You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Nunes on the radar of Liverpool

TLW

The seemingly never ending search for a new midfielder has taken a twist with Matheus Nunes becoming an alternative option.

For a long period of time it has been believed that Jude Bellingham is the player that Liverpool covet the most.

While there remains a deal of interest, recent comments from the young English international seem to indicate that he is more than happy at Borussia Dortmund.

Bellingham displayed his talents on home turf in midweek scoring a goal in Dortmund’s 2-1 Champions League defeat to Man City.

In the lead up to the fixture, the midfielder stated how grateful he is to the German club for what they have done for him and he wants to be part of a successful team.

“I'm here to win for Borussia Dortmund and I'm very happy here at the minute and I'm focused on all of the goals we have as a team and I'm not looking past that.

"The club have done loads for me and made me feel very welcome since I first came and gave me the opportunities to develop even further. To look past that and into the future would be disrespectful... It's not something I am thinking about, to be honest."

borussia-dortmund-midfielder-jude-bellingham1.jpeg

While that situation will undoubtedly evolve throughout the season, as any club who do their due diligence on these matters, Liverpool are not just fixated on one player and have a number of options on the table with one of them being Nunes.

Born in Brazil, Nunes moved to Portugal at the age of 12 where he joined his local league club Ericeiense who were in the sixth division.

His natural talent alerted scouts from the top flight and in 2018 he moved to Estoril and a year later joined Sporting CP.

In his time with the Portuguese giants, he has caught the eye of many top clubs on the continent and it was only a matter of time before he made to a bigger league.

That the destination was England was not a surprise, but the fact that it was Wolves caught quite a few off guard, although it will feel like a home away from home at the Midlands club.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 17.54.57.png

The belief is that many of the bigger clubs in the Premier League are holding their fire and seeing how the 24 year-old who signed a five-year deal in signing with Wolves adapts to English football this season.

The Mirror reports that the Reds have a ace up their sleeve in the fact that Sporting director Julian Ward has a good working relationship with the agent of Nunes in Jorge Mendes who is also the person who concluded the deal to bring Darwin Nunez to the club.

The injury situation in the midfield which has blighted the start of this campaign seems to be on the improve with Thiago returning to action and others like captain Jordan Henderson sure to return after the international break.

And that means loan signing Arthur could well be leaving the club as soon as he joined, with reports from Italy that the Brazilian may be sent packing in January alluding to the fact that Jurgen Klopp is not sold on what he can bring to the team.

And as Klopp has shown in the past if he does not think a newly acquired player is a good fit, he is not afraid to look at another option.

View full article

I thought this was an old article until it got to the wolves part. It could be the dumbest shit I've ever seen to be incredibly desperate for a midfielder and watch one you are seriously interested in fuck off to a smaller premier league club for relative peanuts while you scramble for an injury prone loan player on the last day of the window. Its speculation but if we then buy Nunes for a much larger fee it feels like some incredibly poor decision making at the club. There's being risk averse and then there's just being stupid. Waiting to see how he'd adapt to the Premier league first... how many players have we bought not from the Premier league first or given premier league debuts too.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I thought this was an old article until it got to the wolves part. It could be the dumbest shit I've ever seen to be incredibly desperate for a midfielder and watch one you are seriously interested in fuck off to a smaller premier league club for relative peanuts while you scramble for an injury prone loan player on the last day of the window. Its speculation but if we then buy Nunes for a much larger fee it feels like some incredibly poor decision making at the club. There's being risk averse and then there's just being stupid. Waiting to see how he'd adapt to the Premier league first... how many players have we bought not from the Premier league first or given premier league debuts too.

Depends what grade we gave him, how they see him as part of the overall team and whether there was sufficient concern about his ability to adapt that, like lots of top clubs, they were willing to see the player make an intermediate move first.

Not seen any Wolves games this season so don't know how Nunes has played but given the lack of talk about him I'd guess he's been solid but no more?

So if there are other options to Bellingham, one of which is Nunes, are we now meant to believe that none of them were available/suitable  during the summer? 

Funny how when the window was open and we could make transfers and he wasn't available we were supposedly completely fixated on Bellingham.

Now though, of course (because our scouting department is back to being supposedly brilliant) he is just one of a number of options. 

It's almost like the scouting department made a list of recommendations during the summer, some of those were considered too expensive and so we were fed the Bellingham line. Now, we will be fed the cheaper option line. 

Just feels like this article is just starting the club trying to soften the fans up so they now don't get too much grief when it's someone cheaper than Bellingham (while they gloss over that said player was probably available this summer). 

It's bullshit from an Italian clickbait site (Arthur), it's like tattooing a players name on yourself because ClubCall or Calcio Mercato said you were going to sign him and now everyone's getting annoyed at it.

With Nunes, as I said above, it will depend on how he performs and depending on the clubs assessment of him in Portugal it's fairly standard practice.

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

conjecture.

Overruled! I'll not have you ruining my courtroom, Mr Vest. And stop muttering under your breath about Henderson, whoever he is. 

29 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Of course it's conjecture it's a football forum. We are just talking about what's in the article posted.

Continue, Mr Hundreds. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HBenn said:

So if there are other options to Bellingham, one of which is Nunes, are we now meant to believe that none of them were available/suitable  during the summer? 

Funny how when the window was open and we could make transfers and he wasn't available we were supposedly completely fixated on Bellingham.

Now though, of course (because our scouting department is back to being supposedly brilliant) he is just one of a number of options. 

It's almost like the scouting department made a list of recommendations during the summer, some of those were considered too expensive and so we were fed the Bellingham line. Now, we will be fed the cheaper option line. 

Just feels like this article is just starting the club trying to soften the fans up so they now don't get too much grief when it's someone cheaper than Bellingham (while they gloss over that said player was probably available this summer). 

Nunes was available in the summer!

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Nunes was available in the summer!

I know. 

I just meant the narrative was it was Bellingham or no one and now its moving to him being just one or a number of options. 

Ok, the sources aren't too reputable at this point but let's face it, it's consistent with FSG's modus operandi isn't it?

Suggest we will go massive for one player and no one else will do and then put out the whole "better value for money" and hope no one notices that one of those players we are now being linked with would have been probably at least £20-30m cheaper had we bought him in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

Should have bought Van Dijk from Celtic, Jota from Atletico and Bellingham from Birmingham.

We'll ignore the different rates of development, public perception, expectation and the part regular game time plays in the development of players.

Who'd have thought losing out on Salah to Chelsea would have been a blessing.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Should have bought Van Dijk from Celtic, Jota from Atletico and Bellingham from Birmingham.

We'll ignore the different rates of development, public perception, expectation and the part regular game time plays in the development of players.

Who'd have thought losing out on Salah to Chelsea would have been a blessing.

We absolutely should have signed Van Dijk from Celtic. We had Dejan Lovren, Martin Skrtel and Kolo Toure starting games the season he went to Southampton. He was comfortably better than them even back then.

6 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

We absolutely should have signed Van Dijk from Celtic. We had Dejan Lovren, Martin Skrtel and Kolo Toure starting games the season he went to Southampton. He was comfortably better than them even back then.

Doubt that would have been the prevailing opinion at the time though.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Have you forgotten the love for the 3 mentioned? 

You reckon that would have mattered?

People would have rightly wanted them replaced but the debate still would have been why are we signing a player from the Scottish league, it's easy to look good in the Scottish league, the signing show's no ambition, why aren't we going for [insert flavour of the month defenders here].

'Just sign anyone' quickly becomes 'anyone but him'.