You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

That's an absolutely ridiculous statement. People support Corbyn because he represents them and their views. It's not even comparable to what you're attempting to compare it to either.

And his problem is that not enough people share his views outside the party. Which is no surprise really.

• Upvote 1

That's an absolutely ridiculous statement. People support Corbyn because he represents them and their views. It's not even comparable to what you're attempting to compare it to either.

No, it's not. And I think it's perfectly comparable. I joined the Labour Party after the last general election before I even knew who would be on the ballot paper. I'd never even heard of Corbyn. It's crystal clear a lot ( not all) of Corbyn supporters joined solely to vote for him and not because they had any affinity to the party.

You're free to support Corbyn but if MPs elected by their constituents can force a vote on him ( and I'm not sure how that works ) then they have that right. If a coup was raised against Blair would people have been against that?

I know that's a bit flippant but it raises an interesting point. Since AOT brought Rafa up, one of the criticisms aimed at Rafa supporters ( not that I'm saying it's true ) was that they cared more about the man than the club.

How many Corbyn supporters on here care about the Labour Party more than Corbyn? Not many I suspect.

I sumply want the labour party to represent the true meaning of the party. Not some centre right party trying to steal torie votes to get in and only make little changes but keep there friends in the city happy. Its a shame Corbyn doesn't seem to be able to grab people attention but that a issue with a way polotics has gone since that twat Blair was in charge. Fake smiles,shiny suites and press loving PR snippets.

I dont give a shit if the PM is the most boring man in the world,wearing a C&A suite straight off the rack if his policies are good and ge gets on with the job

People calling for Corbyn to go need to realise that Labour will lose a load of support the moment it happens.

Like virtually everything else in the current political landscape, I think that is far from certain. We are in completely uncharted and stormy waters and all political boats are subject to the most unpredictable forces we've seen outside wartime.

The party should abandon its principles for votes? What is the fucking point?!

No, it should compromise on some of it's principles to get into power as every political party that's ever been elected has had to do. You need to find a way to connect with Labour voters and not just party members. It's the former that gets you elected not the latter.

Like virtually everything else in the current political landscape, I think that is far from certain. We are in completely uncharted and stormy waters and all political boats are subject to the most unpredictable forces we've seen outside wartime.

If he goes there will be a drop in membership but a surge in overall voters is my prediction. That's a trade off that's going to have to be made in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

The party should abandon its principles for votes? What is the fucking point?!

The fucking point of any party is to win elections. Scotland is lost in the forseeable future with the SNP revitalised due to the brexit vote. So the choice is simple really: Either you start winning some seats in the south with a more moderate program or you give away the control of the country to the Tories for the next decade as well. 

This isn't really difficult. I'd much prefer Hilary Clinton to Donald Trump, even though I despise the crooked cunt. And I'd much rather have a Labour led by Gordon Brown or Tony Blair in charge of the country ahead of Boris fucking Johnson.

• Upvote 1

Not many? They elected him BECAUSE the Labour Party had abandoned the people it was originally formed to represent.

The PLP continually want to move to the centre right ground the Tories already occupy. They want to rid themselves of Union support. They bang on about middle England and the Daily Mail vote. To a man/woman Corbyn's challengers in the leadership election were aping Osborne’s austerity is the only way line. While Corbyn was publishing policy documents and saying what he stood for (including offering PQE as a viable alternative to austerity), the others couldn't answer straight questions about what they stood for, abstaining against welfare cuts, and Liz Kendall was making shite like this.

But let's go back to the formula that handed two elections to the Tories, minus a Scottish vote that ain't coming back and boundary changes that will see Labour lose seats,

• Upvote 1

No, it's not. And I think it's perfectly comparable. I joined the Labour Party after the last general election before I even knew who would be on the ballot paper. I'd never even heard of Corbyn. It's crystal clear a lot ( not all) of Corbyn supporters joined solely to vote for him and not because they had any affinity to the party.

