You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Guess we'll see next year..it just feels like another of those young players we get linked to before they make their big money move elsewhere. 

Yes. Still feel they are up to something this summer. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sterling's been at City for 7/8 years, it's probably a similar situation to Mané where both the player and the club are ready to move on.

Yeah and they bought a player in his position for £100m last summer. He got dropped in the CL semi vs Madrid too. Don’t think Pep’s a big fan of his. 

10 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

My idea, and bare with me as it’s a bit wild, would be to replace a couple of the nine midfielders, the shitter ones like, with one good one.

Milner’s contract has just been extended. Last I read we were in talks with Naby to extend his too. We’ve just signed Carvalho, that leaves us Jones and Elliott. I’m ambivalent about the Curtis, for his sake I think he’d be better off starting every week somewhere else, but it looks like Klopp rates him and wants him in around the club, he played in some big games last season. 

11 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Some talk of us getting Gini back in on loan next season on Twitter.

I’d be up for that, plus he hadn’t been mentioned for almost 3 pages so it’s great we can have an original fresh discussion about him yet again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Some talk of us getting Gini back in on loan next season on Twitter.

Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics on here by posters who are convinced that Klopp is happy with his midfield options as they are. So convinced that we bring back somebody who we happily let walk out the door a year ago.

Klopp would bite your hand off for a midfielder, that's why we were in for Tchoumeni for 60m a few weeks ago. 

FWIW if it's Gini or nothing, I'll take Gini (far better than playing Morton or Ox), but he was frustrating as fuck as a player. It's also a stop-gap solution when that was exactly what Joyce briefed that we'd be avoiding.

IMO we don't need a squad player, we need a starter. It should be Fab, Thiago and one other. Gini doesn't fit that profile.

The concept that Hendo can be a starter is a fallacy, especially with the World Cup next year. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

The concept that Hendo can be a starter is a fallacy, especially with the World Cup next year. 

Hendo started most games when fit last season no?

Wrt Gini, I loved him as a player for us, but it would be a bad idea to bring him back IMO especially when he struggles to get a game ahead of Herrera and Gueye.

• Upvote 1

The ideal scenario is to upgrade Naby with an attack minded CM who’s not injury prone, but I don’t reckon it’s that big a priority because I think a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago is very very good, and Naby is a capable deputy (when fit).

• Upvote 1

I wish we would just go out and get the midfielder we want this summer. Even if it costs a touch more, as if this is Salah last year the season after will be tough to compete as we adjust. Might aswell go all in this year. Especially with the winter world cup as you can guarantee PSG,Chelsea,City,Barcelona will be tapping Salah up during the world cup and all the stories might have a impact in the second half of the season. Same with who ever we want to replace him, try and get them in now. Even if it means not spending much next year. Get them in and up to speed before he goes

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics on here by posters who are convinced that Klopp is happy with his midfield options as they are. So convinced that we bring back somebody who we happily let walk out the door a year ago.

Klopp would bite your hand off for a midfielder, that's why we were in for Tchoumeni for 60m a few weeks ago. 

There is obviously no way we are getting Gini back on loan. 

As has been said previously Klopp takes a long term view on signings. It looked like we were signing Fekir, but then spent the money on Allison instead - and then never bought another player with Fekir’s attributes. 

The centre half bullshit of Jan 21, when we  were desperate but waited for Konate instead.

He obviously wanted Tchouameni, but then we spent the money on Nunez when he went to Madrid, instead of another midfielder.

If there’s not a midfielder available who Klopp feels is good enough, or there’s someone he thinks will be better and available next season he’ll wait.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Hendo started most games when fit last season no?

Wrt Gini, I loved him as a player for us, but it would be a bad idea to bring him back IMO especially when he struggles to get a game ahead of Herrera and Gueye.

Yeah but has waned considerably. I love Hendo but he hasn't got the mobility to play the 8 role anymore, not the quality to make up for the mobility.

I agree - I'd swerve Gini even if it was a cut price loan.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

There is obviously no way we are getting Gini back on loan. 

As has been said previously Klopp takes a long term view on signings. It looked like we were signing Fekir, but then spent the money on Allison instead - and then never bought another player with Fekir’s attributes. 

The centre half bullshit of Jan 21, when we  were desperate but waited for Konate instead.

