You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool enter talks with Saudi Arabian and Qatari consortiums over a potential £3BILLION takeover

Paulie Dangerously

Every club in the UK has, to some degree, always had owners whose money gives, or has given them, advantages over other clubs in buying players, expanding grounds, or any other area where finances matter in football.

The clubs used to be owned by, or had directors who were, the richest local business men, now they’re owned by the richest individuals, companies or states worldwide.

It’s long been a business and not been a “sport” for decades in the way it has been run, and having bent cunts like Blatter at the very top has meant the corruption has filtered down to where match officials and players are accused of corruption as well.

I don’t like it much, but have always felt (naively?) that my club was different and went about participating in a reasonably honourable way, hence the quotes at the bottom of my musings.

The ownership of our club has been constantly held to account by a high proportion of our fans, and we can hold our heads up I believe on that score, whereas other clubs fans have accepted their owners without much objection as long as the shiny things were being won or big players being signed, objection only being heard when that hasn’t been the case or the club has been in financial trouble, relatively smaller clubs in the lower leagues are no different, the proportions are however.

We are at a point where to compete it seems clear we have to have owners to compete with the other owners in terms of financial might, it’s that or gradually fall behind in terms of winning things, other than those competitions the “big” clubs can’t be bothered with, something we ourselves have done recently, apart from last season.

The only way other than that is for the authorities to bring about some form of order where there’s a levelling of the playing field (FFP’ish control, properly implemented) or the clubs themselves self control (ESL’ish control, properly implemented) but across the whole game and not just the clubs who have the biggest budgets.

That is very unlikely to happen, given how far the greed train has gone already, so the choice is stark.

Whoever owns your club you keep turning up, or you don’t.

There was a saying somewhere that Football Will Eat Itself, well the meal is well and truly underway.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, an tha said:

Does anyone in authority or the media etc and frankly most fans really not count or downgrade Man City's trophies.....?

Answer - No.

It is shite - it does stink, but nobody REALLY cares.

It is a race to the bottom and sadly we are well into have to join them to beat them territory.....the game is rotten and you either be as rotten if want to win or you win nothing and stand shouting 'oh yeah but we are different' whilst nobody else gives a fuck.

Only those in power could change all this, but they won't and it is too late now - rot is already well and truly set in.

IMO the Government needs to take action to save the Premier League and frankly the game. State backed investors have no place in the game really, but once one team does it, the rest can be as we have seen totally outspent and outgunned and so the slide into oil-money and middle-eastern ownership of football continues as the rest are desperate to catch up and we now see Newcastle and there will be more and more. This doesn't happen in Germany of course where the 50+1 rule ensures fan input.

As a Liverpool fan I hate what game has become but it's not up to the club to fall on the sword. It's up to the people who run country and game to reset game and bring back fairness - they haven't and won't so here we are and of course if clubs are already getting the huge advantages they enjoy due to their ownership models then others will think why can't we enjoy same or why should we be disadvantaged.

It is shite, but this is what the playing field is now.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think anyone gives a fuck about state ownership outside of the clubs like ourselves, Manchester United and arsenal who suffer most from them. And that's only the fans. FSG and the glazers benefit from Arab money when they come to sell because they need buyer to push up the value, so they won't stop it either. Everyone else, absolutely everyone, just sees it disrupting the clubs they already hate and cling in the hope it could be their turn next. It's like people who play the lottery every week. They're all being ripped off, but they pray for the day "it could be you". 

The game is fucked. But mostly nobody gives a fuck. It's here to stay and the answer is simple, get on with it or just fuck it off. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Does anyone in authority or the media etc and frankly most fans really not count or downgrade Man City's trophies.....?

Answer - No.

It is shite - it does stink, but nobody REALLY cares.

It is a race to the bottom and sadly we are well into have to join them to beat them territory.....the game is rotten and you either be as rotten if want to win or you win nothing and stand shouting 'oh yeah but we are different' whilst nobody else gives a fuck.

Only those in power could change all this, but they won't and it is too late now - rot is already well and truly set in.

