You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

1 minute ago, HBenn said:

God help us if we ever drop out CL! Obviously those numbers are skewed by the pandemic but still.

Incidentally the year we posted a large 100 million profit (through player sales and all three main revenue streams) our squad investment shot up as well with a 27% rise in wages, and a 32% rise in player amortisation.

9 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I think they are super super lucky with Jürgen. He is ultra professional and has made it clear that they won't discuss issues he has in public (in any depth). 

Even then though, when asked if he had been backed this summer he paused and said about taking more of a risk. 

I think they will really really struggle to find someone like Jürgen that will keep everything pretty much in house. Personally I think he deserves better considering what he has achieved for us.

Spot on.

Conte, Rafa or Mourinho would have been calling them out explicitly for being the tight fisted cunts they are.

Scott Scotty Parker even did similar with Bournemouth's owner on Saturday. Lost his job for having the audacity. I dont think FSG have the balls to sack Klopp if he mouthed off publicly though. John Henry would be posting daily apology videos if that ever happens.

4 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Welcome to modern day football though mate. The other teams are going to stop spending because they think its unfair on us. We need new owners because our current owners think they can outhink being outspent and unfortunately, it's just not possible.

Not ignoring your earlier post by the way, will reply when I have time properly.

It's not really modern football, its a small handful of clubs while the rest of football operates at a somewhat regular level.

Just because Elon Musk rocks up at your local corner shop and pays £50 for a mars bar it doesn't make mars bar's worth £50, someone just paid too much for them.

Don't need you to reply, it's fine, it's just a generic ramble because trying to break down a year by year look at what happened at specific clubs would have been a pain.

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The PL does control it's own FFP but is known as 'Profit & Sustainability.' It's a rose by another name.

As a condition of the Government's insisted sale of chelsea from Abramovich, without which the Government seemed ok to let the club fold, the buyer had to agree to an extra billion quid over and above the value of the club, made up of roughly £200m for 'immediate' team rebuilding and £800m towards redevelopment of the shithole ground.

This amount was exempted from FFP \ P&S and agreed with the PL as the money was all wrapped up under this banner.

Recent reports have suggested chelsea are within the PL's spending limits but I find this hard to believe seeing as the money they splashed under Fwank, £200m and now with Boehly is within the 3 year rolling FFP \ P&S period. And they's still looking to bring players in so the spending isnt finished. They've also just paid up the full final year of Barkley's £200k a week contract,  that's £5m right there.

Well as I said in my post, the PL have P&S rules, but not FFP - are the PL allowed to tell uefa what does or doesn't constitute acceptable investment money? My understanding is that extra 1bn does not even have to be invested. It was an unenforceable term of sale. A little like when H&G said they wouldn't buy LFC with aquisitional debt, so we won't know if the new Chelsea owners will have invested that money or not until we see the accounts in 18 months time. 

Frankie DeTory didn't spend that much either - well he did, but they'd sold players such as Hazard and a million of their child labour projects, so it wasn't that extraordinary. 

Not that any of this makes much difference. Chelsea are owned by people who are here for the money, just like ours. They're not like abramovic who was trying to wash his and Russia's image, so the cost of investment was worthwhile. People are desperate to blame all other influences outside LFC on FSGs unwillingness to spend. Any money Chelsea spend now is about increasing the value of their brand, in order to sell down the line. They've been very clear with journalists on their 10 year exit plan. So even if they have pumped money in, they won't keep pumping it in, because they're here to make money. Frankly, considering the money FSG have earnt out of us and their commitment to solve the stadium situation on purchase, they could have paid for the stadium work instead of saddling the club with debt. They could. They just didn't. 

They are obviously relying on Klopp to perform wonders with the squad he has again.

Now I'm not doubting Klopps ability to get the most out of what he has at his disposal the man is a bona fide genius to do what he has done here but god forbid we don't get Champions league football next season ( I think we will ) then the shit will hit the fan big time imo and those tight arsed bastards in Boston better not even attempt to blame the best manager we've had in years 

1 minute ago, Tj hooker said:

They are obviously relying on Klopp to perform wonders with the squad he has again.

