You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Graham Potter was I with a shout and to be fair to the bloke wouldn't be a bad call. Let's face it his Chelsea record was shit but then it was never going to be good with a chairman playing fantasy football but his record at Brighton was bad at all and was working on a next to nothing budget. He'll if we are talking about wolves and Brentford managers might aswel, throw his name in the hat.

34 minutes ago, Saucepan said:

If it`s not Amorin then I`m hoping for Thiago Motta.

That bald fuck Arne Slot can fuck off. He looks like a guy who wears briefs and not boxers

I’m bald and wear briefs and boxers depending on my mood. I may throw my hand in for the job. I’m flexible.

14 minutes ago, AHA said:

Seen mention of Michel of Girona but they're part of City's group I think. Can't see them letting us have him even if we were interested. It's looking more and more like Joey Barton isn't it.

Wouldn't rule him out, there's a certain level of autonomy and unless City are saying see out the next year and then the job is yours then it's going to be a hard sell to keep him in a job he's outgrown.

The Owner of Girona has also been pretty vocal about how much he deserves a bigger job and that he'd drive him to Bayern himself when he was linked previously.

I've said previously he has the City Group stench on him and while he's not an obvious candidate I'm sticking to that.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Wouldn't rule him out, there's a certain level of autonomy and unless City are saying see out the next year and then the job is yours then it's going to be a hard sell to keep him in a job he's outgrown.

The Owner of Girona has also been pretty vocal about how much he deserves a bigger job and that he'd drive him to Bayern himself when he was linked previously.

I've said previously he has the City Group stench on him and while he's not an obvious candidate I'm sticking to that.

He’s got them in third but I know nothing about them. Have they done a City and ploughed fortunes in or is he actually a decent coach

1 minute ago, AHA said:

He’s got them in third but I know nothing about them. Have they done a City and ploughed fortunes in or is he actually a decent coach

Other than they're doing well and there's some shenanigans with moving players around the city group I don't really know.

19 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd suggest the perception of the options within the club is very different to the perception of the options outside of it.

Outside amongst fans it's that we've missed out/been rejected by all these managers and left with the dregs, inside I don't think Alonso or Amorim were as clear No.1 and No.2 as was made out.

You surely know who the real targets are so. Care to share?

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

You surely know who the real targets are so. Care to share?

I wanted Alonso then Amorim so I'm out as well but the idea that the club are suddenly scrambling for managers not knowing what to do is a nonsense though.

Reporting (which is the only thing we have to go on) tends to be linear, Liverpool interested in Alonso therefore he's first choice, Liverpool scouted player X therefore he must be a target for the next window.

Not sure that's how it works when you're inside a club (we know it's not in terms of scouts attending games).

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Continuity when you have the right person, like Klopp, not for the sake of it.

Yeah, the right person to have continuity from. As I said, I'm not advocating for the guy to be favourite for the job or anything. But also, not saying it's inconceivable to see there being a case for him being a candidate. 

40% win rate while being fucked by the refs at a club with no money to refresh the squad isn't a bad one (his first couple of seasons are better than Motta's in terms of results), he also never hides behind the players and is willing to speak his mind regarding the refs, haven't done any real thought about playstyles, although the personnel at Wolves obviously lend toward a fast counter and he seems to have gotten some patches of good form out of Hwang. I think there are plenty of meh to middling candidates out there.

2 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Given the current situation I can see us going for a temporary appointment.

The main downside to that would be transfers as you could only really let them tick over 

What current situation?

No way in a million years would we go for a temporary manager.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, the right person to have continuity from. As I said, I'm not advocating for the guy to be favourite for the job or anything. But also, not saying it's inconceivable to see there being a case for him being a candidate. 

40% win rate while being fucked by the refs at a club with no money to refresh the squad isn't a bad one (his first couple of seasons are better than Motta's in terms of results), he also never hides behind the players and is willing to speak his mind regarding the refs, haven't done any real thought about playstyles, although the personnel at Wolves obviously lend toward a fast counter and he seems to have gotten some patches of good form out of Hwang. I think there are plenty of meh to middling candidates out there.

I think bringing back Edwards is an example of continuity that makes sense. The guy was at the club during a successful period and we can use that experience. 

O'Neil seems well regarded, but what's the upside? The style of football isn't amazing, the results are ok, he's been at the club before. That just seems like a textbook middling candidate.

People like De Zerbi and Motta should be way above someone like O'Neil because they are the rare managers who have their own ideas. The upside is just higher with a manager like that.

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’m on the cusp of thinking it wouldn’t be so bad to have Mourinho for an 18-24 month clusterfuck in the forlorn hope that he can roll back the clock by a decade and a half if the alternative is Gary O’Neil.

More chance of Code getting the job than Mourinho. 

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’m on the cusp of thinking it wouldn’t be so bad to have Mourinho for an 18-24 month clusterfuck in the forlorn hope that he can roll back the clock by a decade and a half if the alternative is Gary O’Neil.

Fuck me. A sad indictment of our situation. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think bringing back Edwards is an example of continuity that makes sense. The guy was at the club during a successful period and we can use that experience. 

O'Neil seems well regarded, but what's the upside? The style of football isn't amazing, the results are ok, he's been at the club before. That just seems like a textbook middling candidate.

People like De Zerbi and Motta should be way above someone like O'Neil because they are the rare managers who have their own ideas. The upside is just higher with a manager like that.

That's all fair enough. I think the upside is unknown other than an assumption of continued improvement. Not keen on De Zerbi at all, personally.