You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manc twats

SEANEY

Speaking of, who liked 24 hour party people?

Haven't seen it, isn't it the film about the Hacienda, Anthony H. Wilson and Factory Records?

I thought Paul Ross summed it up when he claimed Manchester will always be in Liverpool's shadow and are very jealous about it.

They refer to us as "dippers" in reference to our record on crime, yet their city has far more crime per head than our city.

Only London has more listed buildings and we gave the world The Beatles, and none of their music can compare to the success of John, Paul, George and Ringo (even though I think the Monday's and Stone Rose's were superb).

Haven't seen it, isn't it the film about the Hacienda, Anthony H. Wilson and Factory Records?

I thought Paul Ross summed it up when he claimed Manchester will always be in Liverpool's shadow and are very jealous about it.

They refer to us as "dippers" in reference to our record on crime, yet their city has far more crime per head than our city.

Only London has more listed buildings and we gave the world The Beatles, and none of their music can compare to the success of John, Paul, George and Ringo (even though I think the Monday's and Stone Rose's were superb).

That's the one, all about Factory records. Do Joy Division count as a "Manchester" band or are they just a band that happens to come from Manchester. Because they're brilliant.

Decent film.

That's the one, all about Factory records. Do Joy Division count as a "Manchester" band or are they just a band that happens to come from Manchester. Because they're brilliant.

Decent film.

I don't think Joy Division/New Order were part of the "Madchester" explosion in 1989 & 90.

Great band though.

i remember going to a benifit gig at the royal court in liverpool for the city council during the hatton years.new order,the smiths and the fall on the bill a outstanding gig.the event was called 'from manchester with love', they had 'man utd 1 everton 0 fa cup final' on the bottom of the tshirt for the event :D love manchester music but hate their football and all who sails with her.

That's why I used New Order.

Never really considered them part of baggy 'Madchester', they'd taken a lot of inspiration from New York and Arthur Baker.

Have to laugh at how much attention is paid to the mediocre ACR in 24HourPP. Not a bad film but you can sense Partridge under Coogan's characterization of twatface Wilson. Good film that improves with 2 or 3 views.

Never really considered them part of baggy 'Madchester', they'd taken a lot of inspiration from New York and Arthur Baker.

Have to laugh at how much attention is paid to the mediocre ACR in 24HourPP. Not a bad film but you can sense Partridge under Coogan's characterization of twatface Wilson. Good film that improves with 2 or 3 views.

Is it just me or are the Happy Mondays a bit overrated? Yay for ecstasy and all that, but their music is a bit...shit.

Wasn't a big fan of the Happy Mondays but then saw them live and was very impressed.

To be fair I think Liverpool are relying a lot on the Beatles in the fight for musical supremacy wheras Manchester can boast varied and acclaimed acts such as The Joy Division, New Order, Oasis, The Mondays, The Smiths, The Doves and even as stated above Simply Red (Who have produced some corking tunes) Who would Liverpool be able to out on their rival bill if there were an all day gig from the past. The Coral and The Zutons with Love and Shack?

Who would Liverpool be able to out on their rival bill if there were an all day gig from the past. The Coral and The Zutons with Love and Shack?

Space

Icies

Bunnymen

Boo Radleys

Cast

Amsterdam

Elvis Costello

HMHB

in addition to the others already mentioned. A couple are a stretch.

Guest Gazmo25

I think Manchester has got a fabulous musical heritage and there have been some cracking bands from there. Joy Division, The Smiths and The Stone Roses spring to mind.

There has also been a lot of shite as well though. A lot of the bands rode on the coattails of the Madchester thing (James, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets)

People are too quick to just assume that The Beatles are the only good thing to come out of this city. Echo and the Bunnymen, The Icicle Works, Cast, The Lightning Seeds and to an extent The Farm have all been good for this city. Plus there are bands that are not so much Indie but have contributed in their own way (The Real People, The Christians, Frankie Goes To Hollywood)

There are decent bands coming out of Merseyside at the minute as well with the likes of The Coral, The Zutons and Ladytron to name but three. Plus the local scene is as good as it has been for a long time.

I think Manchester has got a fabulous musical heritage and there have been some cracking bands from there. Joy Division, The Smiths and The Stone Roses spring to mind.

There has also been a lot of shite as well though. A lot of the bands rode on the coattails of the Madchester thing (James, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets)

People are too quick to just assume that The Beatles are the only good thing to come out of this city. Echo and the Bunnymen, The Icicle Works, Cast, The Lightning Seeds and to an extent The Farm have all been good for this city. Plus there are bands that are not so much Indie but have contributed in their own way (The Real People, The Christians, Frankie Goes To Hollywood)

There are decent bands coming out of Merseyside at the minute as well with the likes of The Coral, The Zutons and Ladytron to name but three. Plus the local scene is as good as it has been for a long time.

digsys 'smaller' how the fuck they have never made it big time i will never know.

Simply Red (Who have produced some corking tunes)

The only bloke on a par with Wilson in terms of twatness is Hucknall. I fucking hate the ginger tosser and his coffee table music. (and both are yer typical dumb Utd fan)

Last nights Classic Album on BBC2 was Nevermind, and over the closing credits it was announced that next weeks classic album was Stars from Simply Red. Fuck! (the Nirvana episode was great, with Krist, Dave and Butch Vig all chipping in - particularly haunting to hear the whispered vocal track from Something In The Way)