You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I dont know, but the fact he had to send your self-described Neo-Nazi or whatever you have called this nice gentleman with potential war criminal status to Odessa, during the first week of the war, probably means their preparations are deemed inadequate (or in total disarray and ready to let the Russian in, if I remember correctly, it is mainly Russian-speakers there) and some firm hand is needed.

Yeah maybe. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that the Russians won't win, just that they're shite. It's not exactly hard to flatten cities is it when you've got rockets and bombs out the arse, but what's the point when you've got nothing left to capture and the brutality of what you're doing drives all your former brethren even further into the arms of the west. Victor Orbam was in Poland handing out soup or some shit the other day to refugees, great success.

Hungary. He’s pushing Hungarian humanitarian aid as a better solution to the crisis than EU military aid in the hope that he can continue to get Russian investment after the crisi

Some days I get the feeling that no one on this forum was listening during Geography lessons

2 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Hungary. He’s pushing Hungarian humanitarian aid as a better solution to the crisis than EU military aid in the hope that he can continue to get Russian investment after the crisi

Some days I get the feeling that no one on this forum was listening during Geography lessons

you guys must be on some sort of alert Pesti - I know other consultancies who are moving their people away from the border with Ukraine

18 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

It was CCCP when I was a kid so it was all the same place, give me a break Bill Brysonavic.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has reportedly survived three assassination attempted in the last week alone.

The Times in the UK reports that mercenaries from the Kremlin-backed Wagner Group and Chechen special forces have both attempted to kill the Ukrainian president in the last week but all three attempts were unsuccessful.

The Ukraine Secretary of National Security and Defence has confirmed the three foiled assassination attempts.

He told local media he received the information from double agents "who do not want to take part in this bloody war".

According to reports, news of one of the assassination plans sparked the 36-hour curfew Kyiv was under last weekend, so soldiers could sweep the streets for Russian saboteurs.

Civilians were warned they could be "liquidated" if they were spotted outside during curfew hours, as they would be assumed to be the enemy.

Tom Cooper back with full daily summaries - double feature for the weekend. It was not a counter-offensive NE of Kiev but a big but temporary push back apparently.

" My summary for 3 and 4 March, 7th and 8th days of this war.

AIR
The VKS is heavily involved in supporting Russian Armed Forces in northern, north-eastern, and eastern Ukraine. Interdiction strikes are run by Su-34s, close air support by Su-25s. An Su-30 or Su-34 was shot down over Irpin, and a Su-25SM-3 (08/RF-93026) near Volnovakho (half-way between Donetsk and Mariupol; that pilot was captured. A helicopter that attempted to rescue the pilot was then shot down. Another Su-25 (04/RF-91958) was shot down west of Kyiv (this is the 3rd definitely confirmed loss of a Russian Su-25 so far).
Ukrainians are claiming ‘air superiority’ on their part, and to have saved ‘a significant majority’ of their aircraft. But, if so, these seem to be operated over the western part of the country only. And even then: the VKS bombed a school in Zhitomir, yesterday.
Re. Ukrainian demands the NATO to impose a ‘no-fly zone’… can only side with the Ukrainian Prime Minister Simonyte, who described this as ‘irresponsible’. As said on the first day of the war, and several times ever since: this is not going to happen.
NORTH
Early on 3 March, five brigades of the Ukrainian Army have concluded their counteroffensive from Kyiv in northern and north-western directions. In the course of the same, they have liberated Irpin and thrown the 20th CAA and forward elements of (largely stalled) 36th CAA back across the Teteriv River, 30+ kilometres north of the capitol. Subsequently, Ukrainians withdrew back into northern suburbs of Kyiv and much of this area was flooded, to disturb a renewed Russian advance in southern direction.
That said, at least four BTGs of the 35th CAA remained in the area west of Kyiv, and two are cut off south of the E-40. Between others, these are holding western Bucha, Hostomel/Gostomel, and eastern side of Bucha. Additional Russian troops are reported in Makariv and Molyzhyn, futher south.

NORTH-EAST
The advance of the 41st CAA around Chernihiv is largely stalled – and that for already four-five days. The Keystone Cops in Moscow then reported the army lost its deputy CO, General Andrey Sukhovetsky, and even Putin then praised him into stars… precisely the latter is prompting me to lean towards Ukrainian reports along which he was shot, whether for incompetence or for disagreement with Moscow. The dust about this affair did not settle when the artillery of the 41st CAA subjected Chernihiv to a massive artillery barrage, causing an immense number of civilian facilities. Seems, the new Deputy is eager to prove he’s made of stronger stuff…
The 2nd CAA completed the envelopment of Konotop, and is probing towards outskirts of eastern Kyiv from several directions.
The 1st GTA has enveloped Sumy and, picking speed, is probing in the same direction, with forward elements somewhere west of Priluky. It's 4th GTD excells in losing lots of T-80s underway, some to ambushes, others because they run out of fuel.
Ukrainians claim a local counterattack of their 93rd Mechanised Brigade to have hit the northern flank of the 2nd CAA and drove all the way to the border. Could be: certain is that the 20th CAA ceased assaulting Kharkiv. Its forward units have withdrawn 2-3km away from it, but the city is subjected to severe air strikes and frequent artillery barrages. South of Kharkiv, the 20th CAA is pushing in south-western direction, around Chuhiv, has taken Kupiansk, and reached Balakliya, its forward elements are deep behind a concentration of three Ukrainian brigades.

EAST
Keystone Cops in Moscow claim that on 3 March the troops of the 8th CAA and the Separatists have reached Svatove, and linked-up with forward elements of the 2nd CAA, further north. Ukrainians are denying this, but I would say there’s little doubt that a sizeable Ukrainian force (probably an entire infantry brigade) is surrounded in the Bilovodsk area.
Further south, the Russians took the (completely ruined) Volnovakha, and are pushing from there in direction of Mariupol. The latter is kept under sustained artillery fire and air strikes, and Russian videos are indicating heavy losses of those elements of the Ukrainian 54th Mechanised Brigade that withdrew into the perimeter of this city.

