Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 288 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

26 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Nah, I don’t agree with that really.

John Henry owned Tampa Bay before he swapped them out and bought the Red Sox.

It’s not like he’s a lifelong fan of the team or anything.  They’re in it for the investment with a dabble of feeling good about winning stuff in both sports.

Obviously the fans are unimportant in both scenarios other than as a means of revenue. 

i am pretty sure thought henry has talked about his love of baseball. i suspect his love of money is greater though as you say. however, i think including us in what they achieve in baseball is completely different - i am sure over there they will make some choices with their hearts and not the spreadsheet. i reckon all deals here are spreadsheet based. 

30 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Nah, I don’t agree with that really.

John Henry owned Tampa Bay before he swapped them out and bought the Red Sox.

It’s not like he’s a lifelong fan of the team or anything.  They’re in it for the investment with a dabble of feeling good about winning stuff in both sports.

Obviously the fans are unimportant in both scenarios other than as a means of revenue. 

Fair enough, assumed they gave a shit about baseball.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I'm not sure lumping in their baseball stuff with us tells a particularly truthful story.

I'm not an FSG hater by any means, but I think it would be accurate to say that the on field success of their baseball team is considerably more important to them than ours. Perfectly understandable really. It's their sport. Whenever they talk about football it seems like it's been put through google translate about seven times.

I can't really comment on what is more important to them, I don't know. But what I was saying was that as owners of sports teams they've been extremely successful (a lot more successful than the norm in a pretty short period of time) and that's no accident.

Despite it being two very different sports, in both cases, they've put the people in place and have used an approach that has allowed for this success. 

Lovren not going anywhere...the below is from bbc

Liverpool have called off transfer talks with Serie A side Roma over defender Dejan Lovren.

It comes after Roma indicated they were willing to make a €20m deal to sign the Croatia centre-back only to fail to make an official offer.

Instead, Roma are understood to have used intermediaries to attempt loan Lovren for a small fee.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Fair enough, assumed they gave a shit about baseball.

He is defo a big baseball fan -- that said before he was involved in MLB he had tried to buy an NBA team a couple of times. He then led the group that set up the Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL hockey). It wasn't until many years later that he bought the Florida Marlins (MLB)

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is defo a big baseball fan -- that said before he was involved in MLB he had tried to buy an NBA team a couple of times. He then led the group that set up the Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL hockey). It wasn't until many years later that he bought the Florida Marlins (MLB)

What a slag.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Lovren not going anywhere...the below is from bbc

Liverpool have called off transfer talks with Serie A side Roma over defender Dejan Lovren.

It comes after Roma indicated they were willing to make a €20m deal to sign the Croatia centre-back only to fail to make an official offer.

Instead, Roma are understood to have used intermediaries to attempt loan Lovren for a small fee.

Classic Serie A tactics, can we have him for a bag of sweets and a loan of a copy of the beano and we'll pay you a fiver in 10 years time?

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Have we ever got decent money from a Serie A team? Seems like we never learn. They're serial tyre kickers looking for a bargain.

They're funny I think. Tramps the lot of them. Even juve with all they spend still act like tramps. 

The window is not closed yet, so it might just be a tactic to get them to pay or smoke out Milan with a serious offer. 

Times must be hard in Italy in the 80s and 90s they would spunk tons of money on anyone that had half a decent season. Now they all act like people on Bargain Hunt or Cash in the Attic.

59 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Times must be hard in Italy in the 80s and 90s they would spunk tons of money on anyone that had half a decent season. Now they all act like people on Bargain Hunt or Cash in the Attic.

I prefer the Channel 5 versions Bargain? Cunt and Hash in the Attic.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

To be fair their economy is in a worse state than ours. 

24 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Coutinho going to Bayern on loan for a year. Good move for both.

Criminal we weren’t in for him.