You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Why are folks so arsed about voting intention given that there's no actual election for the next four years, with Brexit, covid and any other amount of heinous shit between now and then? 

This speaks to the problem of how people view Labour IMO, it's not about headlines and retweets, it's about (re) building a machine that can actually win the election when the time comes.

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Why are folks so arsed about voting intention given that there's no actual election for the next four years, with Brexit, covid and any other amount of heinous shit between now and then? 

This speaks to the problem of how people view Labour IMO, it's not about headlines and retweets, it's about (re) building a machine that can actually win the election when the time comes.

It's a barometer. The media story was get rid of Corbyn and itll be all apple pie. Well if labour are not ahead mid term (a year or two away) then maybe a change of strategy might be needed.

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's a barometer. The media story was get rid of Corbyn and itll be all apple pie. Well if labour are not ahead mid term (a year or two away) then maybe a change of strategy might be needed.

That's fair enough. We're in unprecedented times though, political science terms it 'rallying around the flag'. God willing one day soon shit will get back to some sort of normality, Brexit will stop poisoning our politics and we can see what happens then.

Right now, I don't care if he's 20 points behind or ahead, I want to see him and others building mechanisms and strategies for creating a unified, powerful political party which can engage the wider British electorate then try to win an election. 

On day one of a new Labour government he can hand over to Corbyn for all I care, or someone so left wing that Corbyn rolls his eyes at how left wing he is, I just want the tories gone, they're an existential threat, and anyone who contributes to stopping that happening is gonna piss me off, external or internal.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That's fair enough. We're in unprecedented times though, political science terms it 'rallying around the flag'. God willing one day soon shit will get back to some sort of normality, Brexit will stop poisoning our politics and we can see what happens then.

Right now, I don't care if he's 20 points behind or ahead, I want to see him and others building mechanisms for creating a unified, powerful political party and then trying to win an election. 

Especially when you could say we are in a trajectory to hit a massive fucking brick wall in say, 4 months. When it’s conceivable that the entire landscape will change. So why bother to waste any political capital and let them fuck themselves. 

The equivalent of Starmer moaning that the in flight movie has stopped playing as the plane is plummeting to the ground. 

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Right now, I don't care if he's 20 points behind or ahead, I want to see him and others building mechanisms and strategies for creating a unified, powerful political party which can engage the wider British electorate then try to win an election. 

On day one of a new Labour government he can hand over to Corbyn for all I care, or someone so left wing that Corbyn rolls his eyes at how left wing he is, I just want the tories gone, they're an existential threat, and anyone who contributes to stopping that happening is gonna piss me off, external or internal.

Yeah I know, i just find it a tad confusing and disheartening that the tories are polling over 40 per cent, especially as our covid response was awful and we are in the exam fiasco. 

I dont blame Starmer as such for writing in the mail etc every vote counts and all that, I just thought as he has had a more favorable press than our last leader he may have benefited from a new leader bounce, dosnt seem to have happened although he is closing and it's not essential at the moment.

Maybe it's the public, Stronts is probably right in people are happy with the government bail outs and as Clinton used to say 'it's the economy stupid' but as we are about to plunge into recession attitudes towards the government will change. Harold Wilson always said the British dont vote governments in they vote them out. So if our own Norman Tebbit is right in his post above about us hitting a brick wall the government could quickly come under pressure and with this mob it could turn ugly quickly, plus you can guarantee the tories will get the worst outcome possible for Britain with Europe over brexit. Then it will be the time for Starmer to show his hand, I just hope hes not too timid.

27 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

People who throw that around just don’t understand what it means to be a lefty

‘Oh, you think you’re a lefty do you? I’ve been on the internet all day reading things by really important people you’ve never heard of. The Facebook group I’m on ‘Ghandi was a facist’ had five hits today and we’re plotting the overthrow of Lancaster council because one of their members, probably, had a bad thought about something I started to strongly disagree with about an hour ago. I also read an ill thought out and entirely wrong analysis of poverty in Borneo. What you done, hey?’

