You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, lebron said:

Of the things that have gone wrong this window, letting Milner, Henderson and Fabinho (and even more so Ox and Keita) go are at the absolute bottom of that list. We've just been suckered into believing players are actually coming to play for us for the history, fans and Klopp, when it's blatantly clear that money counts more than ever before.

Agree with the release clause shouts, that is the only way we can keep some kind of leverage, and only then if it's a player the oil clubs aren't keen on.

Would you not agree though that Fabinho's departure should have been contingent on us being absolutely certain that we had a replacement ready to sign? 

• Upvote 1

The Secret Scout seems to think we have made enquiries for regarding Valverde and Tchouameni. He is well connected at Chelsea but no idea otherwise.

He did call Gvardiol to City though, so im happy to believe it, at least to get me through until we batter Bournemouth and lift spirits.

3 minutes ago, lebron said:

Of the things that have gone wrong this window, letting Milner, Henderson and Fabinho (and even more so Ox and Keita) go are at the absolute bottom of that list. We've just been suckered into believing players are actually coming to play for us for the history, fans and Klopp, when it's blatantly clear that money counts more than ever before.

Agree with the release clause shouts, that is the only way we can keep some kind of leverage, and only then if it's a player the oil clubs aren't keen on.

Lettlng players go was not a problem ln and of ltself, lts that there were speclflcally two players ln Fablnho and Hendo who we never planned on lettlng go. 

We bought two attacklng 8s wlth the goal of flxlng the mldfleld lssues. That was golng to be that ln terms of cruclal buslness. We then lost two more players unexpectedly and proceeded to shlt ourselves, 

• Upvote 1

Just now, John102 said:

The Secret Scout seems to think we have made enquiries for regarding Valverde and Tchouameni. He is well connected at Chelsea but no idea otherwise.

He did call Gvardiol to City though, so im happy to believe it, at least to get me through until we batter Bournemouth and lift spirits.

I'd love Valverde but he seems a similar type of player to Dom Szob. Tchouameni makes sense but would we really be the only interested party if he is made available?

They both started for Madrid yesterday so I think  it's very unlikely either of them end up here anyway. 

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'd love Valverde but he seems a similar type of player to Dom Szob. Tchouameni makes sense but would we really be the only interested party if he is made available?

They both started for Madrid yesterday so I think  it's very unlikely either of them end up here anyway. 

Agreed. Were they to sell to raise finances though, Valverde would raise more actual cash as he joined from Penarol on a pittance a few years ago, so he'd basically be pure profit. He's the likelier deal in that sense, but he'd be a MacAllister-esque fit at no 6. Tchouameni would only represent a small financial uplift as they bought him for big money a short time ago so he wouldn't transform their spending power - although he's the better fit for us.

Not that it matters though. At best I can only see us having "enquired" as to their availability, Madrid saying they'd sell at the right price, them explaining the right price and us pretending the signal got cut off as we went through a tunnel or something. Even likelier it's some bellend knowing our fanbase is desperate and making shit up for clicks.

To be honest the top Dm's have all moved this window or arent available (the type we need who will do a job straight away) ugarte went to PSG, Calciedo well we know we're he went Tchoutomei (I know spelling is shite) isn't interested, Madrid won't sell Camavinga and even if Lavia decides to say yes to us he's not ready YET to play that role for a team looking a top 4 like we are supposed to be. The fact we only have a temporary DOF who is reportedly a Klopp recommendation is a shambles for a club like Liverpool it creates uncertainty players Jorg might fancy could be put off by the fact the next man in doesn't like the look of him it's a shit show and we are coasting rudderless towards the end of the window still needing in my opinion at least 1 Dm and a Lcb.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Would you not agree though that Fabinho's departure should have been contingent on us being absolutely certain that we had a replacement ready to sign? 

Not really. He needed replacing. I'm just fine with it being Bajcetic, Jones/Mac Allister (or even Trent/Thiago) doing that replacement job. I loved Fabinho, and when we had Sadio, Bobby and a willing Salah doing our forward press, the legs of Henderson and Wijnaldum sacrificing themselves as well, he was perfect. With worse pressing from the front (Salah's sub was 100 pct about that yesterday) and more refined midfielders next to him, I don't think even prime Fabinho would have been sufficient. We're probably going to need to play with two at the base now (hence the Trent project), at least until Klopp gets Diaz and Salah to function with the midfielders, and/or puts Gakpo up front. As the guys on the pod suggested, maybe peak Kante or Mascherano might have been able to cover the gaps we're currently leaving, but Fabinho was definitely not the answer to that question. Would I like another midfielder, yes (especially given Thiago/Bajcetic' injury issues). Am I also ok with making do until they are fit, yes.

I actually think our main and very fixable issues start from the front. Play Gakpo up front, kick Salah in the bollocks and say he has to perform defensively or Doak will play, and let Jota/Diaz alternate with whoever performs the best defensively being the main decider towards playing time. IF (and I don't think it's a big discussion, as that is what Klopp wants to do, and will continue to do until he's gone) we're going to play the high line and counter-press, we need to be much, much better at it. Our players (and especially those gone - probably a big reason why they are gone) lost a bit of belief in their ability to and desire towards our front-foot-football last season. Probably listening to the clueless wankers on Sky (Carra/Neville spending every last minute harping on about the high line because they would never have been able to play with it themselves) and their agents/friends telling them lies also. We need to get that belief back, and I hope Klopp is absolutely ruthless with it, as he has demonstrated with Nunez. Get better at it, or you won't play much.