SOUTH
Yesterday, I’ve discussed the advance of the 58th CAA on the Mykolaiv in much detail. With the Ukrainians managing to stop its advance on this city in the outskirts, seems Zusko is concentrating on pushing his advance party (probably the 810th Marine Brigade, reinforced by the 177th Marine Infantry Regiment) further north-west. They have certainly reached Voznensk and seem to be probing over the Pivdenny Buh River all the way to the Chychukliya River, 30km further west, perhaps even to the Tylihul River, another 30km to the west. Meanwhile, he’s surely going to search for ways to block Mikolayiv with his heavier units and artillery.
Northwards along the Dnepr River, early this morning Zusko’s troops were in the process of securing the Zaporozhye Nuclear Plant (the biggest of its in Europe), causing panic-calls from Uraine to the IAEA in Vienna. Reportedly, the Russians have shelled the facility: turned out, they’ve hit the training compound, and – at least from what is known by now – caused no damage to any of nuclear reactors. Further east, the 58th CAA has secured Vasylivka, but did not manage to capture Tokmak, while its eastern flank is pushing into suburbs of Melitopol.

To address an interesting question: can Russia interdict the flow of supplies rushed by EU/NATO members into Ukraine from the West?
Right now: not. As explained before: in Russia the Russians do it differently. Along the GenStab’s doctrine, the VKS is the ‘Russian Air Force’, but has only the administrative control over ‘flying units’. Operational control is exercised by the headquarters (HQ) of local military districts. In the case of Ukraine, this is the HQ Western Military District (West OSK). The Russians thus do not operate their air force as ‘independent branch of armed forces’, which would then be free to first fight down the enemy air power and air defences, and then run ‘its own war’, but as a branch responsible for air support of ground troops (see: ‘jointness’). Correspondingly, the VKS is not even equipped to run its own SEAD-campaign, but to conduct an assault on the enemy air defences in cooperation with units equipped with ballistic missiles, and units equipped with strategic bombers and cruise missiles.
Foremost, right now, the VKS is busy supporting troops in northern, north-eastern, and eastern Ukraine. This is what all of its available Su-25s and Su-34s are doing for days already. It is not meant to, and thus has no capacity to run a simultaneous SEAD-campaign against Ukrainian air defences in the West. Even if, it is not meant to, not equipped, and thus unable to then go searching for specific, say, trucks, and then target these selectively.
Of course, what is valid for right now – could soon change. Only yesterday, the Keystone Cops in Moscow have released their first video (link: https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1499706349910904842) of one of Russian-operated UCAVs, targeting what they said was an Ukrainian field HQ. While these are few in numbers, and currently busy supporting their ground forces, they might – sometimes in the future – be deployed to start interdicting the flow of supplies from the West.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Anyone noticed we've all forgotten about Covid since this "war" started? Makes you think. 

It did cross my mind when I saw all of the Nato lot talking in each others ears before the photo op with them all togther.

China is not going to show Premier League Games because of their support for Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60524865

Chinese rights holders have told the Premier League they will not broadcast English top-flight matches this weekend because of the league's planned shows of support for Ukraine, the BBC has learnt.

China is a close political ally of Russia, which has invaded Ukraine.

The Premier League has said it "wholeheartedly rejects Russia's actions" and is set to show solidarity with Ukraine.

"We call for peace and our thoughts are with all those who have been impacted," it added, when announcing its plans earlier this week.

That will include captains wearing special armbands in Ukrainian colours, while stadium screens will display 'Football Stands Together' in front of the country's blue and yellow flag.

Fans have also been encouraged to join "a moment of reflection and solidarity before kick-off at each game".

When asked about the Chinese refusal to show matches, the Premier League declined to comment.

The Premier League rights in China are held by iQiyi Sports which took over last year after the collapse of a deal with PPTV.

The row comes with the Premier League reviewing its broadcast contracts in Russia.

This week Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said that, with teams demonstrating their support for Ukraine following Russia's invasion, he would "like the Russian people to see the strength of feeling in the Premier League and in English football this weekend".

He added: "But we are looking at them [the contracts] very closely in terms of suspension or termination, given the current circumstances."

In 2019 China's state broadcaster CCTV removed an Arsenal-Manchester City game from its schedule after comments made by then-Gunners midfielder Mesut Ozil.

Ozil had posted on social media about the treatment of Uighur Muslims in China.

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Anyone noticed we've all forgotten about Covid since this "war" started? Makes you think. 

Well any deaths after winter a year ago are just excess deaths anyway apparently. You know, according to someone with the intelligence of a toenail but the arrogance of Ric Flair on speed, cocaine, poppers and peroxide. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It was CCCP when I was a kid so it was all the same place, give me a break Bill Brysonavic.

Neither Hungary or Poland were ever in the CCCP

To be fair, a long time ago when I first was offered a job in Hungary, I did have to Google the place

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

you guys must be on some sort of alert Pesti - I know other consultancies who are moving their people away from the border with Ukraine

No one here is really panicking yet, most people believe that even if Putin was crazy enough to attack a NATO country it probably wouldn’t be Hungary. Having said that, everyone has a plan. Passport applications in Hungary have gone through the roof and there’s been a shortage of euros as everyone ensures they have a stash in case of having to move quickly.

Thanks to Brexit and Priti Patel being evil, I don’t think I could quickly get my wife and mother-in-law into the U.K. so our rough plan is to drive to Austria and find a rural B&B somewhere around Salzburg

• Upvote 1