You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

56 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think his performances have been on a par with an in-form Gomez, and better than an in-form Matip.  His shortcoming is his pace, but his distribution with both feet, his heading ability, and his bravery would be a better fit than Matip for most teams.  The only reason he could be perceived as a weakness for Liverpool is because of any potential exposure when we press high.   

He's done exceptionally well, and I hope he finds himself a really good deal for next season.

You can not be serious. Man.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Sorry, but a fit and in form Matip is possibly one of the best centre halves in the league not called Van Djik

I like big Nat but let's not get carried away here.

This

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

You can not be serious. Man.

I am serious.  That's not to say that I believe he can maintain his performances at that level, or that he is a better player than either Matip or Gomez, but the stats over the last  part of the season don't lie.  

• Upvote 1

I really dont get this obssession today that every player has to cost £50m or thereabout and if not, he's not good enough for us. It's one for the shiteness of modern football thread.

Im made up both Nat and young Rhys have come through and done a great job for us. They make mistakes? Sure, even Crazy Horse made mistake. Jocky used to make mistake, Thommo made mistakes, even Virgil makes mistakes.  It's football.

As Ive said before, I reckon Jurgen will ease all of Virgil, Joe and Joel back into the first team given the seriousness of their injuries (lesser extent for Joel) and, there will be a lot of game time for Nat and Rhys if both are still here next season.

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I am serious.  That's not to say that I believe he can maintain his performances at that level, or that he is a better player than either Matip or Gomez, but the stats over the last  part of the season don't lie.  

But do you love him as much as Joe Allen?

I would happily keep Phillips as 4/5th choice myself. 

I'd rather get rid of Matip, not because Phillips is better, but hes available. Rhys Williams, not sure he will make it long term but i wouldn't sell him this summer. get him out on loan next year to a Championship side and see if he can make the step up playing each week. 

Phillips could be ok as 4th/5th choice if he is happy to stay as that - although he'd deffo get in a few lower half sides and play a lot....so if he wants that good luck to the lad - he's an honest defender who can defend his 18 yard box decently.

Williams is miles and miles away from being up to what we need and will probably settle at a decent championship side....he is painfully slow, has terrible positional awareness and is naive.

The awareness and naivety can improve as he gets older and more experienced, as can his strength which is another major weskness....but he total lack of pace can't and in our team that glaring weakness is too great.

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Fair play to both of these two today. They put their bodies (and, apparently their eyes too) on the line and you can't ask for much more than that. 

Screenshot_20210523_193255.jpg

Great photo that, both have been heroes. 

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Sorry, but a fit and in form Matip is possibly one of the best centre halves in the league not called Van Djik

Yes,I also spotted a touch of hyperbole there. We forget how good Matip is because we rarely see him play.

3 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Been at the club for 5 years and has played 123 games out of 266 the club has been involved in. 

Less than 50%. the lad is on a reported 100k a week. its crazy amount to play for player you cannot rely on to be fit when needed.

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Been at the club for 5 years and has played 123 games out of 266 the club has been involved in. 

Less than 50%. the lad is on a reported 100k a week. its crazy amount to play for player you cannot rely on to be fit when needed.

Very true but it still doesnt change the fact he is usually excellent when playing after those lay offs.

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Aye and the last two seasons it is even worse.

19 out of 76 league games.

Really good defender, but sadly just totally unreliable.

3 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Stringvest must have been drunk when he wrote that. Matip is the second best CB in the league, no ifs and buts about it. 

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Very true but it still doesnt change the fact he is usually excellent when playing after those lay offs.

No argument there

But we don't have owners who will overspend so having players like Matip,Keita,Ox,Shaqiri,Origi,Miamino,Tsmiskas who earn half a million a week between them is crazy. 

Roughly £26ml in wages for these lot and they played less minutes than Fabinho and he missed 8 games with injury

Not included mins for Miamino as i don't know how many he played for us as the stats have ours and southamptons game

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

there is no love that compares to the love I have for Joe Allen.  The Adam Lallana love is on a different plane, so in itself is incomparable. 

With Lallana being your son I was never going to use him as the benchmark.