You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My child has little interest in the Reds

deiseach

I’ve 5 kids and only 2 have any interest and both follow London clubs. I’m off to Chelsea tomorrow with the youngest but that’s only becuase we were given free tickets. Taking both my sons to a premier league game would cost £200 plus food, drinks, trains etc so more like £250. Crazy money when it is on the TV anyway. 

• Upvote 1

My lad's 19, has no interest in football whatsoever, never mind the Reds. I did take him to a few games when he was younger and he enjoyed it, but never caught the bug like I did when I was young.

He's autistic and has adhd so his attention span is chronic and he only seems arsed about his PlayStation.

Barely comes out of his room, can't even get the moody cunt to shower at present.

I'd be happy for him just to have a normal life, loving the Reds is the least of my worries.

• Upvote 7

When I met my missus, the boy was seven and a “Chelsea fan” which was unacceptable on every level. I remember watching the 2012 FA Cup final down here. He was out playing on the front while I watched the game indoors. He came in afterwards to (what felt like) revel in my misery. Little bastard. When I moved down here he was eight and I sat down and had a little chat with him. Gave him a two minute crash course on Chelsea fans and said basically, look, you’re still young enough to change allegiances, It’s possible that I may be able to take you to a Liverpool game in the future but I can guarantee I’ll never be taking you to watch Chelsea play. He accepted and turned into a top red. 

He’s gone off to uni (back atm for Xmas) so I started laying the groundwork for his departure a couple of years ago, letting the youngest (she’s 10 now) stay up with us to watch games. I’m sure that the late nights were what incentivised her at first but I guess she caught the bug. Took her to watch Cambridge play, she loved it, and have since taken her to a few LFC away games courtesy of a couple of lads from this website. I think she’s been to Leicester, Southampton and West Ham. She’s bang into it and watches games while I’m not here. Only Liverpool games though. She plays FIFA a bit now as well (only as Liverpool) and she’s asked to join her friend’s team at weekends. I’ve said I’ll look into it after Xmas. I fucking hate kids football and I know she’s not built for it anyway but I’m gonna have to suck it up for a while. 

I’d have missed a couple of our EL group games this season if she hadn’t reminded me that they were on. 

Didn’t realise I was so lucky!

• Upvote 11

Just now, Captain Willard said:

I’ve 5 kids and only 2 have any interest and both follow London clubs. I’m off to Chelsea tomorrow with the youngest but that’s only becuase we were given free tickets. Taking both my sons to a premier league game would cost £200 plus food, drinks, trains etc so more like £250. Crazy money when it is on the TV anyway. 

That's where my youngest's interest could have been piqued as he did enjoy going to a couple of local teams' games, my eldest has always been interested in both playing and watching the game. As you say though, it's stupidly expensive. Even worse, all 3 of us would need to be members- so we'd be paying £30-odd, £90-100 in total, just to have the privilege of watching a ticket sale screen countdown to zero twice a year. Even going to local teams' games up here is pretty pricey- £15-20 a ticket plus they'd want burgers and drinks- it didn't leave much change out of £100 usually, bit much for Scottish Second Division football.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

My girl enjoys playing football, but if it’s not the lionesses she isn’t interested in watching it for a second.

im hoping to be able to take her to a Europa league game at some point this season, which will then be a box ticked that we’ve sat on the kop together and that’ll be that. I don’t expect to be asked to repeat it.

That’s interesting mate - and a positive sign for women’s football and the future of it. If they are managing to capture a loyal fan base who are totally detached from the men’s game, then that is great news for that side of the game

My daughter never watches footy on telly but weirdly she really enjoys going to matches. I've even taken her to some non league games and she's enjoyed it but even last year when we were in the CL final she barely watched it. None of her friends have any interest in footy but they have come to the non league games purely for the novelty and experience probably.

A lot of kids do play footy still, quite a lot of parents in work take their kids to footy practice and organised teams. My mates' two daughters play footy  to a really high standard. one won the national schools cup in April and his other plays for Marine ladies. I know some other fella on my Facebook whose daughter has just won her first England cap. 

44 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

My old fella was great with this - shunned all his efforts to get me to support Everton or even be interested in football until I joined in a game at school when I was about 6. Fell in love with it and then Liverpool rather than Everton fortunately, but he used to take us to both anfield and goodison multiple times a season. It even got to the point where I was totally detached from any rivalry and would have said Everton was my second team - I loved it.

Those days are long gone now though of course!

My lad is nearly 4 and genuinely loves Salah and will sit and watch games with me. Take him to a toddlers football group each week and he lives that too, but not sure if he will be obsessed by it as I was as a kid

• Upvote 2

Boss questions from the kids when they first go though. 

“What is THAT thing?” - The spider cam. 

”Dad, how does everyone know how to start singing at the same time?”

Is there anything better than walking up the steps for the first time and seeing a floodlit pitch? I still appreciate that now, every time I have a chance to go. 

• Upvote 4

Having read this, I’m not sure if I’m lucky or not.

My eldest is a red and very interested in footy. He plays for a team on a Saturday and is one of the weaker players in their top team. He’s lucky or unlucky that he’s playing with some talented players and they win by a fair margin pretty much every week. But that does mean his interest wains from time to time, especially when his more talented team mates go through a big development leap or they just get continue getting better being at Brighton’s academy and receiving good coaching every week.

I usually take him to Brighton in the away end (thanks to people off here) and a few friendlies and will look to expand that into a few London aways when he’s old enough to go to some of the more unsavoury grounds. The distance I live now and schooling means that homes are generally off limits, but as he gets older I’ll be looking to do more of that too. 

He’s a better cricketer, so when summer rolls around or winter nets are on he diverts, but it doesn’t affect his attention from what the reds are doing. He’s just less committed to football than his younger brother.

The little one is obsessed. Morning, noon and night football. He plays on the astroturf in the back garden in the pitch black and is always looking to play. He consumes everything, non league, fa cup preliminary rounds, EFL and PL. Unfortunately he’s a hammer, follows his Mum in that regard. He still likes the reds and sees them as a second team, he’s only 6 so might switch, but I’m not encouraging it, if it happens it happens. 

It’s an expensive interest though. I’ve got another 10 years or so of this ffs.

• Upvote 4

My 2 are mad into it, wouldn't miss a match (well the 9 year old would if there was a match to be played). I was the same at that age, mad into the reds but would play a game over watching one. They both play for teams, the young lad plays for a Saturday and Sunday team, would play for a Friday night team too if the option was there.

My 12 year old daughter has really picked up the interest. 18 months she wasn't able to kick a ball, I mean literally, she swung her leg at a ball like golf club. Now shes best player on her team. We're all heading over for West Ham next week, the excitement is palpable in the house.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Is there anything better than walking up the steps for the first time and seeing a floodlit pitch?

It was probably this, more than anything, that made me fall in love with going to the match.

As a lapsed match goer, there’s not that much I miss. I do miss that though. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Is there anything better than walking up the steps for the first time and seeing a floodlit pitch? I still appreciate that now, every time I have a chance to go. 

That first visit to Anfield for me was a Saturday 3 o’clock against spurs. A proper grey and typical autumn day, but I remember being blown away at the brightness of the green pitch and the orange stewards jackets everywhere. I can’t even put into words the way it made me feel, but it’ll never leave me.

See, told you he was a good lad - first game a blue takes his lad to is a Liverpool game. He regretted it massively like, but fair play to him.

I honestly think if he’d taken me to Goodison first, that would have sealed my fate and I’d be a bitter now as well. Mad really

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ipswich FA Cup 3rd round replay 1992. Molly with the extra time freekick and McManaman with the winner