IMO the Government needs to take action to save the Premier League and frankly the game. State backed investors have no place in the game really, but once one team does it, the rest can be as we have seen totally outspent and outgunned and so the slide into oil-money and middle-eastern ownership of football continues as the rest are desperate to catch up and we now see Newcastle and there will be more and more. This doesn't happen in Germany of course where the 50+1 rule ensures fan input.

As a Liverpool fan I hate what game has become but it's not up to the club to fall on the sword. It's up to the people who run country and game to reset game and bring back fairness - they haven't and won't so here we are and of course if clubs are already getting the huge advantages they enjoy due to their ownership models then others will think why can't we enjoy same or why should we be disadvantaged.

It is shite, but this is what the playing field is now.

How very fucking convenient , fuck the idea of being owned by middle east cunts. Your conscience should tell you that some things are more important than taking money from some vile regime , just so you're favourite team can compete against other vile regimes on a level playing field. 

If you don't get this , I think you're supporting the wrong team

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I remember when I was school in the mid 80's and NFL (or Grid Iron as it was back then) was gaining popularity one of my class mates asked my sports teacher if we could have a go at NFL.
Now the sports teacher was a big burly welsh man and his reply was why would you want to play Rugby for pooftahs when we're going to play proper Rugby?    Always makes me laugh when I see NFL on the TV and think back to Mr Evans comments.  

I remember all the kids wearing them horrible blue Pony Linebacker trainees back then.

Pony is a very apt name for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think anyone gives a fuck about state ownership outside of the clubs like ourselves, Manchester United and arsenal who suffer most from them. And that's only the fans. FSG and the glazers benefit from Arab money when they come to sell because they need buyer to push up the value, so they won't stop it either. Everyone else, absolutely everyone, just sees it disrupting the clubs they already hate and cling in the hope it could be their turn next. It's like people who play the lottery every week. They're all being ripped off, but they pray for the day "it could be you". 

The game is fucked. But mostly nobody gives a fuck. It's here to stay and the answer is simple, get on with it or just fuck it off. 

Yeah....agree.

43 minutes ago, elvis said:

How very fucking convenient , fuck the idea of being owned by middle east cunts. Your conscience should tell you that some things are more important than taking money from some vile regime , just so you're favourite team can compete against other vile regimes on a level playing field. 

If you don't get this , I think you're supporting the wrong team

You are spectacularly missing the point..I actually made a point of saying it should be stopped and there should be rules/laws brought in.

But there hasn't been and there won't be.

The game is fucked - the rot already well and truly set in because it has been allowed to and it is here to stay now...You, me or anyone else can stick to our principles as much as we want, we can walk away from game, we can go and watch Prescot Cables instead and so on and on....but ultimately on the mass scale nobody else really does or will give a shiny shite - Anfield will still be full with 59,000 next season and season after and season after - sky will still have loads of subscribers...... the dirty wheel will continue turning and the pots will be handed out and the fans will celebrate and nobody will really give a fuck where the money came from with which they were won same as they don't now.....whether it is Man City, Newcastle, us or fucking Tranmere.

I am not saying i support it or like it - i am just saying it is what it is and it is only gonna get worse.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Rugby for Pooftahs.  God Bless Mr Evans.
He's a good red too. 

Rugby is full of posho’s sticking their fingers up each others arse holes. American Football is full of 28 year old men with the mushed up brains of a toddler because it turns out helmets and pads don’t work if you use them to twat each other with. Both things are shit.

24 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Rugby is full of posho’s sticking their fingers up each others arse holes. American Football is full of 28 year old men with the mushed up brains of a toddler because it turns out helmets and pads don’t work if you use them to twat each other with. Both things are shit.

0CD21301-122A-44BF-82B2-FF0A36F4D73F.gif

It's horrible.  We are in a moral conundrum as fans in terms of the outcome we want for our club - the sliding scale degree of compromise we are willing to accept in terms of money for players versus human rights - with the one wish being that a local billionaire would end all of that worry.

They've got things together on the pitch, and now, should it all come together, off the pitch, too.

It's a sickener.

I liked Ole, Pogba, Glazers, fans fighting, endless ex-player arguments whilst we won all the cups.  Good times.

• Upvote 1