You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Michael

Baltar

You see, what I don't understand is why someone would go out of their way to piss on the memory of George Michael. He's not a socially or Politically divisive figure.

You know full well that when Stalin or Thatcher died that there would be people just itching to get on every conceivable outlet to either laud or scorn their life, impact, deeds and legacy. And rightly so. These people impacted on life beyond comprehension, they helped the few and fucked over the most, there will be people who would walk over nailed floors to tell the world what an impact these psychologically damaged people did to impact negatively upon their lives. You can understand, synpathise and empathise with that.

But this is George Michael.

A gay man, who, for a while lived a straight life to sell some records. You might think his music was shit, ok, but you can't, no matter hoiw jaundiced you are, dispute that he brought pleasure to billions of people and his legacy is nothing but good.

In his life and in his death he did good, he helped people, by his music and his action To actively seek out a tribute thread on a man who championed LGBT rights, who used his wealth for good, mostly anonymously, which is more than most will ever do, just because you thought he crafted a few love songs to knicker wetters, is something of a puzzling and pointless exercise and says alot about those concerned.

How can you argue that George Michael wasn't a pop 'superstar'? In the days where a Boxer makes one defence of a meaningless title and is called a legend, where some bellend dances nicely to a tune on the telly and everyone loves him/her...George Michael did more for mankind than most do in several lifetimes.

If you don't like him that much, find out where he's buried and piss on his grave if it means that much to you.

He was gay, so fucking what. He wrote songs about the human condition. So did Shakespeare.

Maybe it's just me, but I was always taught that if you had nothing good to say about those who had died, especially those who used their exalted position to do good, say nothing.

Isn't doing good for others and championing the rights of the oppressed and the underdog what we do on here?

• Upvote 15

Guest Pistonbroke

I just got back from town and heard about Debbie Reynolds being taken into hospital. Nothing to do with this thread I know, but bare with me. Now she was a superb actress in her day, sexy as fuck and she even dabbled in singing, which wasn't exactly brilliant. 

but she sang one song called "Tammy" which my dear mother loved. Yeah, I thought it was pretty insignificant at the time, but as I got older and my mother passed away it brings back fond memories and the fact someone I loved dearly liked it. 

I reckon those who like George Michael for what he brought them a bit of peace, ateotd he was an icon who has us all talking about him and his music will stand the test of time, probably for decades to come. 

I've been watching a lot of Only Fools over Christmas and in nearly every episode in there's a George Michael tune playing in the background. I've seen every episode about 100 times and never noticed but after him dying I've picked up on it more, I wasn't born till 86 so I wouldn't remember him in his heyday and have probably never realised how big he was in the 80s. To me and I'm guessing to most my age, he was just a gay man who got arrested a few times and sang that Christmas song among others.

But since his death I've read up on him a bit more and I've concluded that he was a rare breed among famous people that actually gave a shit about everyone else and didn't just do nice things to be seen to be nice, doing it anonymously is how you'd do it if you just wanted to do something nice for someone without the gratitude. The first time I remember thinking he must have an amazing man and laugh was when he was appeared on extras and literally ripped the piss out of himself for 5 minutes solid, he lived up to every cliche anyone's ever thrown at him and laugh with it.

I like a few of his more famous songs because they're basically the only ones I've ever heard but like some have said regardless of if you like his music or not he seemed like a genuine guy, a real nice, kind and generous guy who helped everyone he came up with, that Deal or no Deal story alone should tells me what a human he was and for the woman to have only found out after he died shows that he wasn't in it for himself but to use his wealth for good. How many other stories could be told about his generosity but for recipient to not even know. RIP.

• Upvote 1

I've been watching a lot of Only Fools over Christmas and in nearly every episode in there's a George Michael tune playing in the background. I've seen every episode about 100 times and never noticed but after him dying I've picked up on it more, I wasn't born till 86 so I wouldn't remember him in his heyday and have probably never realised how big he was in the 80s. To me and I'm guessing to most my age, he was just a gay man who got arrested a few times and sang that Christmas song among others.

But since his death I've read up on him a bit more and I've concluded that he was a rare breed among famous people that actually gave a shit about everyone else and didn't just do nice things to be seen to be nice, doing it anonymously is how you'd do it if you just wanted to do something nice for someone without the gratitude. The first time I remember thinking he must have an amazing man and laugh was when he was appeared on extras and literally ripped the piss out of himself for 5 minutes solid, he lived up to every cliche anyone's ever thrown at him and laugh with it.

I like a few of his more famous songs because they're basically the only ones I've ever heard but like some have said regardless of if you like his music or not he seemed like a genuine guy, a real nice, kind and generous guy who helped everyone he came up with, that Deal or no Deal story alone should tells me what a human he was and for the woman to have only found out after he died shows that he wasn't in it for himself but to use his wealth for good. How many other stories could be told about his generosity but for recipient to not even know. RIP.

What deal or no Deal story?
  • Upvote 1

What deal or no Deal story?

About that woman who said she was desperate to win £15k for IVF and lost so George Michael rang the producer and donated the £15k for her to have IVF. He told the producer not to tell her that it was him who donated, all this came out after his death and the woman seemingly found on twitter that it was George Michael who had donated it to her.

• Upvote 1

About that woman who said she was desperate to win £15k for IVF and lost so George Michael rang the producer and donated the £15k for her to have IVF. He told the producer not to tell her that it was him who donated, all this came out after his death and the woman seemingly found on twitter that it was George Michael who had donated it to her.

Imagine how spooky it would be if the kid born from IVF was named Michael or George or Michaela or Georgina?

Listen to his album Older, from start to finish. If you haven't, then you're missing out and you should have a listen and then pop back to the thread.

If you have, then you'll understand that he was a great artist.

Stop being cunts to win on the Internet.

This.

George obviously was a nice bloke and the stories that have come out since are amazing but how much did it really put him out? I mean earning millions a year. 15K is fuck all really.

It's not the fact of the amount it's the fact that he could be bothered enough to give someone the money just because he happened to be watching the show at the time and thought he could help someone who needed it.

Just like the £5k he gave the bar maid who was a student nurse struggling with debt. Again, the £5k would have been nothing to him but if more millionaire and billionaires acted with these sort of kind gestures the world would be a better place no?