You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Cup QF, 2nd Leg vs Chelsea

The Chef

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with a lot of the blog piece. That night & the next day I wouldn't have given anything for our chances, now just a sneaking feeling we may have the opportunity to do something.

Winning today, without injuries, and winning well was important. The huddle, led by Carragher and the aggression of Mascherano. Chelsea's result cannot have greatly helped their psyche and might well give Rafa some food for thought, and they didn't lose (unlikely to lose 2 home games in a row). Hiddink did a job on us and I can see Rafa putting a bit of extra overtime in on returning the favour. We need Gerrard fit and mentally right, but we don't need an early goal. I think we do need to be within one score of drawing with 15 to go, and I think they'll score as well. Hyppia up front is a good shout, but not until late on. He's owed for the pen he never got last year.

Guest the boy

Babel would be the obvious surprise package. He's hit and miss in equally extreme quantities. But it may be a risk to take ahead of, say, Riera, who's a tidy player but doesn't possess that moment of magic Babel can come up with, regardless of how bad he's been for much of the season. Don't think he'll get anywhere near the team though.

If people are seriously contemplating starting with Hyypia well, that's ridiculous.

we don't need an early goal. I think we do need to be within one score of drawing with 15 to go, and I think they'll score as well.

agree with this entirely. I don't know why everyone is so fixated on an early goal; it could serve to make their job that more obvious, or make the game far too open as was Wednesday night. As of right now, I imagine they'll be caught in two minds of what to do; sit back and invite us onto them as we did to them at Anfield for much of the 05 game, and Villa did to United for the last 20 minutes last week, or try and get at us and end the tie.

1-1 or 1-0 at half time would do me. If we do get through, a last minute peach will be written in the stars.

Guest the boy

I'm imagining a game not dissimilar to Arsenal at Anfield last season. Ultimately, as today showed, with Torres in the team anything is possible. I'd only play Gerrard if he was both physically and mentally fit, not out of saving him for the league, but simply because we'd be a better proposition with Benayoun in that role than a Gerrard taken right out of Wednesday night.

We'll win 4-0, Frank Lampard will get 2 stone fatter, Drogba will start using a decent conditioner on his hair, Ivanovic will get a decent haircut to replace his bowlhead, Ceach will finally fingd the dildo that is missing off his headgear, John Terry will start crying his eyes out yet again ain the stands and his ma will get banged by a load of scallies on Barnes' coaches after she's been caught shoplifting from Tesco's - you heard it here first.