You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "Can you explain?" amnesty thread.

Lario

This is a place for all us thick folk to ask the questions everyone else know the answer to, with no fear of reprisals.

I'll start with this doozy.

I don't understand the whole political scene.

I don't know what the far left or far right represent. Or why everyone has to be one or the other...is there no middle ground?

Don't know what the Conservatives, Tories, Labour stand for in the UK. I do know the Tories are cunts though!

Don't know what the Republicans or Democrates stand for in the US, or the whole US system in general.

So if anyone can dumb it down into a TL;DR version, it'd be great.

Parliament was founded as a way for the very wealthy to negotiate with the Monarchy while ordinary people had no representation at all and were insignificant. Parliament only contained the tories and the whigs(liberals.) Two rich sets of people. The Liberals had some social conscience for the poor,but not too much. This went on for,I'm not sure how long,about a century or so,before workers formed unions to protect them from poor wages and death and illness at work. From the trades unions came the formation of the labour party from ordinary people to give them a voice in Parliament. Pretty much anything you now benefit from as an ordinary person is because of laws created by the Labour Party,NHS,better working conditions,shorter hours,because the trades unions sponsored Labour MPs to put their needs forward. It was hard fought. The Tories are rich cunts with little conscience while the Labour Party were just ordinary people's voices being put into action through laws,now they have lots of rich cunts too. The Liberals are somewhere in the middle.

Politics for toddlers 101.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, John102 said:

What period does VH1 cover these days? Sure when I was a kid it was all oldies but as time has passed does it now have stuff like Eiffel 65 and the Outhere Brothers?

They've got decade channels now, they aren't that bad really but VH1 used to just play really good songs from all decades. If I put them on I'm skipping between about 4/5 channels. Kerrang is decent if they do something like Metallica vs AC/DC or some shit. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How the fuck is consciousness a thing. How can a star explode and all the ingredients born in its fire slowly come together to make a human being that thinks "what the fuck is all this shit", how do we go from being stardust to working 40 hours a week and putting up with gobshites. None of it makes sense. 

And some twat invented paper lollipop sticks in amongst it all. Shit like that makes me think it's all a scam. We are all in some love island world getting watched by a higher being with better lollipop sticks and no alarm clocks. 

27 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I don’t know what a tracker mortgage is. 

Just in the middle of remortgaging at the moment (cheers Kwarteng you cunt) so can tell you what I know. A tracker mortgage will follow the Bank of England's base rate of interest plus a bit on top (depending on the lender and the amount you're borrowing etc.) I was offered a rate of 4.19% recently, which was the then base rate of 3.5% plus 0.69%, which the lender put on top. That's gone tits up now with today's rate increase to 4% (meaning that mortgage now has an interest rate of 4.69%) We're probably going to go fixed at 4.35% for two years until all this shit hopefully calms down. Hope that helped mate.

16 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Just in the middle of remortgaging at the moment (cheers Kwarteng you cunt) so can tell you what I know. A tracker mortgage will follow the Bank of England's base rate of interest plus a bit on top (depending on the lender and the amount you're borrowing etc.) I was offered a rate of 4.19% recently, which was the then base rate of 3.5% plus 0.69%, which the lender put on top. That's gone tits up now with today's rate increase to 4% (meaning that mortgage now has an interest rate of 4.69%) We're probably going to go fixed at 4.35% for two years until all this shit hopefully calms down. Hope that helped mate.

Yeah.  Sorry, this was a joke for the Irish lads on here. But thanks nonetheless. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Parliament was founded as a way for the very wealthy to negotiate with the Monarchy while ordinary people had no representation at all and were insignificant. Parliament only contained the tories and the whigs(liberals.) Two rich sets of people. The Liberals had some social conscience for the poor,but not too much. This went on for,I'm not sure how long,about a century or so,before workers formed unions to protect them from poor wages and death and illness at work. From the trades unions came the formation of the labour party from ordinary people to give them a voice in Parliament. Pretty much anything you now benefit from as an ordinary person is because of laws created by the Labour Party,NHS,better working conditions,shorter hours,because the trades unions sponsored Labour MPs to put their needs forward. It was hard fought. The Tories are rich cunts with little conscience while the Labour Party were just ordinary people's voices being put into action through laws,now they have lots of rich cunts too. The Liberals are somewhere in the middle.

Politics for toddlers 101.

Cracking summary and makes you wonder how the Tories stay in power.

57 minutes ago, A Red said:

I don't understand why Easter is at a different time each year

It's the moon.

Easter is the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox. If the full Moon falls on a Sunday then Easter is the next Sunday.

Bit of a giveaway that it was a pagan festival hopped on by Christianity for the whole Jesus resurrection thing, but there you go.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

It's the moon.

Easter is the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox. If the full Moon falls on a Sunday then Easter is the next Sunday.

Bit of a giveaway that it was a pagan festival hopped on by Christianity for the whole Jesus resurrection thing, but there you go.

I read this in the voice of Eddie Morra from Limitless.