You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (A) - Tue 26th Dec 2023 (5:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

First of all, please note this game is live on Amazon Prime. We go into the Boxing Day clash having missed the opportunity to top the table at Christmas. While it's true that it matters that you are top at the end of May and not at Christmas, it would have been nice to finish at Anfield in 2023 with a win. Burnley enter this having somewhat surprisingly won 2-0 at Fulham. They've changed a lot of personnel (and of course the manager) since the last time they were in the top flight. I haven't watched any of them this season (bar goal highlights) so all I know about them is that Kompany has them playing with a very different approach to that employed by his predecessor Dyche. Not many of the players from that era are still there. I've also no idea if they are missing key players for this one.

Our last game at Turf Moor was in February 2022. It was in that period where Mo and Sadio were away at the AFCON (both going all the way to the final), and Fab had suddenly found the goal-den touch. He it was who scored the only goal of the game, in a manner Dyche would have been proud of. Corner flicked on at the near post by Sadio, followed up by Fab who bundled in at the second attempt. Truth be told it was a bit of a slog, and Burnley had their chances. We grabbed the 3 points but it's not a game that will live in the memory.

Jurgen will go into this one a little short of options. No Robbo, Joel or Kostas as all have long-term injuries (Robbo is expected to be back some time next month). Thiago and Baj have yet to feature this season. Diogo and Mac are a few weeks away from a return. Lucho's knee will need assessing so he might be missing for this one too. And all this before the likes of Mo and Endo go away with their national teams next month! Mo is desperate to win the AFCON with Egypt (if they play anything like they did at the last one, it will involve a lot of running him into the ground as his team plays for extra time and penalties). Endo is captain of Japan's national team. I'm not expecting a cohesive performance at Burnley (though it would be very welcome of course) but I do still expect the squad to approach the game with the right motivation, concentration, attitude and application. Let's end 2023 with another 3 points please. Get it done!

• Upvote 5

Need to play whoever has something in the tank. 

Not sure what changes we can make. Wouldn't trust any of Bradley,Scanlon etc at fullback. 

I'd stick Jones and Gravenberch in as the others look shattered. 

Elliot and Nunez to start aswell

19 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Feels like something really bot right with our fitness coaches. We really seem to be struggling. 

Also we should have beeb resting first team players in the zeiropa when we could yet we kept bringing on big players in the second half. 

Problem is who else could we have played in uefa cup?

Ok you could argue fill side with kids in the dead last game - but that aside the options just aren't there due to injuries/lack of availability.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Problem is who else could we have played in uefa cup?

Ok you could argue fill side with kids in the dead last game - but that aside the options just aren't there due to injuries/lack of availability.

More not pulling some of them for the kids when we had a decent lead in some games. 

If we play as badly as today's match thread says we did, then we'll get battered.  If we play as well as we really did, we should be alright.  Definitely need our forwards to sharpen the fuck up, like.  Injuries are starting to bite in a busy part of the season; how we cope with this period will have a huge bearing on our league season.

Just get these beat, Reds.