You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Las Vegas shooting

Rico1304

In Liverpool city centre? Yes. Liverpool City Council says 15 to 20 rough sleepers on its streets. The national total is about 4,000, which is less than 0.01% of the population.Always room for improvement, but I would say that a system which keeps 9,999 people out of every 10,000 off the streets isn't doing too badly.

There are more than 15/20 rough sleepers on Bold St and it's few surrounding streets. Massive issue. Big issue if you will.

Walked through Manchester before and saw about 20 homeless within about 100 yards, in stairwells of car parks, everywhere. I find it bizarre to pretend it's not a big problem and a growing one. Genuinely baffles me how people throw stats at people when they can see things with their own eyes.

Walked through Manchester before and saw about 20 homeless within about 100 yards, in stairwells of car parks, everywhere. I find it bizarre to pretend it's not a big problem and a growing one. Genuinely baffles me how people throw stats at people when they can see things with their own eyes.

The stats only count rough sleepers, they don't count people who spend the day begging then retire to their hostel/bedsit/semi in the suburbs for the night.

Come on, man.

Come on, you're not naive. All I'm saying is that not everyone on the streets during the day is on the streets during the night, which I don't think is a controversial statement.

I hope we can agree that the Daily Mirror isn't right wing propaganda?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fake-beggars-have-homes-pocket-9588720

Hundreds of beggars across Britain are only pretending to be homeless, a report has claimed,

“Prolific” vagrants who already have accommodation are said to be topping up their income by asking strangers for their spare change.

In recent years there has been a 70% spike nationally in prosecutions for begging.

But Freedom of Information figures in 2014 found that of 1,002 people arrested for begging, only 199 were legally defined as homeless.

In Middlesbrough, the council has identified nine main beggars in the town who it says are all entitled to benefits – while most are not homeless.

“Despite the public’s misconception that the street beggars are homeless, eight out the nine have accommodation,” reads a report by the authority.

“All are entitled to receive benefits including Housing Benefit and many have been assessed by the Department of Working Pensions (DWP).

“Their individual circumstances often mean they are receiving upwards of £2,000 a month in benefits but are still choosing to generate additional income by begging.”

The authority states the “majority” of these are hooked on heroin.

In total, there are thought to be around 11 beggars in the town at any one point – although it’s claimed there are fewer in the colder winter months.

The stats only count rough sleepers, they don't count people who spend the day begging then retire to their hostel/bedsit/semi in the suburbs for the night.

As it’s Anecdotal Evidence Day there was a well known beggar in Stockport who broke his leg that badly he had to have a ‘cage’ round it. He realised the cage increased his earnings so he refused to let the hospital remove it when his leg was sorted. The dog he also begged with was borrowed from a friend. At the end of the day he’d pack up his ‘hungry and homeless’ sign, jump in his car and drive back to his flat. Last week he misjudged the dose.

Edit: this crossed with Stronts post. There was also a group who decided to camp out rather than use the accommodation they’d been found by Wellspring (local homeless charity).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mate, am new where, but that line looks like a cut and pasted effort from the daily mail and the middle england mentality of "there is no poverty, its all a rouse by them socially willing layabouts and down trodden and poor lefties, who to pretend that they're in some form of trouble, when the FT index proves otherwise....

On the other hand, I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick of course. 

• Upvote 1

No, you haven't got the wrong end of the stick.  That's the callous reference I made earlier, Stronts. 

And your big mate Rico comes along to back you up.

Just rubbish the pair of you.

Just keeping you pinko commie fucks honest. Never let the facts get in the way of your circle jerking.

I’d also defend any of you if I saw people misrepresenting your views. Except Pistonbroke, that bloke is an Ubercunt.

• Upvote 1

Mate, am new where, but that line looks like a cut and pasted effort from the daily mail and the middle england mentality of "there is no poverty, its all a rouse by them socially willing layabouts and down trodden and poor lefties, who to pretend that they're in some form of trouble, when the FT index proves otherwise....

On the other hand, I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick of course.

By the way 2009 ain’t new.

Edit: or is it the wrong account?

The homeless number reported strikes me as very low. Setting a low number seems politically motivated to me, sort of like the unemployment figures when I was younger, when everyone knew Thatcher massaged the numbers.

There are obviously some bad apples who beg, make some cash in hand, and then go back to their home/hostel or whatever at night, but that doesn’t mean there is not a serious and sizeable problem.

The fact that the reported figures on homelessness have approximately doubled since the coalition is scandalous.

I haven’t lived in England for nearly a decade now, but the story I hear from friends and family members is that compassion is dwindling and far too many people are being overlooked.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

As it’s Anecdotal Evidence Day there was a well known beggar in Stockport who broke his leg that badly he had to have a ‘cage’ round it. He realised the cage increased his earnings so he refused to let the hospital remove it when his leg was sorted. The dog he also begged with was borrowed from a friend. At the end of the day he’d pack up his ‘hungry and homeless’ sign, jump in his car and drive back to his flat. Last week he misjudged the dose.

Edit: this crossed with Stronts post. There was also a group who decided to camp out rather than use the accommodation they’d been found by Wellspring (local homeless charity).

Cool story.

I've got a personal anecdote that ends in tragic suicide.

But I think your story is definitely worth telling.  It's more representative of the truth, I think.

Like those women that fake rape.  I like those stories, too.  We should tell more of them to counterbalance other views and keep pinkos honest.  Any stories for Anecdotal Evidence Day you know of?

• Upvote 2

Cool story.

But I think your story is definitely worth telling.  It's more representative of the truth, I think.

Like those women that fake rape.  I like those stories, too.  We should tell more of them to counterbalance other views and keep pinkos honest.  Any stories for Anecdotal Evidence Day you know of?

Ha ha this is what I love. No issue with a bloke who says ‘there’s more than that’ because it fits your view. Then more anecdotal shit. I throw in my anecdotal story and it makes me a RAPE apologist. Are you fucking crazy?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cool story.

You don't like anecdotal evidence, and yet when presented with actual statistics, like "fewer than 20% of people arrested for begging are actually homeless", you reject it as somehow callous (?)

Anyway, since it's anecdote time, I think it was about 2001 when I cottoned onto the scams that get pulled in Liverpool city centre. Real beggars definitely do not take delivery of a single dog-eared copy of the Big Issue from a guy with a black plastic bin bag, nor should they have a better mobile phone than I could afford at the time.

• Upvote 1