You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

Desperately hoping that the timing of this announcement is linked to progress on the appointment of his successor, given that he apparently told the club a couple of months ago; that we want to have some time where the news is "Jurgen is leaving" rather than "next Liverpool manager" - I accept that's probably wishful thinking though!

I've been interested in Xabi as our next boss for a good few months now and have gone completely aboard the Xabi Train in the last couple of months, but always felt that he might end up being the one that got away: that by the time we'd be ready to replace Jurgen (who we're obviously all delighted to have as manager) he'd be succesfully hoovering up trophies in Madrid and out of our reach (or damaged goods chewed up and spat out by the white hankie waving cunts). At least with the devastating news today, we might automatically become his logical next step?

Alledgedly he has a "former club management clause" in his Leverkusen contract as well...

I’m a bit wary about Bayern Munich making a play for Alonso, I think they would drop Tuchel in an instant for Alonso, and our news today may prompt them to act. Hopefully Xabi will not want to piss Leverkusen off by abandoning them for the biggest club in the same country. 

7 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I’m a bit wary about Bayern Munich making a play for Alonso, I think they would drop Tuchel in an instant for Alonso, and our news today may prompt them to act. Hopefully Xabi will not want to piss Leverkusen off by abandoning them for the biggest club in the same country. 

Well, if we isn’t willing to wait four months, it would suggest he doesn’t really want the Liverpool job. So I don’t think short-notice Bayern interest need be a concern.

10 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Well, if we isn’t willing to wait four months, it would suggest he doesn’t really want the Liverpool job. So I don’t think short-notice Bayern interest need be a concern.

Irrespective of whether we go for Alonso he'd be stupid to leave Leverkusen mid-season given the position they are in the table.

in 15 months he's taken them from the second bottom in the league to 4 points clear at the top of the league and one of the best teams around form wise.

21 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I can't see him leaving Leverkusen mid-season, especially with them sat top of the league. The point I was making was that everyone looks at Real Madrid as his next possible destination, but with Ancelotti signed up until June 26, I think Bayern Munich are more likely to be a rival to us if we see him as the manager we want next.

22 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Irrespective of whether we go for Alonso he'd be stupid to leave Leverkusen mid-season given the position they are in the table.

in 15 months he's taken them from the second bottom in the league to 4 points clear at the top of the league and one of the best teams around form wise.

Klopp is here till the end of the season so he would not have to leave mid-season?

Any excuse to tell my Xabi Alonso story.

Back when he was still playing for us, I was in  Liverpool One. Can't remember what I was doing, either walking through or doing some shopping.

Anyway, I was walking down the upstairs bit, on the right hand side, as if you had come out of Zara at the very top.

I was crossing over to the other side, using the walkways in there and who do i see on his phone? Yeah, it's was Xabi.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, John102 said:

Any excuse to tell my Xabi Alonso story.

Back when he was still playing for us, I was in  Liverpool One. Can't remember what I was doing, either walking through or doing some shopping.

Anyway, I was walking down the upstairs bit, on the right hand side, as if you had come out of Zara at the very top.

I was crossing over to the other side, using the walkways in there and who do i see on his phone? Yeah, it's was Xabi.

When's the book launch?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Code said:

Just watched Alonso’s press conference, he’s coming.

Im sure I could see the excitement in his face while saying just what he had to say without denying anything. 

Looks like it. All he had to do was say "No - I'm Leverkusen manager, next question please" but he was very non-committal.