You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BASCOMBE EXCLUSIVE:RAFA WILL BE AXED

Randy Marsh

at the time Bascombe got this info it may have been true but for all we know things could be resolved and it may not come to him getting sacked

doesnt make him a liar

Getting something wrong doesn't make him a liar either. If it doesn't come to fruition, that doesn't necessarily make him a liar either. Confabulating i.e. making the story up would make him a liar. If he's written it in good faith, after being tipped by a usually reliable source then he's not a liar.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ali, read what you've posted again and try to keep a straight face this time.

Steve I did work on newspapers for 20 years and left on principle in 1991, bringing in millions every year to pay hacks their wages. But I do know that even the NOW would be a little careful about how far they go and that Chris would have a reliable source for this information particularly with a exclusivity tag. If he wants to puff it up a bit well that's journo licence, but there must be a base for it. But then we all probably know his source anyway ;)

Doesn't have to happen, just has to shift papers and generate publicity.

Taaa daaa!!!!!!

The idea that all journalists are liars is ludicrous - some are, some aren't. I have seen no reason to believe that Bascombe isn't truthful in his reporting (yes he will make the odd mistake - everyone does) but IMO he is honest.

Just a thought but maybe its a tactical response by G&H to Rafa's "Maybe I could be England Manager" threat, they could well be using Bascombe through his club sources to return the threat to Rafa and let him know that at the end of the day they are the bosses. I really don't think they would be that stupid to seriously do it now unless the situation became alot worse.

If it happens tho, for me it would be the end, I'll always love LFC but football would be over, the soul of the game will have completely disappeared in my eyes. Winning the league this or next year without Rafa just wouldn't be the same.

Precisely Steve. This is the NotW we are talking about. The only thing it gets right is the date.

That stark fact remains, regardless of one particular journalist's past reputation or ethical motivation.

We're talking about the NOTW here, boys. NOTW! The same papaer whose front page system is to entrap Z-lsit celebs on nights out and report them as national scandals and lead topics of importance, never mind the countless "transfer sensations" that never happen; even the players and clubs can't be arsed taking them to court, never mind denying it because we all know it's fictional entertainment over a full english and a hangover.

Chris himself mentioned in his tome that he is ambitious and wanted to move forward in his career; I don't think people are saying he is making this up but he is tailoring his facts towards the rag's policy and stance, in my opinion.

I hope this is the case and all this is mellow drama. If not, we truly are fucked but I just think that they have had a public spat.

To place Mourinho at the top of a candidate list is a complete boo boo as he is seemingly contracted out of PL club management until next year.

That's why I want to know where the fuck George Gillett is, it's important that we find out what his position on all this is.

I think he's probably annoyed with Rafa but not to sackable proportions where the Texan doesnt take any prisoners, ie you cross me you die, where Gillett comes over as more pragmatic, he may still get rid of Rafa but he would choose a time when it wouldnt cause the fans to get upset ie when we were in a bad run etc

That stark fact remains, regardless of one particular journalist's past reputation or ethical motivation.

We're talking about the NOTW here, boys. NOTW! The same papaer whose front page system is to entrap Z-lsit celebs on nights out and report them as national scandals and lead topics of importance, never mind the countless "transfer sensations" that never happen; even the players and clubs can't be arsed taking them to court, never mind denying it because we all know it's fictional entertainment over a full english and a hangover.

Chris himself mentioned in his tome that he is ambitious and wanted to move forward in his career; I don't think people are saying he is making this up but he is tailoring his facts towards the rag's policy and stance, in my opinion.

I hope this is the case and all this is mellow drama. If not, we truly are fucked but I just think that they have had a public spat.

To place Mourinho at the top of a candidate list is a complete boo boo as he is seemingly contracted out of PL club management until next year.

agree (the definition of "making it up" is very vague these days btw)

My feeling is that there is at least a basis of truth to the 'sacking' half of the story, but that the Mourinho part is just plucking an available, controversial name out of the air in order to give the story a greater edge. I wouldn't mind betting that Bascombe had little to do with the Mourinho reference.

Am not saying for a second Chris B is making it up, more finding his balance between what inside info he does know( which down the years has wavered from substantial to peripheral depending on his relationships with the various pwer brokers and employees), the paper's policy to "extend" that core knowledge and genuine journalistic method of gathering fact, factoring in past patterns and previous behaviour and projecting what may happen if all that is assumed is correct.

