sure, he's made a few questionable decisons. But he hasnt been helped with injuries to our most important players.

Form is temporary, Class is permanant

Hands tied behind his back, he has helped the club PUNCH ABOVE ITS WEIGHT FOR THE LAST 4/5 YEARS

We dont have the devine right to be winning trophies year after fucking year.

Anyone who thinks a change of manager is the answer should ask themselves

What manager worth their salt would take over a club that is as unstable as ours.

A club who's owners do not speak

A club who's board has not met IN ALMOST 3 FUCKING YEARS

A club that is selling players to finance the debts we have

A club that can't compete with Spurs, Aston Villa and even Sunderland, let alone Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City

Reality checks are needed.

"Punch above it's weight for 4/5 years"? Are you for fucking real? We are Liverpool Football Club, one of the most successful clubs IN THE WORLD, we don't "punch above our weight". we belong at the top level while we know it's not a divine right to win trophies, it's OUR divine right that we are thought of as one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Wenger struggled for fourth last season and is now challenging for the title I really do not get all this stuff about rafa has lost it, this is his only bad season since he has been here and it is down to injuries and not enough investment.

It looks like people will only realise what a great manager rafa is when he is gone and we end up with someone like klinsman

"Punch above it's weight for 4/5 years"? Are you for fucking real? We are Liverpool Football Club, one of the most successful clubs IN THE WORLD, we don't "punch above our weight". we belong at the top level while we know it's not a divine right to win trophies, it's OUR divine right that we are thought of as one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Its attitudes like that.....

We area big club, of course we are. But devine right? Save your romanticised bullshit for someone that will take it.

Football is a ruthless business, clubs and fans a like expect things to happen. Expect success to fall into our laps. No hard work needed. A manager should win trophies....fuck the circumstances

Time for you to get in the real world matey...

Before Rafa arrived, we were a footnote in European football....a fallen giant, "the once great".

Us being knocked out of the champions league group stages was a shock to the whole of Europe. That speaks volumes.

Rafa is a victim of his own success.

I'd imagine no manager, anywhere would be able to satisfy your needs mate.

'Devine right'

Fucking listen to yourself.

Holding the club together? Are you taking the piss? Nobody, absolutely nobody is holding the club together at the minute.

Were already falling to pieces and whether you like it or not Rafa is playing a big part in that.

His time is up, no question.

Out now.

We certainly haven't punched above our weight for 4 or 5 years. We've underachieved in that time largely. It's complete nonsense to suggest that we've overachieved over that period. Madness and fanboyism.

Fanboyism? You make that up, all by yourself?

We have underachieved in 4 or five years?

Care to explain why you feel we have underachieved?

Two European Cup finals, League Cup Final, FA Cup Final, European Cup football year in, year out, Second in the league last year with our highest points total EVER

All on the transfer budget of a mid-table side.

I despair.