You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm on the third Charlie Parker book. Does the formula change much or is each one some fucked up killer and a town of strange folk with the odd grudge thrown in.

I think I've read 5 and that sums them up perfectly. The last one I read was The Black Angel and it was pap, found it really difficult to get through. If it wasn't for the acclaim on here I'd have binned these books off a while ago.

I finished reading The Corner by David Simon, last Friday.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Having read the outstanding Homocide and watched both Treme and The Wire, it wasn't difficult to know what I was in for. It's problematic to be 50 pages in and know that the next 600 pages will be great, but ultimately devastating. I did finish it, though. He wrote this in the mid 90s, before he had such a big television and newspaper platform to express his views; the reason I say that, is because if you're already familiar with the arguments, the book can be a bit preachy in parts.

Aside from that, I thought it was very good. I think Homocide is better, but this is a damn good book, season 4 of the wire in paper form. 8.8/10

These are spoilers, outwith the book itself.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

So, Miss Ella had a heart attack, a couple of years after the book. Deandre, got himself together and was Brother's Mouzane's assistant on The Wire, Lamar. However, in 2012, he succumbed to his drug addiction and died. Found that out when I googled his name; all the boys from the rec centre are dead, or in jail. Fran got out, though, and good for her.

I have yeah, but I think the book is miles better and also even more depressing.

Can't really complain, though; I know that Simon's M.O is to make his characters incredibly charming and endearing, then have institutions completely crush them. I knew what I was getting into.

For anybody into a bit of military history there is a short book called "D-Day through German eyes" by Holger Eckhertz.

True accounts from german soldiers on the font line that day. Incredible stuff and the horror of what happened in the fighting is brilliantly told and was uncomfortable in parts. Never really heard the stories from the german side before. Some of the hand to hand stuff and siege of the bunkers was simply terrifying and the bravery on both sides was immense. Think it is only a quid or two on amazon and there is a second book as well.

I've said this elsewhere on here and most probably in this thread at some point.

There's something about the way the Germans write about these things, there is very little romanticism like the English / Amercian versions, they seem so much more matter of fact and cold in the way it's told which gives it something more that I can't really explain properly. 

It just feels a lot more brutal and visceral than the way we are normally told it. 

As ever I will take my opportunity to push Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger, it's First World War rather than second but it's a very good read from someone who clearly saw and acknowledged the horror but is also very open about the fact that he also experienced some enjoyment and excitement from it all as well. 

• Upvote 1

I think it may be because they lost these wars so they are not part of the nation-building mythology and justification for the post WWII cultural and economic supremacy but rather a more personal experience. It's why American Vietnam films are much better than the WWII ones.

Where's that list LF?

• Upvote 1

go for it!!

Ill post some more later

Need to look at my book shelf at home.

Have a look at the stackpole military series some great biographies on there from German and Soviet soldiers

These two come to mind

Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Hans von Luck

Guy Sajer

The Forgotten Soldier: War on the Russian Front - A True Story

A few others ive got. Not read them all yet

Heinz Guderian

Achtung Panzer!: The Development of Tank Warfare

Kurt Meyer

Grenadiers: The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt "Panzer" Meyer

Thorolf Hillblad

Twilight of the Gods: A Swedish Volunteer in the 11th SS Panzergrenadier Division on the Eastern Front

Karl H. Schlesier

Flakhelfer to Grenadier: Memoir of a Boy Soldier, 1943-1945

Werner Kindler

Obedient Unto Death: A Panzer-Grenadier of the Leibstandarte- SS Adolf Hitler

Armin Scheiderbauer

Adventures in my Youth: A German Soldier on the Eastern Front 1941-45

In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front

• Upvote 2

A few others ive got. Not read them all yet

Heinz Guderian

Achtung Panzer!: The Development of Tank Warfare

Kurt Meyer

Grenadiers: The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt "Panzer" Meyer

Thorolf Hillblad

Twilight of the Gods: A Swedish Volunteer in the 11th SS Panzergrenadier Division on the Eastern Front

Karl H. Schlesier

Flakhelfer to Grenadier: Memoir of a Boy Soldier, 1943-1945

Werner Kindler

Obedient Unto Death: A Panzer-Grenadier of the Leibstandarte- SS Adolf Hitler

Armin Scheiderbauer

Adventures in my Youth: A German Soldier on the Eastern Front 1941-45

In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front

I think somebody's hinting that they want a Panzer for Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been meaning to pick 'Armada' up, well reminded, Sut. 'Ready Player One' was a terrific slice of pop culture fiction.

6 months on I finally got round to reading Armada. It's awful and I ditched it after about 70 pages. A poor re-hash of Ender's Game (and others) that uses movie quotes and references instead of actual prose. Terrible, one of only 3/4 books I've ever started and not finished.

Other than that I'm 6 books in to the Temeraire series, which has been great so far. Alongside that there's been the usual supplement of graphic novels: Preacher, Saga, Star Wars: Darth Vader and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing being the most recent. All good but Preacher is by the far the best of that group.

I need to pick up the next Temeraire book as my reading pile is almost empty bar a couple of comics.