You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The problem is with worshipping individuals is that when you find out they aren’t perfect and do have flaws there’s a temptation to double down and deny it.  Can’t think of any recent examples though.  

tenor.gif

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The idea that Churchill engineered the Bengal famine is revisionist nonsense. It's almost like something else might have been happening in 1943 that diverted attention and resources elsewhere.

The idea that Churchill "saved us from subjugation" is revisionist bullshit.

He was an Imperialist, more than an anti-Fascist.  He was more than happy to keep millions of people subjugated, as long as those people were black, brown or Irish.

Churchill was old money and Hitler was new money. Churchill would be a judge living in a Georgian house and Hitler would be living in the Albert Dock with no discernable job title beyond "guru" on LinkedIn. Churchill would encounter Hitler at the golf club and immediately try to engineer his expulsion. Hitler would fume.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, you know, I don't much care why he wanted to beat the Nazis, the important thing is that he beat the Nazis

You can argue over whether he was woke enough by 21st century standards if you want

He didn't beat the Nazis though. America did. Churchill was a racist cunt. Just fucking admit it. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, you know, I don't much care why he wanted to beat the Nazis, the important thing is that he beat the Nazis

You can argue over whether he was woke enough by 21st century standards if you want

Somebody sprayed "was a racist" under his name.

That's factually correct.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

I already said Churchill was a racist! But trying to take credit away from him for the contribution he made to beating Hitler is barmy.

Probably right but it wasn't just 'Churchill' and without America he would have lost. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Somebody sprayed "was a racist" under his name.

That's factually correct.

Maybe so, but I doubt you'd be quite as understanding if someone sprayed "Muhammad owned slaves" all over the nearest mosque.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I already said Churchill was a racist! But trying to take credit away from him for the contribution he made to beating Hitler is barmy.

It's the "Great Man" theory of history to say "Churchill beat the Nazis".

Millions of ordinary people from many countries defeated the Nazis.  Churchill made a major contribution to this, but to suggest he did it all on his own is just daft.

In other news, which may surprise you, the Emperor Hadrian wasn't a brickie.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I saw the Athletic, straight off the back of this political bomb, advertise opportunities for BAME applicants only. I mean is this helpful? Does this make it an achievement that those of a different skin colour have to be given special treatment in order to progress? Reverse racism is still racism. Stopping other of different skin colour (yes thats skin colour) whether you are hindu, white, asian from applying for a job is still discrimination. And what does that say about the Athletic? Where they inherently racist before this?

It isn't reverse racism though. It's acknowledging that Britain is built on a system that is advantageous to white people and that it is appropriate to actively encourage the employment of people from BAME backgrounds. It barely counts as levelling the playing field, never mind being 'reverse racism' that gives BAME people an advantage.

Journalism will be better representative of the populace if it reflects their demographics.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Maybe so, but I doubt you'd be quite as understanding if someone sprayed "Muhammad owned slaves" all over the nearest mosque.

Mosques aren't there to honour Muhammad, the way statues are there to honour individual people.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You’d be ok with someone writing that on every single gravestone in every cemetery for people who died say, 60-70 years ago? 

Gravestones aren't there to honour the dead individual, the way statues are there to honour individual people.

If it was a big, celebratory tomb of someone who had a record of racism as long as Churchill's, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Just checking. Is it just black people who should move on from past atrocities when their ancestors were treated like they weren't humans, were branded so as to identify them and which lead to millions of them dying? 

Or, do other ethnic groups who were treated like this have to move on and stop causing a fuss too? 

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The more I read about the massacre in Bengal the more mortified I am. Fucking hell.

You're just virtue signalling your wokeness, you massive snowflake.  You can't judge 20th Century famines by 21st Century standards because, er, starvation was different then. Or something.

Anyway, the real point is that Jeremy Corbyn is a cunt.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Mosques aren't there to honour Muhammad, the way statues are there to honour individual people.

To be clear, I'm absolutely fine with the statues of slavers being unceremoniously hauled down and deposited in the nearest river, but things get much more murky when we're talking about the legacies of Churchill, Gladstone, Muhammad, or just about any other significant figure in history.

20 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

It isn't reverse racism though. It's acknowledging that Britain is built on a system that is advantageous to white people and that it is appropriate to actively encourage the employment of people from BAME backgrounds. It barely counts as levelling the playing field, never mind being 'reverse racism' that gives BAME people an advantage.

You are wrong. Its discrimination. Its the Athletic saying we haven't found anyone BAME good enough to have a job at the Athletic before, so now its ok we can give someone one as a token gesture. 

If you can't get a job at a company due to your skin colour, don't try and get a job there. Its the same if a company deliberately wants a female for a role but interviews men anyway, my own company does this. Its not right but it goes on. Handing out token offerings does not constitute the fact that you are getting this on merit due to your skills and/or talent.

What advantages have us 'whites' got by the way? The advantage of living and growing up in a poor Bootle background with parents out of work and no money? The hand me downs? My parents barely keeping a roof over our heads? 

Yeah very privileged. Its a crock of shit. 

"Journalism will be better representative of the populace if it reflects their demographics."

In what way? Theres already far too many idealogical journalists as there is, not reporting on the facts and more interested in pushing narratives. Its been going on for years recently in entertainment and its fucked things up and made things worse, as people get sick of being lectured too and just end up turning off.

• Upvote 5