Now I'm not doubting Klopps ability to get the most out of what he has at his disposal the man is a bona fide genius to do what he has done here but god forbid we don't get Champions league football next season ( I think we will ) then the shit will hit the fan big time imo and those tight arsed bastards in Boston better not even attempt to blame the best manager we've had in years 

I agree... Aside from they don't expect klopp to work miracles. They won't be upset as long as we're top 4 and this squad should be able to reach that target. 

As we all know, even when you look down the leagues, when you need to keep selling players to bring in new ones, eventually your luck runs out and you bring in one or two on the run who don't match the level of those before. Even with the great work that klopp does, it wouldn't be a shock to think he's due a bad signing or two. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I agree... Aside from they don't expect klopp to work miracles. They won't be upset as long as we're top 4 and this squad should be able to reach that target. 

As we all know, even when you look down the leagues, when you need to keep selling players to bring in new ones, eventually your luck runs out and you bring in one or two on the run who don't match the level of those before. Even with the great work that klopp does, it wouldn't be a shock to think he's due a bad signing or two. 

You don't even need a bad signing you just get to the point where you need to keep your best players so there's no one else to sell. We let contracts run out weirdly considering we are a sell to buy club. Mane for £28 million that's a fucking terrible piece of business a year left or not we paid more for Ox with only a year left on his deal, personally I think that was a terrible piece of business too. Klopp is a genuinely unbelievable manager who gets the most from most of his players.

People say we want a champions league quality player but what is that, we've bought plenty of players nobody at the time thought we're class, like Robbo, Matip, Henderson, jota even Salah was only presumed to be cover for Mane on the right by a lot of people. For me Klopp is the difference maker he elevates people it's fucking grim if we don't make the most of his tenure, now is when FSG should be investing making the most of the foundations Klopp can build before he leaves.

Bellingham is an Mbappe 2020 bullshit thing that needs putting to bed, he is going to be way beyond our price range when the clubs all come calling.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You don't even need a bad signing you just get to the point where you need to keep your best players so there's no one else to sell. We let contracts run out weirdly considering we are a sell to buy club. Mane for £28 million that's a fucking terrible piece of business a year left or not we paid more for Ox with only a year left on his deal, personally I think that was a terrible piece of business too. Klopp is a genuinely unbelievable manager who gets the most from most of his players.

People say we want a champions league quality player but what is that, we've bought plenty of players nobody at the time thought we're class, like Robbo, Matip, Henderson, jota even Salah was only presumed to be cover for Mane on the right by a lot of people. For me Klopp is the difference maker he elevates people it's fucking grim if we don't make the most of his tenure, now is when FSG should be investing making the most of the foundations Klopp can build before he leaves.

Bellingham is an Mbappe 2020 bullshit thing that needs putting to bed, he is going to be way beyond our price range when the clubs all come calling.

I don't argue with any of that. 

In terms of mane, once he was going to Munich and nowhere else, we were over a barrel and they used the way we got thiago in much the same way. It could be argued we should maybe have extended him earlier, but then he had gone off the boil and we had 3 forwards who were similar age, similar contract situations and we clearly didn't want to invest in all 3 long term. I've said this before (and I know @m0e disagreed with me over it), but I think we expected one of Salah or Mane to agitate for a move before this summer, so one would go, we'd use the money to buy someone younger and we could lock the other in quickly before we got to the 3 forwards 12 months away from a bosman. But anyway, that ship sailed and we ended up fucked this summer almost losing mane and Salah. 

But we can't keep expecting to just keep getting away with either selling off our best players or selling off 3 members of the squad to replace one. In the end there's nothing left. We're a wealthy club, but we seem to act like spurs did when they were building their stadium. 

27 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

...god forbid we don't get Champions league football next season ( I think we will ) then the shit will hit the fan big time imo and those tight arsed bastards in Boston better not even attempt to blame the best manager we've had in years 

They won't, but their apologists will.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

He's played about 90 minutes of competitive Football for us, got a goal, an assist and has hit the post. 

The headbutt was stupid but I find the negativity around Nunez absolutely bizarre. Every time I've seen him play, he's caused chaos for the opposition defence.

I hate him. He has too many tattoos, and he dresses like a fanny.