For our style to work, we need 100 pct commited individuals playing as a team. You get absolutely exposed trying to play that way if only ONE player doesn't participate in the team idea. Which is why I'd be fine moving Salah on as well... I'm pretty sure Doak would have had no qualms in running himself to the ground for our cause. Salah a bit less so now that he's built himself up to the status he has. The preferred option is of course for Salah to put enough effort into the 38 league games this season so Doak is only his back-up, but Mo is so clearly on the vane in terms of pace and solo threat that he needs to work his bollocks off for himself (and us) to keep up our chance-creating via press/counterpress.

Drifted a bit away from your question there I guess. No, I don't think it had to be contingent on it, as keeping Fabinho would have solved nothing. I hope we get a deal or two done due to the uncertainty surrounding Bajcetic, but I won't get too worked up about it if we don't.

PS! I really hope we start setting up like this in the meantime:

Trent-Konate-VvD-Robbo

-----Mac Allister--Jones-----

-------Szoboszlai-------

Salah-----Gakpo-----Diaz/Jota

With the three midfielders interchanging positions with Gakpo subject to who and when to lead the press. We should absolutely be exploiting the talents of Jones (and Elliott) in terms of ball retention. Jota and Diaz were giving the ball away for fun yesterday, and Gakpo is clearly better at it further up the field.

• Upvote 2

Ornstein taking the time out to report that we are interested in another player who has absolutely no desire to come to us is just wonderful. It's like the entirety of the footballing world is reveling in us embarrassing ourselves.

From him reporting it, I am taking that we enquired (AGAIN) and RM or Tchouameni's representatives felt compelled to ring Ornstein and ask him to publicly ask us to fuck off. 

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Lettlng players go was not a problem ln and of ltself, lts that there were speclflcally two players ln Fablnho and Hendo who we never planned on lettlng go. 

We bought two attacklng 8s wlth the goal of flxlng the mldfleld lssues. That was golng to be that ln terms of cruclal buslness. We then lost two more players unexpectedly and proceeded to shlt ourselves, 

Hmmm.... I'm not so sure. Klopp was clearly frustrated with both Fabinho and Henderson last year, so even if the club wasn't banking on them to go, I suspect Klopp had privately told both they weren't going to play much. I think the Bajcetic injury is a much bigger problem for Klopp, and the reason why we're scrambling for "similar" players in terms of position now.

I'm more than happy that Henderson's gone. He held us back as much as he was a big part in us doing well. He had massive flaws to his game, even more so than Fabinho's lack of pace in his position. If we're re-writing the history books Wijnaldum was the one of the three we couldn't afford to lose, but probably best to let bygones be bygones.... I think the only thing that would have led to serious playing time for Henderson was his status/captaincy and Klopp's loyalty to him. He and Fabinho would have competed with Bajcetic for the 6 position at best. Agree that it wasn't the plan for both to go at the same time of course, but I don't think it was the same shock to Klopp that it was to the media and us supporters.

1 minute ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

We need to take control of this situation. The best way to do this is to stop whoring ourselves out for a blockbuster DM. Find an alternative solution.

I’d say find the hottest woman footballer we can and sign her for midfield. Then she will distract the opposition by flashing her tits and we score lots of goals. How’s that for an alternative approach?

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I’d say find the hottest woman footballer we can and sign her for midfield. Then she will distract the opposition by flashing her tits and we score lots of goals. How’s that for an alternative approach?

I'm all for this. Saudi's won't ever try and poach her either, so it's actually pretty fucking smart.

I really don't think it is all doom and gloom.

For me it has gone pretty well so far. We've got rid of the absolute wastes of space Keita and Oxlade.

We have got rid of Henderson and that for me is positive as feel Klopp would likely have played him too often this season, he is washed up - and we have got pretty decent money for a hugely and in my view terminally declining Fabinho.

We have added Mac Allister and Szoboszlai who are both quality.

A DM and a centre half now and I think we are reasonably well set. I see no reason why we won't get those two done and no reason we won't be better as a result of our entire summer business.

20 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Can we not just try and get Amadou Onana from Everton? 

The fume alone would make it worthwhile.

Was just about to post the same thing Everton have told utd they want £60m worth a punt as good as Lavia at the moment.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

For me it has gone pretty well so far. We've got rid of the absolute wastes of space Keita and Oxlade.

We have got rid of Henderson and that for me is positive as feel Klopp would likely have played him too often this season, he is washed up - and we have got pretty decent money for a hugely and in my view terminally declining Fabinho.

A DM and a centre half now and I think we are reasonably well set. I see no reason why we won't get those two done and no reason we won't be better as a result of our entire summer business.

I don’t know what’s happened to you mate? Your posts used to be far more negative. You seem remarkably calm amidst all the hysteria. 

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

Then you must have been blind and def for the past 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

No shite in my eyes, he was all over the place a few times yesterday.

We should have been replacing him this summer too, not making him captain.

He wasn't, he had Konate running 40 yards forward to cut thing's out. A right back trying to play right midfield and no midfield in front of him.