You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cheese on toast

Sugar Ape

We usually do our toasties in the George Foreman, I don't really see why there has to be a competition:-

Cheese on toast - magic

Cheese toastie - lovely stuff

Toasted cheese sandwich - textbook

They're all good.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Nah, not for me. The bread is too crispy and the cheese is like lava.

So, here’s my actual opinion. 

Normal sliced white bread means a cheese toastie will be better. Fill it up with stuff, it doesn’t spill out, you get crispy cheese. It’s bog standard stuff. 

If if you want nice stuff, fuck the toaster machine off, Alice two slices of fresh bread and make a decent one in a pan or even better make a croque monsieur. 

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So, here’s my actual opinion. 

Normal sliced white bread means a cheese toastie will be better. Fill it up with stuff, it doesn’t spill out, you get crispy cheese. It’s bog standard stuff. 

If if you want nice stuff, fuck the toaster machine off, Alice two slices of fresh bread and make a decent one in a pan or even better make a croque monsieur. 

Who the fuck is Alice?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

Hold on there’s actual people out there buttering bread before they put the cheese on?  And these people, do they live past 40?

You sound like a fat bird in an office sipping their Diet Coke whilst they tackle their third cake of the day. 

I’ve got big slabs of Tiger bread and a gallon of extra mature cheese to go on top of it. A bit of butter ain’t making any difference apart from sexing up the taste.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

You sound like a fat bird in an office sipping their Diet Coke whilst they tackle their third cake of the day. 

I’ve got big slabs of Tiger bread and a gallon of extra mature cheese to go on top of it. A bit of butter ain’t making any difference apart from sexing up the taste.

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

Hold on there’s actual people out there buttering bread before they put the cheese on?  And these people, do they live past 40?

6 hours ago, Arthur Friedenreich said:

Go and get a wash yer scruffy bastard, of course cheese on toast has butter, the secret is not eating it morning, noon and night.

4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Is this really common practice? Who knew?

And this? We once ordered a cheese toastie from a cafe and once it was done the woman spread butter on the outside of it. That’s not right, is it?

15 minutes ago, Champ said:

And this? We once ordered a cheese toastie from a cafe and once it was done the woman spread butter on the outside of it. That’s not right, is it?

You spread some butter on the outside of the bread before putting it in the sandwich toaster, but not after. I don’t butter the inside though. It’s just too much drippy grease. The cheese produces plenty when it is melted anyway. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Champ said:

I'm guessing this happened in Scotland? The place that thinks you know what, let's deep fry a mars bar. Or a pizza. Or jam on the toothbrush, probably.

You can get frozen toaster friendly pizzas which seem to actually "cook" without get cheese and sauce on the toaster. I'm still puzzled how this works but tested it successfully myself. 

Naturally they are overpriced and should be done under trade descriptions act for being called pizza, but a miracle of engineering nonetheless. 

• Upvote 1