You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pointless blaming councils or comparing to countries who deal with conditions like this all year round. These are abnormal conditions for us and it's the same all over the country as we'll see with the glut of games being called off. Sunderland has gone now too.

If a few fans watching us in warmer climates are put out by the decision that's just tough. The safety of our matchgoiung fans is paramount.

The blame for this really should fall at the Council’s door. None of the roads in Anfield have been gritted. There’s black ice all over Priory Road where the coaches park as I found out yesterday when my car hit a patch and slid just before the lights.

It beggars belief that the Council haven’t done anything to rectify this problem as the local economy benefits greatly from the visitors to the city and they’ve done fuck all to make sure this game goes ahead.

If anyone thinks this game should go ahead, then they need to take a look around Anfield because the area in its present state is too dangerous to accommodate that many people. It doesn’t matter about who may to be blame or what the club have or haven’t done, it’s simply too dangerous.

Man up ye big poof.

Ours ran out on the first night it started falling and they still haven't sorted out the roads. Even if the others are the same it would be just our council to say it's OK cos a few other places have been just as shit as we have.

I'm not fucking wools

I feel sorry for anyone who was planning to go, including all the local supporters. There's just something about being geared up for a big match for the weekend and then when it's called off it leaves you at a loose end.

I won't bite too hard on the wools thing. Lots of good reds live all over. Obviously the heartland for the supporters is in close proximity to the ground, as it should be. But LFC has captured hearts all over the country and all around the world, and that is a good thing. The 'day-tripper' sort of person is often misguided, granted, but the best cure for that is a bit of education by coming into contact with good reds.

Matches off

Saturday January 9

Barclays Premier League

Burnley v Stoke

Fulham v Portsmouth

Coca-Cola Championship

Middlesbrough v Swansea

Preston v Doncaster

QPR v Plymouth

Sheffield Wednesday v Peterborough

Reading v Newcastle

Watford v Sheffield United

Coca-Cola League One

Brighton v Brentford

Bristol Rovers v Stockport

Carlisle v Millwall

Charlton v Hartlepool

Gillingham v Tranmere

Milton Keynes Dons v Swindon

Oldham v Leyton Orient

Southampton v Huddersfield

Southend v Walsall

Yeovil v Colchester

Coca-Cola League Two

Aldershot v Rochdale

Bury v Darlington

Cheltenham v Hereford

Crewe v Grimsby

Lincoln v Accrington

Morecambe v Burton

Notts County v Macclesfield

Port Vale v Bradford

Rotherham v Bournemouth

Shrewsbury v Barnet

Torquay v Dagenham

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90FR8m-zEH4&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=17"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90FR8m-zEH4&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=17" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Turning this into a Xabi thread is a new low

You've got to admire the discipline of it. More than 5 pages and immediately something clicks.

The Scottish Government and most councils have been unequivocal in saying that there is enough grit and salt; here in Edinburgh, for example, all the roads are fine and buses are actually a few minutes faster than normal. Pavements are a different matter,though.

This could of course be the club covering it's own arse. If the game goes ahead, and someone tries to sue due to injury then the club can say they told the FA to cancel it, but they refused the request.

That's a really decent shout to be fair.

As i was saying earlier, they have to be able demonstrate that they've done everything that is reasonably possible to ensure safety.

If someone slipped and died then the club could hold their hands up and say "we told you so".

EDIT- But i still think it's about fucking money.

Officially the Premier League rules say:

Postponement of League Matches

13. A League Match shall not be postponed or abandoned except:

13.1 when on the date fixed for it to be played either the Home Club or the Visiting Club is competing in a competition permitted by Rules E.10.1, E.10.2, and E.10.3; or

13.2 with the approval of or on the instructions of the officiating referee; or

13.3 by order of the police or other authority exercising its statutory powers to that effect; or

13.4 on the instructions of or with the prior written consent of the Board.

Im guessing thats the one it will be postponed under?

Liverpool are hopefull that all daytrippers will still travel as the 3 club shops in the city WILL be open

Don't get what you're getting at here. All shops in town will be open as they don't attract over 40,000 people to turn up within a 2 hour time frame. Whatever the reason for the request, this is irrelevant

I cant see how they could refuse it when it has already happend twice I think this season due to conditions around the ground. One was Wigan I think I dont know what the other one was.

and the conditions now are far worse than they where at that point. Also as pointed out by RR the rules are there and im sure we must of requested under those rules.

The ridcullous thing is it'll be a week since this weather hit and all but the main roads haven't been gritted or salted. The road outside ours in basically undriveable. It's like driving on glass. Why do we pay the highest council tax in the country?

You don't pay the highest council tax in the country. You did under the previous Labour administration. It's somewhere around the middle now.

Meanwhile, this is the current gritting situation:

"The major roads network were gritted last night (Thursday) and there was also further gritting of bus routes and danger spots throughout the night.

The city received 130 tonnes of rock salt yesterday and two wagons are returning from Salt Union in Winsford with a further 40 tonnes.

Teams of staff will be working until 10pm tonight clearing ice and snow from pavements at bus and rail stations, priority pavements in the city centre and district shopping centres and at pedestrian crossings. They will start again at 4am tomorrow."

FWIW, national guidelines only state that a minimum of 25% of roads should be gritted.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
So. Fucking. What.

if fans want to travel, let them. That's THEIR choice.

Those who really want to come will make it. We don't live in the Arctic circle!!!

It's a joke.

When did this "areas around the ground not being safe" shit creep in??

I don't ever rememebr games being cancelled in the past unless visilibilty was poor or the pitch was unplayable.

This is all about money. Plain and simple. Less fans at the game = less money received by the clubs.

It's has shit all to with "crowd safety" or else it would be the police doing the request, not the clubs.

Doubt it Tom, not with the game being broadcast on SKY anyway, and I would imagine, given the lack of spares, that it's sold out anyway.

Probably cost the club a fair bit by postponing it, for whatever reason

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

Load of shit.

I was at the ground yesterday getting tickets and all the roads were sound. Footpaths were icy but the club should be paying for people to grit them.

Town is sound today too. Just pay people to grit the pavement.

Since when did the roads and pavements become the clubs problems?

Doubt it Tom, not with the game being broadcast on SKY anyway, and I would imagine, given the lack of spares, that it's sold out anyway.

Maybe.

What's the returns policy these days though? How late can you leave it for a refund on your ticket?

Mate of mine got a ticket on a returns from the club yesterday, so there's clearly people having second thoughts on whether or not to travel.

People may also, on the day itself choose not to go, and that costs the club money as they're not spending in the stadium etc.

then there's the international fans who's flights are disrupted or cancelled and won't make it to Liverpool

It may well have sold out, but I doubt very much that it'll be a full house on Sunday, if it even goes ahead, and that costs the club £.