You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BASCOMBE EXCLUSIVE:RAFA WILL BE AXED

Randy Marsh

As you mention Rafa has used the press, and Bascombe in particular, before when he felt his voice wasn't being listened to from within the club. So could this article be Bascombe again putting the worse case scenario in front of the fans in order to ensure we start shouting and show G&H how strong his position actually is? "My supporters"!?

That's the way I am reading this, in the absence of anything concrete.

Rafa playing politics. Its just like Stratego but with real people.

Give the fans a shock, get a reaction, and show the owners where opinion really lies.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to guage opinion in the "Whatyagonnado?" thread, most people weren't even arsed to vote and, even then, a lot of them don't give a shit. It's a sad, sad indictment.

Just voted. Sorry, this is the first thread I looked at when I logged on. I replied to your post when I came across it, then went back and continued working through the thread.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
It potentially looks like the relationship between Benitez and the owners has broken down. Something akin to that between Benitez and Ayesteran.

That relationship couldnt be fixed and the parting of the ways happened. I hope this is not the case here but one thing is for certain, manager against owner(s), means only one winner (and I use that term lightly).

I really dont think this should be played out in the media and, my only criticism here is that is what Benitez opened up, a media debate.

So Rafa should accept being fucked by these to fucking idiots in silence?

Fuck that, and fuck the americans, and that fucking clown.

The time to act sadly has well passed, we could have proved a point over the CL final ticket fiasco after being fucked when we had a real chance of costing that cunt his job, we didn't and since that point he's been given carte blanche to fuck us over.

As for the article, I believe wholeheartedly that CB has written it, and I don't think he'd sell out to the extent that he'd write something so damaging. So it is extremely worrying, and I firmly believe that if it comes to pass we should not sit on our arses and just let it pass quietly.

You can't be trying to tell me the NOTW is a credible newspaper surely?

It's a tabloid. Like its news coverage, some of its sports journalism will be bollocks and a lot of it heavily embroidered. It's a long way from that to disregarding anything it prints, no matter what the individual journalist's track record and the context. I mean, after all, it's not like we've had the manager and the co-owner taking public potshots at each other in the press for the last few days, is it?

There may or may not be facts behind the article. There certainly isn't any evidence or quotation within it.

What evidence do you think Bascombe could produce? A page from Hicks' appointments diary saying "SACK BENITEZ TUES MORNING/TUE AFTERNOON: PODIATRIST APPOINTMENT"? And at this stage who's going to go on the record as a named source? Rafa? Parry? Hicks or one of his employees?

Any information Bascombe may have has been presented in such a dramatised fashion I can't take it seriously.

Oh well, that's alright then. It's not like it's a particularly dramatic situation.

There are parrallels between Rafa's behaviour and that of the owners.

Ayesteran disagreed with some of Benitez's methods (allegedly) and after a number of spats was shown the door.

If a player undermines Rafa he's shown the door.

The owners are applying the same methods.

While nobody wants Rafa to go (alright a few do) they are having their hands forced to an extent and Rafa can have few complaints having done the same himself.

The only point against that is that the owners have hurried the situation along by not adapting quickly enough to situations.

That's the way I am reading this, in the absence of anything concrete.

Rafa playing politics. Its just like Stratego but with real people.

Give the fans a shock, get a reaction, and show the owners where opinion really lies.

Its potentially a dangerous game two successive defeats and maybe they would feel in a stronger position to dump him

On this and the other thread people have pointed out that a boycott wouldn't work as the club could just sell their tickets to others. However, if we all keep our tickets but just have a sit down outside the ground to express our anger, wouldn't that work? TV and newspaper shots of an empty (or 75% empty according to the poll!) ground might serve to concentrate the minds of our owners. I presume the club couldn't double sell tickets so provided we don't return our tickets we could, if enough people are arsed, make a powerful statement.

