You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul Stewart - abused by football coach

HolyHank

Makes his suicide even more upsetting for his family now.

They could well have known mate, at least his Mrs, and didn't want the publicity 

It was good to hear his name being chanted by all the fans at the Barcodes v Leeds game the other day, Great player and someone I would have loved to have seen in a Liverpool shirt, 

• Upvote 1

You can totally understand it not coming out from the victims until one breaks their silence, they were kids when it happened, the predator had the power to make or break their dreams if being a footballer in their eyes, never mind the threats that Stewart referenced.

There's absolutely no excuse for adults knowing about this shit and turning a blind eye though.

If you know it's halkening - fuck if you only suspect it - and you look the other way, how do you look yourself in the mirror after reading that.

Whether it's this in football, the BBC / yew tree stuff or the church.

Letting kids suffer at the hands of these cunts is just too much for me to consider.

Sickening, but not surprising. Paedos are always likely to target where large numbers of children are gathered.

Just have to hope that those committing the crime get caught.

It's not just the numbers of children, it's having power over them.  Commit horrible crimes and then tell them to keep quiet, because nobody will believe them and they will only lose their chance of making it in football/the church/entertainment.

Fucking awful.

We shouldn't just 'think twice' about hurling insults at footballers just because stuff like this happens - we should try to think twice about it towards anybody. We simply don't know the in's and out's of people's troubles - footballers, or homeless guy on the street.

Abusers are still out there, being more cunning than ever. Of course, so are the lynch mobs who put two and two together and get five.

I can sympathise with those who might think 'surely plenty knew what was happening' but at the same time, but at the same time, often parents, and closest friends don't even see signs of abuse because it's so well hidden. 

Operation Crewetree's well under way now, but I expect we'll see more arses covered than stones turned.

• Upvote 2

I think you are right unfortunately Fanchester. No club will want to be associated with any of this, so there will be cover ups aplenty. I think you'll get names brought up from the lower leagues but the big clubs will be lawyered up to fuck to protect their own reputations which in turn will protect any nonce cunts who have been part of their club.

Regardless of you being completely innocent in this abuse the fact it happened almost every day for 4 years must fill you with a hugely complex form of guilt. As if you somehow complied or failed to act. These cunts need putting in general population in the nick.

Yes. I suspect like many victims of stuff, you may well ask 'why me?' and come to a false conclusion that you must have been different, that somehow you contributed to it happening - after all, others got by ok. Even if you knew others also were abused, you could still think there was something about you all as a group that contributed to you being a victim - i.e. it was your fault.

Talk about messing up a young lad (or girl's) mind and inevitably changing your psyche forever.

Guest Pistonbroke

I hope those responsible for putting all these young lads through hell at the time get their comeuppance. It's fucking sickening what some excuses for human beings get up to and unfortunately it is always the vulnerable who pay for their cuntishness. 

As a father it is unpleasant to have to have this talk with your own children but I'd advise every parent to explain to them at a young age that they should never be ashamed of telling you anything about anyone who is hurting them in any way. 

Are other countries riddled with paedos like the UK is? Seems they're FUCKIN everywhere over here. They need to step that yewtree up cos that Cliff Richard is defo a nonce and turn over that Houses of Parliament - those CUNTS do what they want. Maybe one for the GF

You can totally understand it not coming out from the victims until one breaks their silence, they were kids when it happened, the predator had the power to make or break their dreams if being a footballer in their eyes, never mind the threats that Stewart referenced.

There's absolutely no excuse for adults knowing about this shit and turning a blind eye though.

If you know it's halkening - fuck if you only suspect it - and you look the other way, how do you look yourself in the mirror after reading that.

Whether it's this in football, the BBC / yew tree stuff or the church.

Letting kids suffer at the hands of these cunts is just too much for me to consider.

It can happen anywhere, Bob, and as Pistonbroke, I think it was said, as parents and carers it is our job to let our own kids know that if anyone does anything that frightens or hurts them they can come to us and we will listen and help them

It can happen anywhere, Bob, and as Pistonbroke, I think it was said, as parents and carers it is our job to let our own kids know that if anyone does anything that frightens or hurts them they can come to us and we will listen and help them

Absolutely, and that post made me think.

My daughter came into my bed this morning when she woke up (she's 4) and we were having a cuddle and chatting and messing about, and I thought about that post, needing one day to tell her how shitty this world can be, and then thinking some kids younger than her have already had their lives ruined, and all you want is for them to have their childhood innocence and happiness.

Right now, she's too young for that chat. She's rarely out of our sight other than st nursery and there's not a single thing she doesn't tell us about what she does each day.

But next year she'll start school, and there's a reasonable chance that becomes the time.

She'll also be growing up apart from me for a lot of the time, without me being able to know or influence quite who is in her life, and so the mind inevitably wonders.

Guest Pistonbroke

Absolutely, and that post made me think.

My daughter came into my bed this morning when she woke up (she's 4) and we were having a cuddle and chatting and messing about, and I thought about that post, needing one day to tell her how shitty this world can be, and then thinking some kids younger than her have already had their lives ruined, and all you want is for them to have their childhood innocence and happiness.

Right now, she's too young for that chat. She's rarely out of our sight other than st nursery and there's not a single thing she doesn't tell us about what she does each day.

But next year she'll start school, and there's a reasonable chance that becomes the time.

She'll also be growing up apart from me for a lot of the time, without me being able to know or influence quite who is in her life, and so the mind inevitably wonders.

Our children were all about 6 years old when we had the chat. Some children mature quicker than others and as a parent it is easy enough to decide, if at all, to start teaching/telling them about the big wide World and the fact there are some nasty cunts in it. As you have already said, at a very young age you tend not to let them out of your sight.