Just hope the end prediction is wrong on this occassion, for the Club, Rafa and Chris' reputation.

Posted on TTWAR.

And Chris doesn't like the Yanks. Remember he was banned from their initial press conference, that's why Prentice was there instead.

So it's virtually impossible that he has this info from the closest source ie anyone connected to Hicks or Gillett.

My feeling is that there is at least a basis of truth to the 'sacking' half of the story, but that the Mourinho part is just plucking an available, controversial name out of the air in order to give the story a greater edge. I wouldn't mind betting that Bascombe had little to do with the Mourinho reference.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris didn't have a clue that the re-write would contain even a reference to Jose Mourinho.

A poster on RAWK is saying that Gillett has got someone lined up to buy Hicks' share of the club, claiming a member of Rick Parry's family as source.

Third hand from YNWA

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=199837.1040

"My understanding is not going to be sacked, Hicks and Gillet have fallen out big time over the funding of the club, Hicks wants to go to the bank and gillet wants to stand by his word that no money will be borrowed, Gillet has been approached by a friend another Billioniare who has offered to purchase hicks half and because of all this there has been no money for transfer funds until it is settled, Also Hicks and Gillet are only speaking through Rick Parry."

Thats an interesting point there. If I remember correctly at the NFL meeting in London,a gent by the name of Robert Kraft ( owner of the New England Patriots and New England Revolution and a few others i think) was quoted as saying he was in discussions about an english club. I also think he was briefly linked with LFC previously, ( although i might be wrong).

Thats an interesting point there. If I remember correctly at the NFL meeting in London,a gent by the name of Robert Kraft ( owner of the New England Patriots and New England Revolution and a few others i think) was quoted as saying he was in discussions about an english club. I also think he was briefly linked with LFC previously, ( although i might be wrong).

he was linked, Rick even met him several times I think

I should be a happy chap today, the mancs losing us winning in style away from home. Instead I just feel empty, not even angry about this fiasco going on around us and played out infront of everybody.

One name spins around in my head and that is Mr David Moores a supposed life long red and I hope he hangs his head in shame, he for one thing did not have the clubs interests at heart when he got us into this pile of shite.

I should be a happy chap today, the mancs losing us winning in style away from home. Instead I just feel empty, not even angry about this fiasco going on around us and played out infront of everybody.

One name spins around in my head and that is Mr David Moores a supposed life long red and I hope he hangs his head in shame, he for one thing did not have the clubs interests at heart when he got us into this pile of shite.

I'm still at a loss to see what the yanks are doing that moores couldn't.

they're not using a penny of their own money for the stadium and this season purchases (net) isn't a vast increase on past seasons.

my big fear when we went hunting for new owners is their (new owners) tolerence would be somewhat shorter and unrealitic expectations would create a revolving door for managers. hope I'm wrong.

Well said Stan as I said before I hope the kids enjoy their inheritance because the price paid was far too expensive

I know this forum has always had its share of wise monkeys (and they've been especially deaf, dumb and blind of late), but anyone who isn't alarmed by what Chris Bascombe has written really is a fool. There is no doubt that he has the best connections with Liverpool Football Club in journalism. Furthermore, whilst he has written things that later failed to come to pass, he has never written anything without foundation. In short, he knows his stuff and he's not a bull-shitter.

Secondly, people seem to be doubting what he's written because they assume he won't have the connections to the Americans' side of things that he has to Rafa's. No-one heard of a bloke called Rick Parry? Isn't it conceivable that Chris has been tapping more than just Rafa of his old Echo connections?

Beyond the credibility issues, there is a huge amount of stuff being both hinted at and revealed in the papers today. Rafa has now confirmed that he was talking about Bosman signings and is not being allowed to make the deals. He also reminded everyone that he has raised funds before and implies that he's ready to do so again. In that scenario, what can possibly be the problem?

Further strange revelations include the re-emphasis on Rick Parry's role in transfers, as opposed to Foster Gillet leading the way. Rafa's "We'll see" comment seems to highlight his dissatisfaction with Parry once again. However, the absence of Gillet Jr, when coupled with the seeming silence from his dad while Tom Hicks' voice continues to boom out, makes me speculate about the nature of the partnership at the helm of the club.

Just what the fuck is going on? This is deeply worrying stuff and it's fucking shit that Basco will now be muted until next weekend. I only hope Tony B can fill some of the holes in this picture tomorrow because it is a fucking shit storm.