On this and the other thread people have pointed out that a boycott wouldn't work as the club could just sell their tickets to others. However, if we all keep our tickets but just have a sit down outside the ground to express our anger, wouldn't that work? TV and newspaper shots of an empty (or 75% empty according to the poll!) ground might serve to concentrate the minds of our owners. I presume the club couldn't double sell tickets so provided we don't return our tickets we could, if enough people are arsed, make a powerful statement.

You've still bought your tickets and paid your money.

There are parrallels between Rafa's behaviour and that of the owners.

Ayesteran disagreed with some of Benitez's methods (allegedly) and after a number of spats was shown the door.

If a player undermines Rafa he's shown the door.

The owners are applying the same methods.

While nobody wants Rafa to go (alright a few do) they are having their hands forced to an extent and Rafa can have few complaints having done the same himself.

The only point against that is that the owners have hurried the situation along by not adapting quickly enough to situations.

Come on mate, fuckin hell! Are you just fishing here, or on a wind up?

Firstly, it was Ayesteran that walked, he wasnt shown the door. From all accounts Rafa tried to patch it up.

And how can you honestly justify that Rafa can have few complaints!? Jesus christ! Have a word with yourself.

His treatment is an absolute disgrace when you look how much the man has done for the club. Cant help but think you are disagreeing with everyone just for the sake of disagreeing

I agree, some kind of statement needs to be made. Im not sure a sit down would suffice though, people who pay hard earned money for a ticket will want to use it, understandably. You'd get people who are up for it, but the numbers would be so small, it would be insignificant. IMO it needs to be something coordinated on the kop, in a way like the "justice day" protests. The kop is the main stage where fans air there views, where all the journos/media look to. It has to be something in here. Whether its a mosaic, flags, banners, constant Rafa singing, i dont know. But something needs to be organise before these cunts fuck us up the arse, and its too late for us to do anything about it. We dont know, it could be bollocks, it could pass over, or Rafa really could only have a matter of days/weeks left. We need to hit them now because we cant afford to take that chance

Come on mate, fuckin hell! Are you just fishing here, or on a wind up?

Firstly, it was Ayesteran that walked, he wasnt shown the door. From all accounts Rafa tried to patch it up.

And how can you honestly justify that Rafa can have few complaints!? Jesus christ! Have a word with yourself.

His treatment is an absolute disgrace when you look how much the man has done for the club. Cant help but think you are disagreeing with everyone just for the sake of disagreeing

If by disagreeing for the sake of it you mean not taking the extreme view that this is all one sided then yes.

Nobody likes being dictated to, if a player tell's Rafa what he will and won't do Rafa won't play them or will show them a nice route out of Anfield. Why do we assume the owners are any different?

Rafa is clever enough to know he's playing a dangerous game in constantly going to the press to complain about them and as others have said it's a game he can't win.

Rafa should never in a million years be sacked for this, if and when it eventually happens it should be solely on his performance at the club and failure to meet targets but if it happens it's not a freakish occurence it's something that would happen in most businesses.

Its potentially a dangerous game two successive defeats and maybe they would feel in a stronger position to dump him

That's what bothers me Nick. It's starting to feel like Rafa has maneuvered himself into a position where he has 2 games to keep his job. It's a huge gamble. Beat Porto and Marseilles and G&H can't sack him. Fail in either game and G&H will have ample ammunition plus back up from the boo boys and 606 moaners.

If by disagreeing for the sake of it you mean not taking the extreme view that this is all one sided then yes.

Nobody likes being dictated to, if a player tell's Rafa what he will and won't do Rafa won't play them or will show them a nice route out of Anfield. Why do we assume the owners are any different?

Rafa is clever enough to know he's playing a dangerous game in constantly going to the press to complain about them and as others have said it's a game he can't win.