‘Well I worked with the most disadvantaged in society to bring about change whilst engaging as much with my community as possible and helping out as much as time allows. I did guiltily, have an hour to my self where I caught up with the news. I help at election times and volunteer at a shelter once a fortnight’

’Pathetic! Call yourself a leftie? I called Owen Jones an antisemite, homophobe, trans hating Tory cunt on twitter earlier. You’re fucking pathetic and don’t deserve social justice. Fucking Tory’ 

• Upvote 2

This is concerning ‘But Starmer’s allies are relaxed. “A thousand people on Twitter are just a thousand people on Twitter,” said one shadow cabinet member. “We know that from 2019.”’

From here https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/21/keir-starmer-plays-long-game-to-show-boris-johnson-is-incompetent

If anything we’ve seen how powerful those 1000 can be, given oxygen, over the past few years.

Choppy waters ahead?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-channel-crossings-labour-revolt-refugees-migrants-a9682061.html

Channel crossings: Keir Starmer faces Labour revolt over stance on refugees

Allies of Labour leader say party must fight for migrants’ rights

Sir Keir Starmer is facing a revolt from his supporters over Labour’s stance on refugees, amid claims that the party is “turning a blind eye” to desperate people trying to make it to the UK across the Channel.

Labour members were angered after the front bench criticised the government’s “incompetence” in dealing with migrants arriving by dinghy, instead of defending their right to claim asylum in Britain – which is protected by the UN refugee convention.

Home secretary Priti Patel has said she could send in the royal navy to intercept the boats, after Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage accused a group of people arriving on a Kent beach of an “invasion”.

Open Labour, a soft-left grouping which welcomed Sir Keir as leader, and the Labour Campaign for Free Movement, which worked with him on Brexit, are among critics who say the party’s position on the issue is unacceptable.

An open letter with 300 signatures, including MPs Kate Osamor and Clive Lewis, calls on “the Labour leadership, our parliamentary representatives and our trade unions to join us in condemning the government, and campaigning for an immigration system that advances the rights of all working people – not divides us by the colour of our passports”.

A separate petition on the issue organised by left-wing group Momentum also calls on Sir Keir “to end his silence on the scapegoating of refugees and migrants” and has gathered about 4,000 signatures.

This is yet another thing where it's going to be almost impossible to unite the party. The liberal centrists in southern cities will have it as one of the biggest issues, people in working class towns will either not give a fuck or take a Katie Hopkins approach. 

Obviously it isn't as clear-cut as that, but you know what I mean. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

This is yet another thing where it's going to be almost impossible to unite the party. The liberal centrists in southern cities will have it as one of the biggest issues, people in working class towns will either not give a fuck or take a Katie Hopkins approach. 

Obviously it isn't as clear-cut as that, but you know what I mean. 

Yeah. I think a lot of people are currently more concerned with the state of their own lives and think that 'letting more people in' will fuck themselves over. I think both major parties need to do better to inform people of the difference between immigration and asylum. Still, that would go against the principle of sewing hatred and fear to win elections, so... unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Yeah. I think a lot of people are currently more concerned with the state of their own lives and think that 'letting more people in' will fuck themselves over. I think both major parties need to do better to inform people of the difference between immigration and asylum. Still, that would go against the principle of sewing hatred and fear to win elections, so... unlikely. 

Yes, I don't actually know if it would make sense electorally for Labour. I think getting in to power first, and then working on not having such a hateful population would be the better idea.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, I don't actually know if it would make sense electorally for Labour. I think getting in to power first, and then working on not having such a hateful population would be the better idea.

You're preaching to the choir there. Just sneak in, because democracy is fucked, and then do what you want. Sorry, I'm getting older. Fuck everything else. Get in power. Chance the country for the better. Then put up the troll meme in the window of number 10. I've had enough of this Tory shit. 

3 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

You're preaching to the choir there. Just sneak in, because democracy is fucked, and then do what you want. Sorry, I'm getting older. Fuck everything else. Get in power. Chance the country for the better. Then put up the troll meme in the window of number 10. I've had enough of this Tory shit. 

Yes, I wouldn't bother mentioning the gulags yet either.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Personally I think it should be a giant ninja warrior course across the channel. Its the only sensible solution.

It should be a one in, one out policy. Everytime someone is allowed into the country a Daily Mail reader should be deported. 

What incredible telly that would make, Barry and Barbara, retired hoteliers from the Isle of Sheppy, a heart attack on legs and a walking H Samuel catalogue, dropped at Tangiers Airport with 75 quid and a couple of malaria leaflets.

• Upvote 5