You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nah, tweets are ace.

Especially if they have 85 views.

From three weeks ago.

From an account that joined 6 months ago.

And has 1500 followers.

Especially in lieu of any other source for a subject literally being plastered across all media in the last few days.

Those are definitely not "searched". Those are researched. 

That tweet has a video recording of the UAE rep’s speech at the UN. What does it matter if it had 85 or 85,000 views? Are you questioning the authenticity of the video?

9 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

That tweet has a video recording of the UAE rep’s speech at the UN. What does it matter if it had 85 or 85,000 views? Are you questioning the authenticity of the video?

Nope - just pointing out it's current relevance. That and the odds of that particular source being what anyone would choose as an example of it given her numerous media bytes just a few days ago.

Wish I had seen the link to the Candace Owens content earlier.

She's great isn't she?

Can you post her chat with Tucker Carlson the other day for the interested folks?

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nope - just pointing out it's current relevance. That and the odds of that particular source being what anyone would choose as an example of it given her numerous media bytes just a few days ago.

I have no idea what you’re on about. I really don’t.

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

She's great isn't she?

Can you post her chat with Tucker Carlson the other day for the interested folks?

I haven’t seen her other chats, but if you feel they are relevant then why don’t you go ahead and post them yourself?

2 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

I haven’t seen her other chats, but if you feel they are relevant then why don’t you go ahead and post them yourself?

Ah - she's a card. 

You know she is having it out with Shapiro? That is why she put Finkelstein on - well below his class tbh but it's a gig I guess.

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Of course not.

That is why it was so strange to see her content.

Must have been #finkelstein'ed

Yes of course. Finkelstein is one of my Jewish heroes. I always look him up. It would be great to know what you think of his views rather than what you think of how I got to see his views.

Here’s the link to that interview again for easier reference:

https://x.com/candaceowenspod/status/1725622973531394227?s=46&t=rTM5huSAdkyumn9JrNS_MQ

Oh - very well spoken guy with an opinion that is shared by many.  I think there would be if not a majority then at least a plurality of Jews in NYC that share his opinion on the current situation.

Like Chomsky, his being American has given him some intellectual and moral freedom that I imagine many young Israeli scholars might struggle with. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Oh - very well spoken guy with an opinion that is shared by many.  I think there would be if not a majority then at least a plurality of Jews in NYC that share his opinion on the current situation.

Like Chomsky, his being American has given him some intellectual and moral freedom that I imagine many young Israeli scholars might struggle with. 

True. 

But I didn’t ask you about how well spoken he is or how many Jews share his opinions.

I asked you about what you think of his views.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He's got quite a few.

With regard to the situation now? 

With regard to the subject of his interview with Candace Owen. You know, the tweet that you referenced … the tweet that actually triggered this conversation … this tweet:

https://x.com/candaceowenspod/status/1725622973531394227?s=46&t=rTM5huSAdkyumn9JrNS_MQ

1 minute ago, Jurgen Knows said:

With regard to his interview with Candace Owen. You know, the tweet that you referenced … the tweet that actually triggered this conversation …

Ah - thought you meant overall, not specific to that audio - I will have to give it a listen as I would have never considered it because of Owens.

3 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Ah ok … so you question how other people get to find certain content before you actually listen to that content.

Got you.

Those are two different questions. 

I always find the source of what people post interesting/telling.

Pretty sure everyone does.

Before I do - you didn't really sit through an hour of Candace Owens did you?

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Those are two different questions. 

I always find the source of what people post interesting/telling.

Pretty sure everyone does.

Before I do - you didn't really sit through an hour of Candace Owens did you?

So you argue with sources rather than ideas. Not very wise if you ask me.

And yes I listened to an hour of Norman Finkelstein. I will always find a lot of time for Norman Finkelstein and other Jewish heroes like him (Noam Chomsky, Ilan Pappe …)

So you argue with sources rather than ideas. Not very wise if you ask me.

Exactly.

And yes I listened to an hour of Norman Finkelstein. I have a lot of time for Norman Finkelstein and other Jewish heroes like him (Noam Chomsky, Ilan Pappe …)

I don't believe you but I will report back with my findings.

Johnathon Cook on Consortium News

However counter-intuitive it may sound, there are three good grounds — ethical ones, at that — for refusing to join in the chorus of condemnation of Hamas’ actions on Oct. 7.

That isn’t the same as condoning what Hamas did. It is clear the group carried out war crimes that day — not least by attacking civilians and taking them as hostages.

But there is an important distinction to be made between recognising that crimes were committed and colluding in an act of condemnation that has been openly politicised, and continues to be politicised, to justify harming Palestinian civilians.

https://consortiumnews.com/2023/11/17/the-war-machine-wants-you-to-condemn-hamas/

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

She's great isn't she?

To be fair I think you're more likely to see her recently if you're scrolling around Palestine/Gaza related hashtags enough, I've seen tweets about her often and I've never searched for her. She's gone against a lot of other right wingers when it comes to Gaza, has been arguing with Shapiro + interviewing Finkelstein will have boosted her on social media too.