You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - 3pm, 19/11/16 - Feasting on Solent Green.

Trumo

Predictable and disappointing, but at the very least we had a clean sheet.

That said, we're still top of the league!

Sturridge brings nothing these days, don't really see the point in bringing him on.

I'm not really Sturridges biggest fan but he would have buried Firminos chance with his eyes closed and with both legs amputated

Guest Pistonbroke

Oh yeah - how brilliant is Matip? What a defender.

Excellent again today, so composed on the ball and reads the game very well. Firmino, barring his bad miss was also very good today. most other players had a good game but the two mentioned stood out for myself. 

Predictable and disappointing, but at the very least we had a clean sheet.

That said, we're still top of the league!

Sturridge brings nothing these days, don't really see the point in bringing him on.

To be fair I dont think the lad's going to do much in 12 minutes to change the game is he?

Not a disaster at all; I've a feeling we could have nicked it had we sent on Sturridge quicker. We lacked our usual slick movement and the conditions weren't ideal. We go again.

I agree with this, and it's pretty much the only quibble I have with Klopp's decisions so far.

I have no issue with using Sturridge as a super-sub, I think it's a great way to ensure he stays fit the whole season and he's really deadly off the bench.  I just wish he was coming in on 60 or 65 minutes rather than 75 or 80 every game.  Give him 30 minutes off the bench consistently and he'll get us a decent number of goals by the end of the season, important ones, too.

• Upvote 2

Excellent again today, so composed on the ball and reads the game very well. Firmino, barring his bad miss was also very good today. most other players had a good game but the two mentioned stood out for myself.

He's been great against any and every kind of attacker. As you say, a joy to watch on the ball too. Hardly surprising that he didn't feature in our only league loss this season.

Game management with using subs in a timely manner is lacking. Today was a perfect example - two quality strikers on the bench, one gets about 10 mins while the other gets about 10 seconds! Meanwhile, our boys from Brazil are dead on their feet, especially Coutinho.

(I'm sure by later on I'll reflect on this being a decent point away from home, and unlucky not to claim all three... but overwhelming feeling so close after the final whistle is of an opportunity lost).

You're not going to win every away game. And, normally, a point there is not a terrible result.

But....

We probably did enough to win. Some wasted chances and some great defending by Fonte and VVD kept us out. Thought we looked a bit too slow and cumbersome on the ball at times. Too many passes for passing sake.

That it feels like a bit of a downer and 2 points dropped shows that we've progressed massively under Klopp.

I've seen a few people chucking toys out the pram on social media. Not for me. We've got to be realistic and accept that there'll be games like this. If we carry on picking up away points, not necessarily always 3, and winning our home games, we'll be right where we want to be in May.

A slight bump in the road, but on to Sunderland now.....

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

He's been great against any and every kind of attacker. As you say, a joy to watch on the ball too. Hardly surprising that he didn't feature in our only league loss this season.

A lot of top clubs must be pretty miffed that we got him for nothing. As Mr Diablo (for ages) and a few others of late have rightly said, Matip and van Dijk would make a very good CB pairing. 

Exactly. Game management with using subs in a timely manner is lacking. Today was a perfect example - two quality strikers on the bench, one gets about 10 mins while the other gets about 10 seconds! Meanwhile, our boys from Brazil are dead not heir feet, especially Coutinho.

(I'm sure by later on I'll reflect on this being a decent point away from home, and unlucky not to claim all three... but overwhelming feeling so close after the final whistle is of an opportunity lost).

I would have agreed with you at half-time on Coutinho, but he really came to life in the second half. I thought Klopp was right not to make any changes, we created several clear cut chances and should have won comfortably.

What Klopp is lacking is a like-for-like replacement for one of the front three. Sturridge and Origi are more traditional strikers. We can't replace any of the three without changing the successful way we play.

Guest Pistonbroke

I would have agreed with you at half-time on Coutinho, but he really came to life in the second half. I thought Klopp was right not to make any changes, we created several clear cut chances and should have won comfortably.

What Klopp is lacking is a like-for-like replacement for one of the front three. Sturridge and Origi are more traditional strikers. We can't replace any of the three without changing the successful way we play.

Spot on, we always look disjointed when either Sturridge plays and even more so with Origi. I'm a bit surprised that Grujic is not used more but Klopp knows best. If you look at our bench today we had nobody else in an attacking sense who could have come on meaning we kept our shape and players in their best/favoured positions.