Rafa should never in a million years be sacked for this, if and when it eventually happens it should be solely on his performance at the club and failure to meet targets but if it happens it's not a freakish occurence it's something that would happen in most businesses.

ok fair enough, i can see the point you are making there. But i think Rafa is trying to force the owners hands. I dont believe he would go to the press if it wasnt that desperate a situation. Look at the shite he has to put up with, fuckin coco the bastard clown, 2 owners thousands of miles away. If he wanted to walk, he has had plenty of offers, which he has turned down. He quite clearly loves the club, and is now a fan like you and i. He must be pissed off to the back teeth with the situation, and he quite clearly isnt getting the backing he deserves. He may see the media as his last hope of changing club policy, and getting the structue, behind the scenes, right. Thats why i think we need to back him. He's one of us, he is doing this for us, not for his own personal gain

That's what bothers me Nick. It's starting to feel like Rafa has maneuvered himself into a position where he has 2 games to keep his job. It's a huge gamble. Beat Porto and Marseilles and G&H can't sack him. Fail in either game and G&H will have ample ammunition plus back up from the boo boys and 606 moaners.

I've honestly come to the conclusion that's what they had in mind anyway before last week. They appear to be struggling to raise the finance required and us going out of the CL puts an even bigger hole in their plans.

I think the reason they wouldn't sanction any deal until they came over is because they wanted to see if we were still in CL. If we go out I think they would have just sacked him anyway.

Yes you've paid your money for the tickets, but if you want to show your anger then this is more effective than just refusing to buy tickets because other people will just take your place and the club will just ignore your protest. I think Sky broadcasts of Liverpool home games with an empty stadium with Gray and Keys smirking away would keep the issue fresh and get coverage for the supporters views.

You could always have screens set up outside the ground if you didn't want to miss out on what you'd paid for.

I don't think the landlord comparison is valid because a football club is more than a pub, and I think the owners/board might take more notice of negative publicity than the landlord.

Oh well, lets not do anything then. Lets just bend over for our rich owners.

Yes you've paid your money for the tickets, but if you want to show your anger then this is more effective than just refusing to buy tickets because other people will just take your place and the club will just ignore your protest. I think Sky broadcasts of Liverpool home games with an empty stadium with Gray and Keys smirking away would keep the issue fresh and get coverage for the supporters views.

You could always have screens set up outside the ground if you didn't want to miss out on what you'd paid for.

I don't think the landlord comparison is valid because a football club is more than a pub, and I think the owners/board might take more notice of negative publicity than the landlord.

Oh well, lets not do anything then. Lets just bend over for our rich owners.

I agree something needs to be done. Fuckin hell id so anything, thats how much the thought of rafa going upsets me. But can you honestly see significant numbers agreeing to this? You would need thousands to make any statement, that simply wouldnt happen. The other alternative has to be something in the ground, which is wholely achievable. I just hope there are people reading who have the clout to make something like this happen

Who you gonna trust?

“I am concentrating only on coaching and training my team” The now infamous phrase uttered over and over by Rafa Benitez this week, sparking the latest bout of media jostling between the manager and his bosses. Rafa shouldn’t have behaved the way he did, I’ll accept that. You can’t criticise your bosses publicly in any walk of life, and had one of his players condemned him to the media he’d not stand for it.

However, is that really the big issue here? I’m sick of people concentrating on that, when in light of what is actually happening at the club it’s little more than a minor sub-plot. It’s small potatoes, I don’t care if Rafa has made himself look a bit silly, or that he’s given Moyes the opportunity to have a laugh at his expense. I care about what drove him to it, and what the repercussions are likely to be. I care that the Americans seem to be deliberately making his job difficult, and condescendingly told him to ‘concentrate on coaching his team’. They know as little about football as I do about nuclear physics, yet Tom Hicks has the balls to tell Rafa to shut up and just coach? Please.

Rafa Benitez spends all of his time thinking about and planning how to make Liverpool a better side. It’s all he thinks about. Gillett and Hicks spend some of their time thinking about how to make money out of Liverpool, and the rest of the time thinking the same thing about their other ‘franchises’. That’s the issue here for me. Rafa has been working his bollocks off behind the scenes for weeks trying to get things in place for January, and he’s had no help at all from the Americans. In fact, they’re threatening to undo all the work he’s done because they can’t be arsed talking to him.

