You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I really like Rice and think he'd solve more of our issues than Bellingham on paper. Not sure he could play a lone 6 though,think he'd be better in a 423. Think he's more likely tp end up at the mancs,Arsenal or if he can Chelsea though

I think I've mentioned this before but one of my friends works for a bank that deals with football finances. West Ham have received a bid of £80 million for Rice, he thinks its from Arsenal.

22 minutes ago, dave u said:

And both are valued at at least 80m. If we pay that much for either of them while walking away from Bellingham, then everyone involved should be fucked off.

Both are quality players in the Premier League. You would have to pay a premium. It's what you have to accept.

3 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think I've mentioned this before but one of my friends works for a bank that deals with football finances. West Ham have received a bid of £80 million for Rice, he thinks its from Arsenal.

Can't be true.

No way could a club with Arsenal's revenues afford to pay 80m for a player they want.. they do about 200m less a season than us!!

7 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Why was a bid sent from Arsenal to West Ham via a bank, if it's the cash for a bid, why are they sitting on an 80 million pound deposit and why are Arsenal paying the amount in full?

1_GP1906421.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Didn't they pay close to that for Pepe? And next season, they will be in the champions league 

They were paying 50p a week for 144,000,000 weeks through the catalogue.

They paid 20 million upfront for him with the remaining cash spread over 5 years.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

How do you think Transfer financing works?

I'm just trying to establish whether Arsenal have submitted an offer (bid) which tends to be verbal and then in writing or whether they've put the cart before the horse and wired the money to the bank in lieu of a transfer happening, or whether both are already done.

You're the one with the info not me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

If United bought Maguire in the summer 2017 for £80m then we would not have got VVD for £75m. Southampton would have raised the asking price and we would probably have baulked. I think the Enzo to Chelsea has done that with Bellingham.

True but if we had gone for a cheaper alternative we wouldn’t have had the success IMO. And if we got 2 or 3 players instead of Bellingham we might not be as successful but I’d rather that be Klopp’s call and not the owners’.

27 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm just trying to establish whether Arsenal have submitted an offer (bid) which tends to be verbal and then in writing or whether they've put the cart before the horse and wired the money to the bank in lieu of a transfer happening, or whether both are already done.

You're the one with the info not me.

The only info I have is that an £80 million bid has been received for Declan Rice. 

Don't know if it's been rejected or accepted. I only mention it because some people are suggesting him as a target for us but it seems like he's on his way to Arsenal.

3 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

The only info I have is that an £80 million bid has been received for Declan Rice. 

Don't know if it's been rejected or accepted. I only mention it because some people are suggesting him as a target for us but it seems like he's on his way to Arsenal.

That's why I questioned whether/why a bank would be involved at the bidding stage.

Depending on the structure of a deal a buying club will, more often than not, pay the transfer fee in installments (different to amortisation) that might be over two years three years, 5 years etc

for example 

Pepe was an initial 20 million with the remaining 52(?) over 5 years

We allegedly paid Wolves 4 million in the summer we bought Jota, a further 1 million in December, 12 million the year after etc.

The selling club will, depending on need, use a lender to loan the full value of the transfer in one go in lieu of the full amount being received over time.

I don't doubt that Arsenal are interested in Rice and 80 million is a popular number being thrown around for a number of months but I doubt it's as far along as suggested.

51 minutes ago, kemskem said:

True but if we had gone for a cheaper alternative we wouldn’t have had the success IMO. And if we got 2 or 3 players instead of Bellingham we might not be as successful but I’d rather that be Klopp’s call and not the owners’.

Could also be said Klopp wanted Gotze and Julian Brandt over Mane and Salah before he was convinced by other members of the committee

1 hour ago, kemskem said:

I can't see myself how Bellingham alone makes us better than 2 or 3 players.

Individually they all may not be as good as him, but i feel 3 really solid midfielders makes us stronger than just Bellingham and fixes more of our issues - especially given how short of reliable, available and fit midfielders we have been. Adding just Bellingham does not do enough IMHO.

Of course Bellingham and 2 really good solid options is probably the ideal - but it seems that is off the table.

We must surely be lookibg at circa 150m on the midfield whatever we do, and i personally would looking at maybe 30-40m at centre half too - so circa 200m spend - net obviously will be minus whatever we can get for the players we get rid of.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They are. It's Brighton man - would be surprised if they had a net spend of more than 100 m total over the last 10 years.

Past 10 years

Brighton's remarkable net spend over past decade compared to Crystal Palace, West Ham, Southampton and Leeds | SussexWorld (sussexexpress.co.uk)

13. Brighton

Total spend: €398m. Net spend: €248m.

2 hours ago, dave u said:

And both are valued at at least 80m. If we pay that much for either of them while walking away from Bellingham, then everyone involved should be fucked off.

I assume you are including Klopp.

Young Jude was 120 plus agent fee. The Dad tax.

So read 140 mil before getting to wage difference. How does Dortmund want that payment? 

Not hard to envision a scenario where the club could do two 80 mil rated players for the same cash outlay.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Past 10 years

13. Brighton

Total spend: €398m. Net spend: €248m.

No idea where you got that from but they pocketed @ 80 mil in the last year.

If your numbers are correct it would be 15m a season net.

Looking here something doesn't add up.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/brighton-amp-hove-albion/alletransfers/verein/1237

Looks like they had a couple of seasons where they spent @ 60 mil - the rest are negative.

EDIT - the link you have here is from Feb 22.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No idea where you got that from but they pocketed @ 80 mil in the last year.

If your numbers are correct it would be 15m a season net.

Looking here something doesn't add up.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/brighton-amp-hove-albion/alletransfers/verein/1237

Looks like they had a couple of seasons where they spent @ 60 mil - the rest are negative.

EDIT - the link you have here is from Feb 22.

That's just a piece from there own local press.