You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

5 hours ago, coachpotato said:

That type of fixture run in was what did for us season before last, too many games, too little rest time, too many injuries and those who were fit, running on fumes. Including the manager.

Not sure about that. 

After the March international break we won 9 league games, drew 2, (City & Spurs), won the FA Cup and got to the CL Final. 

Ultimately, we gave ourselves too much to make up in the league. I take the point on Thiago and Fabinho’s fitness in the CL Final, they weren’t the reason we didn’t win the game, we didn’t take our chances and they did. 

Hopefully not having players go deep in the AFCON helps this year. 

34 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Not sure about that. 

After the March international break we won 9 league games, drew 2, (City & Spurs), won the FA Cup and got to the CL Final. 

Ultimately, we gave ourselves too much to make up in the league. I take the point on Thiago and Fabinho’s fitness in the CL Final, they weren’t the reason we didn’t win the game, we didn’t take our chances and they did. 

Hopefully not having players go deep in the AFCON helps this year. 

See what you’re saying Scott, but I was thinking it was the cumulative effect of playing every single game we could possibly have done that season, and then to have to keep winning every game just to stay in touch which eventually caught up. Could have been different if Villa hadn’t have folded in the last game too. The FA cup final was a stalemate won on penalties. You’re right about the Madrid game, when Courtois played well, but we just didn’t seem to able to score and they did with pretty much their one decent chance.  The season became a massive mental test as much as it was physical.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Aventus said:

League table separated by 1st half and 2nd half goals. 

Not good for my heart having all these late winners, but I guess it comes with the territory of being a Liverpool fan 

RDT_20240303_1032385783371721535312523.jpg

RDT_20240303_1032416233271312213294232.jpg

Interesting we have more losses in both those tables than we actually have. And it's really surprising to see we've lost the 2nd half 3 times. 

Some period coming up.

It is highly likely that arsenal will be top by time we kick off against the cheats.

2 games for them against sheff utd and brentford - probably give them 6 pts.

Which means table would be like this at kick off on sunday before we play the cheats:

Arsenal P 28 PTS 64

Us P27 PTS 63

Cheats P27 PTS 62

After we play the cheats their next game is against Arsenal....

Arsenal play Brentford in the 17.30 kick off on Saturday, three days later they have Porto in the CL where they are 1-0 down after the first leg. 

Im not sure that game against Brentford is a given 3 points. 

Porto is in fine form and they beat Benfica 5-0 at the weekend, a difficult match for the European serial bottlers, they might have an eye on that game on the Saturday. 

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I know people don't like it, but we just need to keep focusing on we need to win all our matches. It might not need that, but we have to assume our rivals will, except where we play each other. Just do our stuff, don't give 2 fucks about anyone else. As things stand right now, this is our title to lose. Go and get the next 3 points and it's one that damages one of our rivals as a bonus. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

None of it means anything if we don’t beat Abu Dhabi at the weekend.

It's not a "must win", although a win would be more than useful.

This time next week there will still be 10 more games to play; a lot can happen.

28 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's not a "must win", although a win would be more than useful.

This time next week there will still be 10 more games to play; a lot can happen.

I largely agree with this and it used to be very much the case - twists and turns and anything might happen....but there is a strong argument to say that in recent times it is much, much less the case.

Hopefully fact there is 3 teams involved in this race can buck the trend and it isn't just another relentless stream of abu dhabi winning game after game after game.

Of course us doing so would be perfectly acceptable.

I haven’t looked at Arsenal or Man City’s fixtures, but I reckon our injury list and away fixtures will see us come up short.

We’ve got tricky ones in West Ham, Villa and Man Utd. Plus the Ev who would be a walkover for anyone else but will be kicking all shades out of us.

Arsenal have momentum right now - ever since the reds let them back in the title race at their gaff. We go away to a bottom 3 side, struggle to control the game, and need a 99th minute winner - they go bottom 3 side - it’s a stroll in the park. I’d rather a reds team didn’t have to rely on sheer determination to grab late winners - as fun as that is. 

A draw this weekend probably end it for us - not mathematically of course, also would give Arsenal a huge boost with both their rivals dropping a deuce. If we are still in touch when the CL semi finals come around - it could distract both of them. 

I’m trying to take the position that it is an outside chance for us this season. Next season, if Klopp had stayed working with this team, I’d bet on us. It’ll be so disappointing not to take it this season, and a tragedy if JK leaves with only one title - an absolute travesty in fact. 

6 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

Arsenal have momentum right now - ever since the reds let them back in the title race at their gaff. We go away to a bottom 3 side, struggle to control the game, and need a 99th minute winner - they go bottom 3 side - it’s a stroll in the park. I’d rather a reds team didn’t have to rely on sheer determination to grab late winners - as fun as that is. 

A draw this weekend probably end it for us - not mathematically of course, also would give Arsenal a huge boost with both their rivals dropping a deuce. If we are still in touch when the CL semi finals come around - it could distract both of them. 

I’m trying to take the position that it is an outside chance for us this season. Next season, if Klopp had stayed working with this team, I’d bet on us. It’ll be so disappointing not to take it this season, and a tragedy if JK leaves with only one title - an absolute travesty in fact. 

Load of bollocks, and there's a huge difference between forest and Sheffield united. Arsenal only beat forest by 1 goal - have more faith

7 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

If we draw this weekend we stay ahead of city. Arsenal will likely go ahead of us on goal difference with a trip to the Etihad to come. A draw is not a disaster for me. A win though makes us favourites. 

City will beat Arsenal. I think a draw for us at the weekend is fine. If we finish above City we'll win the league.

Arsenal still have plenty of fixtures they're more than capable of bottling - City, Villa, Spurs, United, Chelsea, and Brighton.

7 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

Context isn't your forte.