You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal(a) PL- Match Thread

LFC 6 Times

Just out of curiosity, why do you hate them so much? Out of the big clubs I find them the least offensive. Wenger is always respectful of us. Henry too. When they were at their very best, they were great to watch too.

Didn't Wenger completely dismiss the CL win, saying we didn't deserve it? Can't find the quote but sure he something like 'Maybe next year it will be won by Coventry or Millwall'

Which made it even more hilarious when they lost the final the next year.

Didn't Wenger completely dismiss the CL win, saying we didn't deserve it? Can't find the quote but sure he something like 'Maybe next year it will be won by Coventry or Millwall'

Which made it even more hilarious when they lost the final the next year.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-news-arsene-wenger-favourite-stadium-anfield-liverpool-epl-table-a7420521.html%3famp

"They are lucky to be in it because of the advantage this country has in having four qualifying places. Most countries have only three."

Wenger also backed the Football Association's decision to give the fourth Champions League place to the club finishing fourth in the Premiership.

"I feel the rules were clear at the beginning of the season so it was very difficult to change. You cannot knock Everton (who are currently fourth) out of it," he said.

"If Uefa are happy to give a fifth place to England, I'm happy to support it, but I don't know how they can change it.

o.gif
end_quote.gif Maybe we will have Coventry in next year's final end_quote.gif
Arsene Wenger

"You could argue that four places in the Champions League is already quite a big share - and that if you are good enough to win the Champions League, you should be in the top four of your country."

Wenger, whose side were knocked out by Bayern Munich in the last 16, believes the Champions League is no longer a guide to the best teams in Europe.

"The European Cup has been a complete cup competition - like Millwall reaching the FA Cup final - and maybe we will have Coventry in next year's final," he said.

• Upvote 1

"They are lucky to be in it because of the advantage this country has in having four qualifying places. Most countries have only three."

Wenger also backed the Football Association's decision to give the fourth Champions League place to the club finishing fourth in the Premiership.

"I feel the rules were clear at the beginning of the season so it was very difficult to change. You cannot knock Everton (who are currently fourth) out of it," he said.

"If Uefa are happy to give a fifth place to England, I'm happy to support it, but I don't know how they can change it.

o.gif

end_quote.gif Maybe we will have Coventry in next year's final end_quote.gif

Arsene Wenger

"You could argue that four places in the Champions League is already quite a big share - and that if you are good enough to win the Champions League, you should be in the top four of your country."

Wenger, whose side were knocked out by Bayern Munich in the last 16, believes the Champions League is no longer a guide to the best teams in Europe.

"The European Cup has been a complete cup competition - like Millwall reaching the FA Cup final - and maybe we will have Coventry in next year's final," he said.

Isn’t that re us qualifying for the following years a CL despite finishing 5th?

Isn’t that re us qualifying for the following years a CL despite finishing 5th?

We were the holders, it would have been a joke if we weren't allowed in to defend it, while a team who finished 34 points behind the league winners and had a negative goal difference went in instead.  There had already been a precedence set before where, I think, Real Madrid had been allowed to defend it despite finishing outside the CL places.

The FA bottled it because it was Everton, luckily UEFA had a word with Collina and it all worked out fine.

We were the holders, it would have been a joke if we weren't allowed in to defend it, while a team who finished 34 points behind the league winners and had a negative goal difference went in instead. There had already been a precedence set before where, I think, Real Madrid had been allowed to defend it despite finishing outside the CL places.

The FA bottled it because it was Everton, luckily UEFA had a word with Collina and it all worked out fine.

I think what Wenger was saying was that it shouldn’t be at Everton’s expense which is kind of fair enough.

• Upvote 1

Just out of curiosity, why do you hate them so much? Out of the big clubs I find them the least offensive. Wenger is always respectful of us. Henry too. When they were at their very best, they were great to watch too.

Got a mate who laughed the shit out of me in 89 and have never heard the end of it since. Needless to say he is as passioned about Arsenal than I am about us. I really have a deep disgust for them. 

These days it's also about Wengers purity brigade. I don't see any purity lately as they are basically longball merchants against any opposition that have quality. But I agree that he have played some beautiful football that I was in envy of. And that probably build the momentum of disgust, having to watch paint dry when we played under Houllier, and it just snowballed into loathing.

I like Arsene Wenger, I think he’s neat. But I did lose some respect for him when he said he didn’t care about away fans ticket prices, he only cared about Arsenal fans. This was during the excellent work by the twenties plenty guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've posted about this before but with Arsenal it's more about the fans than the club.

You're right - as a club, taken purely as a club, they're definitely the best of the other big 6 clubs. Play pretty football, legends like Henry who seem to have a soft spot for Liverpool, Wenger isn't nearly as toxic as the other top 6 managers, etc.

But it's their fans that spoil it. They are ... well, I can't think of a way to explain it other than to say that they are the worst. Just overall, the worst group of fans in football.

Everton fans are bitter but it's hilarious because they don't really matter. United fans hate us and our club but it's a rivalry so you can understand it on that level. Chelsea fans are the only ones who rival Arsenal fans, but it's easier to ignore because you just know that deep down they know their club is inferior and that's why they act that way.

Arsenal fans just have no reason to be the way that they are. Other than it must be soul-destroying on some level to follow a club that for a decade or so has always just on the edge of being really good, but never quite there.

But even if that's the reason for their souls being destroyed, it doesn't make it any easier to be around a group of people with no souls. They are the worst.

Looking forward to this. I'll be watching it in bed because I have contracted some horrific virus called "ManFluenza". Honestly, it would have killed a lesser man, but I don;t complain much. I've hardly mentioned it more than 6 or 7 times in the last half hour. I just soldier on.

Of course, it's so bad that I regularly have to phone downstairs to Mrs J, so she can come and prop my pillows up, or put another channel on the Telly for me.

I'll have my iPad with me, so I can post some incredibly insightful observations on the game.

• Upvote 8

Looking forward to this. I'll be watching it in bed because I have contracted some horrific virus called "ManFluenza". Honestly, it would have killed a lesser man, but I don;t complain much. I've hardly mentioned it more than 6 or 7 times in the last half hour. I just soldier on.

Of course, it's so bad that I regularly have to phone downstairs to Mrs J, so she can come and prop my pillows up, or put another channel on the Telly for me.

I'll have my iPad with me, so I can post some incredibly insightful observations on the game.

Not you as well. I'm a bag of shit. Felt rough for two days and still feel crap this morning. Can't keep anything down at all.