You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Any minute now Starmer is going to call Netanyahu a reactionary racist.

I was referring specifically to their stance on a ceasefire (neither of them see the merits in one), not their overall view of the Israeli government's actions. And, seeing that in a years time Starmer may well be the PM, I'm not sure if it's a great idea for him to be calling the leader of a major ME ally (for better or worse) a reactionary racist. But that's just me.

1 hour ago, Red Shift said:

From 2020. He’s always been both critical of Israel’s actions and the US’s unequivocal support for Israel. Most Jews would probably call Hamas ‘Terrorists’

https://forward.com/news/440240/bernie-sanders-jewish-identity/

I think most people nowadays are calling Hamas terrorists, regardless of ethnicity. I'm not sure why you would see his Jewish identity as significant here. Do you think it clouds his judgement in some way?

40 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I was referring specifically to their stance on a ceasefire (neither of them see the merits in one), not their overall view of the Israeli government's actions. And, seeing that in a years time Starmer may well be the PM, I'm not sure if it's a great idea for him to be calling the leader of a major ME ally (for better or worse) a reactionary racist. But that's just me.

I think most people nowadays are calling Hamas terrorists, regardless of ethnicity. I'm not sure why you would see his Jewish identity as significant here. Do you think it clouds his judgement in some way?

No, I don’t think so. What I think is that he’s only allowed to play the role of outsider (in American politics, and within the democrat party) up to a point. He knows his place. He knows which side his bread is buttered. However he’s been very consistent in his opinion on Netanyahu over the years, and Israel’s over-kill approach.  My Jewish comment was throwaway, and wasn’t necessary.

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Let's be honest, you were just being a bit of a snarky cunt more than anything else. Fair play to you.

• Upvote 2

Iran’s supreme leader told the head of Hamas in a face-to-face meeting in Tehran that his country would not enter the war with Israel and accused the terror group of not giving any prior warning of the Oct. 7th attacks

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei told Ismail Haniyeh that Iran – a longtime backer of Hamas – would continue to lend the group its political and moral support, but would not intervene directly, according to three Iranian and Hamas officials with knowledge of the discussions who asked to remain anonymous.

Mohanad Hage Ali, an expert on Hezbollah at the Carnegie Middle East Centre think-tank in Beirut, said Hamas’s Oct 7 assault on Israel had left its axis partners facing tough choices in confronting an adversary with far superior firepower.

“When you wake up the bear with such an attack, it’s quite difficult for your allies to stand in the same position as you.”

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Didn't take long to find out.

“Israel will continue its actions until the destruction of Hamas and the return of the kidnapped,” Israel’s ambassador to the UN, Gilad Erdan.

US & China now in a ‘pow-wow’

Not sure whether to laugh or cry

Hindsight ey?

Historian George Antonius:

The treatment meted out to Jews in Germany and other European countries is a disgrace to its authors and to modern civilisation; but posterity will not exonerate any country that fails to bear its proper share of the sacrifices needed to alleviate Jewish suffering and distress. To place the brunt of the burden upon Arab Palestine is a miserable evasion of the duty that lies upon the whole of the civilised world. It is also morally outrageous. No code of morals can justify the persecution of one people in an attempt to relieve the persecution of another. The cure for the eviction of Jews from Germany is not to be sought in the eviction of the Arabs from their homeland; and the relief of Jewish distress may not be accomplished at the cost of inflicting a corresponding distress upon an innocent and peaceful population. (1938)

Only a year earlier, but reflecting upon the future, Winston Churchill had written of the impossibility of a partitioned Palestine and had written – far more prophetically – of how:

the wealthy, crowded, progressive Jewish State lies in the plains, and on the sea coasts [of Palestine]. Around it, in the hills and the uplands, stretching far and wide into the illimitable deserts, the warlike Arabs of Syria, of Transjordania, of Arabia, backed by the armed forces of Iraq, offer the ceaseless menace of war … To maintain itself, the Jewish State must be armed to the teeth, and must bring in every able-bodied man to strengthen its army. But how long would this process be allowed to continue by the great Arab populations in Iraq and Palestine? Can it be expected that the Arabs would stand by impassively and watch the building up with Jewish world capital and resources of a Jewish army equipped with the most deadly weapons of war, until it was strong enough not to be afraid of them? And if ever the Jewish army reached that point, who can be sure that, cramped within their narrow limits, they would not plunge out into the new undeveloped lands that lie around them?