You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Voronin (or: Why are our scouts so shit?)

Strontium

That's the main issue, really.

But Crouch hasn't been good this season, is my main issue!

The way I see it is that Crouch was initially used by Rafa as the fulcrum of the attack, playing balls into him, with runners off. This season it's changed so now the focus of the attack (in most games) is playing Torres in behind the defence. Torres has been told to operate right up front in the centre of the pitch - he's said this in interviews as it's different to how he was playing at Atletico. Rafa, I think, obviously wants slightly split strikers, so if you're playing Torres as the main man up top, you're negating the way we've used Crouch in the past. If you play Crouch in the same role then you're changing the position we play Torres, and he may not have been in the positions to score so many goals this season.

You might not agree with Rafa in that he could just play both Crouch and Torres up front, or that it would be better to have Crouch up top with Torres a bit deeper and making runs past him. But for me that is the reason Crouch hasn't appeared so much this season, and when he has appeared he's been mainly ineffective.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Crouch hasn't been good this season, is my main issue!

The way I see it is that Crouch was initially used by Rafa as the fulcrum of the attack, playing balls into him, with runners off. This season it's changed so now the focus of the attack (in most games) is playing Torres in behind the defence. Torres has been told to operate right up front in the centre of the pitch - he's said this in interviews as it's different to how he was playing at Atletico. Rafa, I think, obviously wants slightly split strikers, so if you're playing Torres as the main man up top, you're negating the way we've used Crouch in the past. If you play Crouch in the same role then you're changing the position we play Torres, and he may not have been in the positions to score so many goals this season.

You might not agree with Rafa in that he could just play both Crouch and Torres up front, or that it would be better to have Crouch up top with Torres a bit deeper and making runs past him. But for me that is the reason Crouch hasn't appeared so much this season, and when he has appeared he's been mainly ineffective.

Would you be good, if you were used so sporadically?

He's a better striker than Kuyt and Voronin. I've seen it with my own eyes and the stats prove it too.

I disagree with your analysis of Crouch as well to be honest. Crouch has rarely been used as an out and out striker, he likes to drop deep for the ball. He always does it, and always has.

He and Torres fit perfectly in the sense.

You must have been watching a different striker to me to be honest.

Would you be good, if you were used so sporadically?

Well, yeah I fucking would. My touch might be a bit off, but I'd be working my bollocks off to make sure I kept my place.

He's a better striker than Kuyt and Voronin. I've seen it with my own eyes and the stats prove it too.

I disagree with your analysis of Crouch as well to be honest. Crouch has rarely been used as an out and out striker, he likes to drop deep for the ball. He always does it, and always has.

He and Torres fit perfectly in the sense.

You must have been watching a different striker to me to be honest.

We'll have to disagree here then. I agree Crouch is better than Voronin, and maybe a bit better than Kuyt. But he's not a whole lot better than Kuyt in my eyes - and the stats prove that too.

Don't get me wrong, I have a big soft spot for Crouch, he shows some great touches and has had some completely unplayable games, and scored some great goals, and seems like a sound lad - but I find a lot of the support for him goes way over the top.

Guest Red Maniac

alas, but in response to the title of the thread.....

the scouts are "shit" as they allowed to operate at a level of "shitness"

who makes the final decision on purchases, the Scouts? hmmmm, i doubt it

who authorises vast amounts of money on Manure? the Scouts?

and who the shit is training/coaching these "shits" we are buying, who's playing them?

It is not to blame Benitez, merely to deflect from the Scouts and share the burden of shitness

and who the shit is training/coaching these "shits" we are buying, who's playing them?

It is not to blame Benitez, merely to deflect from the Scouts and share the burden of shitness

Who signed Veron? and all those fucking useless keepers you lot had under that red faced old cunt.

So don't come on here shouting the fucking odds just cos he has been allowed more money to put these right doesn't make him better you silly twat

The best thing about you is you think all is well in your own back yard how fucking wrong you are

Next you will be telling me you shower made money last year yer right fuck off and take your dickhead mates with yer

#

Go fuck yourself.

Lets face it, the strikers we have are simply not good enough. There is no-one really making themselves 'un-droppable' other than Torres. You can't really blame Rafa for rotating when the strikers who are in are just not doing it so he is trying something different. I personally think that we are desperate for a partner for Torres and none of the other 3 strikers are good enough. I wouldn't mind selling Voronin and Kuyt to fund another stiker coming in and just have 3 stikers. Babel could also be used should injuries/suspensions come in to effect

Lets face it, the strikers we have are simply not good enough. There is no-one really making themselves 'un-droppable' other than Torres. You can't really blame Rafa for rotating when the strikers who are in are just not doing it so he is trying something different. I personally think that we are desperate for a partner for Torres and none of the other 3 strikers are good enough. I wouldn't mind selling Voronin and Kuyt to fund another stiker coming in and just have 3 stikers. Babel could also be used should injuries/suspensions come in to effect

Babel should be used NOW,he should be first choice as Torres partner,the others offer Nothing.Crouch aside does offer a threat in the fact that defenders fear his presence,this in turn can free up space for Torres.The other two dont put fear into defenders,mainly because they are in midfield or on the wing.Babel would give them somethin else to think about with his Pace.Him and Torres would have teams worrying about us,rather than the usual tactic of us worryin about them

Babel is quite raw but he is very direct and I am a fan of his. I agree that we should give him a go but I am saying that if we can get someone in of real class then they should partner Torres. Crouch is good to have on the bench as a different option if we haven't already done the business by 70-75 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...