He obviously wanted Tchouameni, but then we spent the money on Nunez when he went to Madrid, instead of another midfielder.

If there’s not a midfielder available who Klopp feels is good enough, or there’s someone he thinks will be better and available next season he’ll wait.

I don't disagree with you. Like you, I think we only have so much money, and it went with the Nunez deal. We're not buying a midfielder because we cannot afford one, not because Klopp/our scouts cannot find another midfielder.

Mane, Salah and Tsimikas were not first choice options. "Waiting for the right player" is just the PR for "we will only spend 25m net"

7 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I don't disagree with you. Like you, I think we only have so much money, and it went with the Nunez deal. We're not buying a midfielder because we cannot afford one, not because Klopp/our scouts cannot find another midfielder.

Mane, Salah and Tsimikas were not first choice options. "Waiting for the right player" is just the PR for "we will only spend 25m net"

If we can't afford a new midfielder something is wrong. Especially as by time Miamino,Williams,Phillips etc are sold we won't have much of a net spend. And will have cleared Origi,Miamino,Mane and a large chunk of Milner wages off the books. That's over 300k a week on wages alone.

Oh and another 50k a week for Adrian gone

23 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I’m not sure we are agreeing really!

I think with some of your examples Klopp knew what he wanted for the position and there were a couple of options he was happy with. E.g. Gotze or Mane - which worked out well for us. 

Tsimikas obviously too we went for when Norwich were asking for more than we wanted to pay for that other fella. 

Salah was first choice though (not that it really matters for the point).

I think Klopp is happy enough with the overall quality of the squad now that he’s fine with waiting if the quality of the player is not available. And as we’re fucking brilliant he’s only really interested in absolutely top notch players for midfield.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

The ideal scenario is to upgrade Naby with an attack minded CM who’s not injury prone, but I don’t reckon it’s that big a priority because I think a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago is very very good, and Naby is a capable deputy (when fit).

Sorry I cant agree with that part.

Hendo sadly is not as good as he was, still can do a job, but not for any length of time any more. 

We need to be looking at something in the midfield for sure, but as it stands, its Fab, Thiago, and not a lot else long term.

2 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I'm not sure it's a money issue. I think it's a numbers issue and we'll go for someone should we shift someone out - which it feels the most likely would be keita or chamberlain because of their contract situations and where Chamberlain is concerned, because he's too far off the level. I don't think klopp could have made it clearer in the 2nd half of last season he was not in the plans. 

I thought this was amusing this morning from the echo, trying to convince the world we want to keep Chamberlain, when you read this they don't do a convincing job. maybe it's aimed at Chamberlain as much as anyone. 

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain transfer stance as interest grows in Neco Williams

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chamberlain-williams-liverpool-transfer-stance-24267492#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

How do we replace Salah, Firmino and buy one or two midfielders next summer though?

That's going to be even more expensive than this year. Feels like we're always one signing behind where we need to be. Not a massive problem but I'd have thought with the 5 subs rule it's a perfect season to slowly bring in new players and give them minutes and experience. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

How do we replace Salah, Firmino and buy one or two midfielders next summer though?

That's going to be even more expensive than this year. Feels like we're always one signing behind where we need to be. Not a massive problem but I'd have thought with the 5 subs rule it's a perfect season to slowly bring in new players and give them minutes and experience. 

Perhaps the success of Diaz has woken the spreadsheets up to January is not evil. 

A couple of interesting articles in The Athletic today. 

One on us basically says we’re looking at going 4-2-3-1 last season as we’re too reliant on wide areas and have been predictable. It points to Wolves and Real Madrid with Firmino coming on off the striker to shake things up and that we could then “overload” sides with 6 attackers (including full backs) and it would allow Thiago to use less predictable passing deeper. 

On City, it sounds like they prepared to let some (not all) of Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Zinchenko & Gundogan to leave. Guardiola wants to “shake” up his front line. 

They have Haaland and Alvarez coming in. Cole Palmer will will get more minutes and deputise Mahrez. Foden and Grealish to fight it out on the left. 

They want Phillips to replace Fernandinho and that scruff from Brighton for Mendy / Zinchenko. 

Say Sterling and Jesus leave this summer, I think this all looks a bit risky. Sides will sit deeper because they’ll all be shit scared of Haaland. Hopefully it completely back fires. 

46CB9388-18B7-4733-852C-1E358D9198A5.jpeg