You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

All in favour of soliders being prosecuted for violating the law, I just don't understand how you can wipe the slate clean for one side under the Good Friday Agreement, but not the other.

This might help you understand what happened. 

https://www.thejournal.ie/aidan-mcanespie-trial-judgement-5929914-Nov2022/

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

Well it clearly is, isn't it. Amnesty for republican paramilitaries, but not for British soldiers. If there's going to be amnesty in the interests of reconciliation, it should surely be across the board.

The amnesty covered sets of prisoners of paramilitary groups on both sides of the divide. It didn't cover Brittish soldiers who were there to keep the peace but, instead, were killing innocent civilians and feeding information to loyalist paramilitaries. 

You know the other day on the Corbyn thread when you implied it's nobody's business but your own because you're a Jew and other posters aren't? Maybe you could try practicing what you preach over here in this thread too, please. Unless, of course, you're a former Brittish soldier.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Carradona said:

The amnesty covered sets of prisoners of paramilitary groups on both sides of the divide. It didn't cover Brittish soldiers who were there to keep the peace but, instead, were killing innocent civilians and feeding information to loyalist paramilitaries. 

That's the entire point I've been making, if you bother to try to understand. Why shouldn't it cover British soldiers too? Especially if, as you claim, they were basically just loyalist paramilitaries themselves.

Still, at least you're attempting to engage now rather than just negging for no reason.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

That's the entire point I've been making, if you bother to try to understand. Why shouldn't it cover British soldiers too? Especially if, as you claim, they were basically just loyalist paramilitaries themselves.

Still, at least you're attempting to engage now rather than just negging for no reason.

outstanding-gif-5.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Strontium said:

It didn't and shouldn't cover Brit soldiers because they weren't supposed to be there committing heinous crimes. But they were. And then there was the cover up that followed.

I negged you because you were talking bollocks. You have gone back in time to neg old posts of mine because you're a hysterical fanny. Now go back to the Corbyn thread and try lecture everyone about how your life is at risk and you're the only person who can understand it. I'm not going to engage with you here.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Strontium said:

So what's the difference then? You're the one who wants to impose a double standard, you need to justify it. I'll oppose double standards until the day I die.

It's really simple, unless you choose not to understand it.

Paramilitaries were murdering cunts and after much negotiations, they needed to be included in the GFA as a condition for decommissioning of weapons. 

The British soldiers were supposed to be there to keep the peace. They were murdering innocent people. Why should they get a pass on that? They aren't part of the GFA and weren't a condition for the decommissioning of weapons.

• Upvote 2

I just feel if you're going to forgive people for past transgressions, then you should forgive everyone involved. It doesn't seem fair to exclude the poor bastards sent into a situation not of their own making. You say why should soldiers get a pass, well - why should anyone get a pass? Because that's how you move on.

16 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I just feel if you're going to forgive people for past transgressions, then you should forgive everyone involved. It doesn't seem fair to exclude the poor bastards sent into a situation not of their own making. You say why should soldiers get a pass, well - why should anyone get a pass? Because that's how you move on.

If you're representing a state you are (or should be) governed by different rules, otherwise where do you draw the line?

Do you pardon German troops who killed civilians, do you pardon coppers who took money from the Krays?

This is why the CIA use mercenaries and Blackwater types for specific jobs, as they're more free to get cunty.

"Is that what you think, huh? Terrorists? well, I don't see anyone tearing up your house because you're lrish... hauling your arse onto the street... getting the shit kicked out of you by soldiers for fun? The Brits have never been in lreland by invitation, so who's the terrorist?"

"And you dared to call me a terrorist while you looked down your gun
When I think of all the deeds that you had done
You had plundered many nations, divided many lands
You had terrorized their peoples, you ruled with an iron hand
And you brought this reign of terror to my land"

"Twas on a Sunday evening the sun was in the sky
As he walked his way to the Gaelic pitch never thinking he was going to die
But as he crossed the checkpoint the sound of gunfire came
The news spread through the border town Aiden McAnespie was slain

For years he was harassed by the forces of the crown
As he went to his work every day he left his native town
The soldiers swore they'd get him the reason no one can say
And sure enough they murdered him in cold blood that sunny day

Oh why did you do it?
Have you not the guts to say
You say it was an accident or even a ricochet
But like Loughgall and Gibraltar you're lies are well renowned
You murdered Aiden McAnespie on his way to the Gaelic ground"

Food for thought. I could say "consistency folks" but we all know that doesn't exist. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...