They refuse to discuss anything with him until they see him face to face when they come over for the Manchester United game in December. This means that Rafa has to go to all the clubs, players and agents he’s been talking to and has to stall them. That opens the door for other clubs to move in and take our targets, and it also makes it difficult to offload players because interested clubs may tire of the uncertainty pursue other targets.

He’s not asking for them to give him money, he’s not asking for them to ‘do’ the deals now. He just wants them to give him the go-ahead so HE can set everything up himself and buy and sell the players he wants to when the window opens. He doesn’t want to wait until the end of December to do it, as by then it may be too late. He also has Bosmans lined up, but needs to get them sorted now because the closer we get to January the more likely it is other clubs will nip in.

Why do they have to see him face to face anyway? Can’t they talk to him on the phone, or via a video link up? No, because they’ve got better things to do, such as running the Dallas Stars, Montreal Canadiens, Austin frigging Rednecks and all of the other pies they have their greedy fingers in.

‘Ah but that’s why Foster Gillett was sent to work over here as chief executive’ I hear you cry. Yep, the same Foster Gillett who went back home after the Arsenal game and hasn’t been seen since. Rafa now claims that he’s been told to leave all transfer negotiations to Rick Parry. God help us all if that’s the case.

Was Rafa wrong to act the way he did? Yes. Is it understable? Absolutely. Rafa wants what we want. The Americans don’t. Criticising your bosses is asking for trouble, but at the same time keeping quiet won’t do Rafa any favours either. He stands or falls by his results, and his dealings in the transfer market. If he’s operating with one hand tied behind his back because those above him aren’t doing their jobs, then I for one want to know about it.

The battle lines have been drawn this week. There’s civil war going on at the club right now. Rafa might not be perfect, but he is doing his best to give us what we want and he has our interests at heart. He’s working all the hours God sends to do it too. What evidence is there to suggest Gillett and Hicks are doing the same? Absolutely none.

Rafa’s comments after the Newcastle game were clearly designed to let the fans know what is going on, and also to appeal for us to get behind him. He referred to us on Sky as ‘MY supporters’, and in the press conference he made reference to how the fans have always been with him and the team. The message was clear, he is calling for fan support because he knows his position is in real danger and he needs all the help he can get.

Chris Bascombe made the bold claim today that the Americans WILL sack him, and they want Mourinho as his replacement. It’s seems a ludicrous statement, but there is nobody better connected with what is going on at Anfield than Bascombe. Don’t let the paper he is writing for cloud that. Whatsmore, he’s a good red, and he would not make such a claim if he was not 100% sure of what he is saying. That doesn’t necessarily make him right, but given his track record it would be foolish to just dismiss the claims.

Look at it this way, if he’s right and you do nothing, how will you feel afterwards? Make your voices heard, let the club know how you feel about the idea of losing Rafa.

Right now he needs us more than ever, and he more or less said exactly that after Newcastle. The ironic thing is some fans were starting to lose faith in Rafa anyway. I was beginning to have some doubts myself, not to the extent where I wanted him to be replaced, but doubts were creeping in I admit. However, the antics of Gillett and Hicks have made many doubters put that to one side and get firmly in the manager’s camp once more.

Rafa may or may not be the man to bring home the title, but it’s way too early to make that decision either way, and certainly not for any reason other than on field results. He’s far more deserving of our trust and support than the two snakes who sneakily talked their way into the club only to show their true colours once they got full control.

If you want Rafa to go, then side with the Americans and you’ll get your wish. If you want him to stay, then make your feelings known loud and clear over the next few weeks and sing his name loud and proud and let those two clowns know who you are backing. They’ll still do whatever they want anyway, as there’s nothing to stop them doing whatever the like now they have 100% ownership.

Nothing except us that is, the question is are you prepared to do anything? A rousing show of solidarity on Wednesday night for the man who has led us to two European Cup finals in three years will be a good start.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/blog/?p=143#more-143