You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

22 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Our place just took out a decade long lease on two whole floors of offices in a city centre location, 6 months before this shit. Just awful timing.

There will be loads of this but also tonnes of premises under construction or with leases expiring. These negotiations will be interesting,  personally I think the owners are just going to have accept returns will be a fraction of what they had intended to have made. I was accidentally sent a spreadsheet that showed the rent one of my customers were paying for 1 floor of new office building in a reasonable location. The figures were insane, if everyone was paying that the construction costs would be paid back in 2 years and gravy after that.

Good news re treatment drugs - 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56024772

Arthritis drug tocilizumab cuts deaths from Covid

A drug normally used to treat arthritis can be a life-saver for some of the sickest hospital patients with Covid, new research shows.

For every 25 patients treated with tocilizumab, along with a cheap steroid already routinely given, an additional life would be saved, the experts say.

Some hospitals are now doing this.

As well as improving survival and recovery time, it can avoid patients needing to be moved to intensive care, say the NHS doctors.

Wendy Coleman, 62, received the treatment last year when she was admitted to Chesterfield Royal Hospital with severe Covid-19.

"I was struggling to breathe quite badly and on the verge of being placed in an intensive care unit.

"After I was given tocilizumab, my condition stabilised and I didn't get any worse. Up until then, it was quite scary as I didn't know if I was going to make it or not," she said.

Researchers say around half of people admitted to hospital with Covid could benefit from the treatment.

They have carried out a clinical trial with more than 4,000 volunteers, like Wendy, and say the results are "tremendous".

Half of these Covid patients were given tocilizumab, via a drip, alongside usual care with a life-saving cheap steroid drug called dexamethasone.

In that group, compared to another group that did not receive the new drug:

tocilizumab cut death risk - 596 (29%) of the patients in the tocilizumab group died within 28 days compared with 694 (33%) patients in the usual care group

and it reduced the chance of a patient needing to go on a ventilator or dying from 38% to 33%

Combined, tocilizumab and dexamethasone should cut death risk by about a third for patients on oxygen and halve it for those on a ventilator, the researchers say.

Prof Martin Landray, joint chief investigator of the RECOVERY trial and a medical expert at Oxford University, said: "Used in combination, the impact is substantial. This is good news for patients and good news for the health services that care for them in the UK and around the world."

Dr Charlotte Summers, an intensive care medic at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, said: "These findings are a tremendous step forwards. This therapy looks like it keeps people out of the intensive care unit so they never need to see people like me which can only be a good thing."

The treatment isn't cheap, costing around £500 per patient on top of the £5 course of dexamethasone. But the advantage of using it is clear - and less than the cost per day of an intensive care bed of around £2,000.

The drugs dampen down inflammation, which can go into overdrive in Covid patients and cause damage to the lungs and other organs.

The preliminary trial results will soon be submitted to a peer-reviewed medical journal.

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said: "We are working quickly and closely with colleagues across the health system and sector to ensure every NHS patient who needs this treatment should be able to access it - reducing further pressures on the NHS and potentially saving thousands of lives."

NHS national medical director Prof Stephen Powis said it was another breakthrough in the fight against coronavirus.

Oh, you're in trouble now shithead.

Scientists are working on a shot that could protect against Covid-19, its variants, certain seasonal colds — and the next coronavirus pandemic.

There will be more coronavirus outbreaks in the future. Bats and other mammals are rife with strains and species of this abundant family of viruses. Some of these pathogens will inevitably spill over the species barrier and cause new pandemics. It’s only a matter of time.

Dr. Modjarrad is one of many scientists who for years have been calling for a different kind of vaccine: one that could work against all coronaviruses. Those calls went largely ignored until Covid-19 demonstrated just how disastrous coronaviruses can be.

Now researchers are starting to develop prototypes of a so-called pancoronavirus vaccine, with some promising, if early, results from experiments on animals. Dr. Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego, thinks scientists should join together in another large-scale vaccine-creation project immediately.

“We have to get a real work force to accelerate this, so we can have it this year,” he said. Dr. Topol and Dennis Burton, a Scripps immunologist, called for this project on broad coronavirus vaccines on Monday in the journal Nature.

10 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Remember when the Mail, Times and Telegraph spent months last summer trying to get everyone back to the office (supposedly on the pretext that we needed to fund sandwich shops and coffee chains, and nothing to do with office landlords and sky high rents)? Well it looks like home working is here to stay. Interesting Twitter thread.

Genuinely can’t think of anything worse than working from home. Works for work, homes for home.

4 hours ago, Mudface said:

That'd be great- where I am now is pretty much a dormer village for Glasgow and Edinburgh. 15 years ago it had 3 thriving pubs and a few decent cafes and local shops. All the pubs have closed now, the last one went a few months before the pandemic. The shops have changed hands God knows how many times and the only one that's stayed in business is the ScotMid (Co-op) and that's only through people popping in to buy booze or stuff for tea.

If most people are going to be working from home permanently from now on, it'd be great to see local businesses re-establishing themselves, with people popping out for a pub lunch or the cafe, and having a look round a couple of local shops from time to time, then maybe deciding to go to the pub at night as well. There's certainly enough people here for them to be viable.

Linlithgow?

Got the worst headache I’ve ever had in my life, assuming off this vaccine. Haven’t been able to sleep a wink, feels like my brain is trying to burst out of my skull. I suffer badly from migraines as well and have to take medication for them daily but still never had anything like this. 

Arm feels like it’s been punched by Rocky as well. Obviously preferable to getting Covid like but fucking hell. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Got the worst headache I’ve ever had in my life, assuming off this vaccine. Haven’t been able to sleep a wink, feels like my brain is trying to burst out of my skull. I suffer badly from migraines as well and have to take medication for them daily but still never had anything like this. 

Arm feels like it’s been punched by Rocky as well. Obviously preferable to getting Covid like but fucking hell. 

Pfizer?