You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Draft idea for after the Season

Lee909

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

There’s too much of an advantage picking early on if the criteria is too strict. 

Someone should win based on ability rather than just luck. 

Not really mate because out of the top teams in Europe (Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, France, England) their are more than enough world class players to go around for the first lot of picks. Its how people would pick others from Portugal, Russia, Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, Croatia, Eire, Scotland, Norway, Poland, Czech, Austria, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine etc that will swing this. Even just typing that cemented how fucking boss that would be. 

The first pick in a draft with too many restrictions gets to make two picks at once as well once they’ve already picked the best player in the draft. 

Too many restrictions makes a draft more boring. Look at this draft, pretty good turn out and loads of debate once the teams have been picked. That’s because it’s more interesting discussing who is the better player out of Klinsmann or Romario than it is the merits of John O’Shea or Wes Brown. It’s depressing having to shoehorn a shit Norwegian or Swiss player into your side.

Start making it ridiculously hard and less people will play them because they haven’t got the time to be taking half an hour to work out every pick.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the order makes much difference myself.

For me, and I expect I'm in the minority here (and I understand why), the best thing about drafts is doing a bit of research and digging, trying to find forgotten gems, etc because it reminds you of players, matches, etc you've kind of forgotten about and I like the nostalgia of it. I like it when you have to find players who are a tier below the obvious world-class players and where these types of picks are the key to having a good team. That's why I liked that vowels one we did recently.

This European Championship draft that's being talked about doesn't do much for me at all, as the research essentially comes down to looking at six Wikipedia pages. 

There are no forgotten gems though. I found that out in all the early drafts, you think you’ve found someone and everyone else has got them on their list. They all look at the same squads as you.

I like the sound of your international caps based draft anyway. I think we should do that next.

6 hours ago, DimReaper said:

For me, and I expect I'm in the minority here (and I understand why), the best thing about drafts is doing a bit of research and digging, trying to find forgotten gems, etc because it reminds you of players, matches, etc you've kind of forgotten about and I like the nostalgia of it. I like it when you have to find players who are a tier below the obvious world-class players and where these types of picks are the key to having a good team.

Yeah this is what I enjoy too.

I found it really interesting reading about the 78 World Cup. That was the only one I almost didn't know anything about.

4 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Come on @MegadriveMan, everyone who takes part in the draft has a responsibility to vote too. 

All sorted now. I've not had much free time over the last few days.

I was really surprised how many people picked a GK early on in this draft as their were seemingly loads to choose from. I decided  I would pick an 82 GK as you had Zoff, Shilton, Clemence, Jennings available in this category. 

• Upvote 3

On 25/05/2019 at 18:36, MegadriveMan said:

All sorted now. I've not had much free time over the last few days.

I was really surprised how many people picked a GK early on in this draft as their were seemingly loads to choose from. I decided  I would pick an 82 GK as you had Zoff, Shilton, Clemence, Jennings available in this category. 

I went with Buffon fairly early as he gave me such variety for which year to pick him. 

7 hours ago, LF:D said:

Like the World Cup one we just did but only one player per team?

It doesn’t need to be so restrictive, you end up with dogshit being picked then. 

Part of the success of this draft draft was the quality of the sides. 

A Euros draft with only one pick per nation would be even more restrictive than a WC draft, and we had 2 per nation with that. 

Too easy is shit. 1 each from the following isn't as hard as you think Col:

England

Spain

France

Italy

Germany

Holland

Belgium

Sweden

Denmark

Norway

Croatia

Eire

Czech Republic

Romania

Bulgaria

Poland

Russia

Scotland

Turkey

Portugal 

Other sides have participated as well. 

It should be less restrictive this draft. As has been pointed out, some of the earlier tournaments only had four, then eight teams.

If we start from Euro 76 then only four teams played in that tournament and Euro 80, 84, 88 and 92 only had eight teams. It’ll be challenging enough as it is.

Just keep it the same as maximum two teams for this draft and the next one we do after that can be a budget or caps limit or whatever you come up with.

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd rather 1 per nation but not by tournament. Maybe put a 3 player limit on any given tournament. 

You should want to make it as easy as possible. Then maybe you won't finish last again.

All joking aside, you are the new FG.