You're free to support Corbyn but if MPs elected by their constituents can force a vote on him ( and I'm not sure how that works ) then they have that right. If a coup was raised against Blair would people have been against that?

I also joined after the last GE and i'd also never heard of him. Then I researched all of the leadership candidates and his views and ideas closely represented mine, hence why I support him.

If there is another viable option with the same ideas who is capable of uniting the party then i'll pack his bags for him.

No-one has suggested an alternative, other than to back a Blairite and therefore abandon their principles (assuming they have any in the first place).

I sumply want the labour party to represent the true meaning of the party. Not some centre right party trying to steal torie votes to get in and only make little changes but keep there friends in the city happy. Its a shame Corbyn doesn't seem to be able to grab people attention but that a issue with a way polotics has gone since that twat Blair was in charge. Fake smiles,shiny suites and press loving PR snippets.

I dont give a shit if the PM is the most boring man in the world,wearing a C&A suite straight off the rack if his policies are good and ge gets on with the job

Agreed. If there is someone like Clive Lewis who can make a decent stab at it then I'll vote for him. I've not seen enough of him yet to decide. If not then I'll take someone as long as they can challenge the Tories and stop Johnson becoming PM.

I'd like * someone * to replace him and announce, like the Lib Dems, that if they are voted for at the next election then they will keep us in the EU. That would guarantee a mass of votes straight away.

I also joined after the last GE and i'd also never heard of him. Then I researched all of the leadership candidates and his views and ideas closely represented mine, hence why I support him.

If there is another viable option with the same ideas who is capable of uniting the party then i'll pack his bags for him.

No-one has suggested an alternative, other than to back a Blairite and therefore abandon their principles (assuming they have any in the first place).

I have. There are young left wingers like Clive Lewis. They're very green but maybe they could do it. I'd take Jarvis. He's not as left wing as I want but he could be very effective against the Tories. Be a bit harder for the press to attack a former soldier. I'd like to look and hear more from Keir Starmer if there is another leadership election I'd get the chance to read their prospectus and listen to what they have to say.

If he goes there will be a drop in membership but a surge in overall voters is my prediction. That's a trade off that's going to have to be made in my opinion.

As things stand right now I think we've still got all the problems we had before the referendum but now with a political class that has been left completely disorientated on all sides by the outcome. I wouldn't be surprised if either of the two big parties split or new ones emerged and that makes predicting how the electorate will respond almost impossible - especially as it's far from clear that the electorate even knows what it wants itself.

I like Lewis but I think he'll pass as he's still young and inexperienced. Jarvis is a Blairite who is vice chair of Progress who have worked from day one against their own party. Absolutely no chance of keeping it together.

If Starmer proved more middle ground he might have a chance of keeping bit together.

Otherwise I think it's going to break as I'll resign my membership and never vote for them again if the Blairites win out.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

She's quite possibly the most inept politician I've ever seen.

I had a massive argument with that bitch about racism. She has absolutely no concept of anything she talks about. Absolute cunt of a woman.

As for Corbyn. It's time.

As things stand right now I think we've still got all the problems we had before the referendum but now with a political class that has been left completely disorientated on all sides by the outcome. I wouldn't be surprised if either of the two big parties split or new ones emerged and that makes predicting how the electorate will respond almost impossible - especially as it's far from clear that the electorate even knows what it wants itself.

I agree with this. The divisions in the two main parties are significant.

I think it would be healthy for the country to see some new parties form, it would certainly be healthy for Labour.

I had a massive argument with that bitch about racism. She has absolutely no concept of anything she talks about. Absolute cunt of a woman.

As for Corbyn. It's time.

Sounds like an interesting story to share... Or PM me. She's said racist things before though as well. Imagine her as shadow foreign secretary? Fucking hell.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Sounds like an interesting story to share... Or PM me. She's said racist things before though as well. Imagine her as shadow foreign secretary? Fucking hell.

It wasn't all that interesting. It was just me - who is less abrasive in 'real' life - being quite snarky and putting the idiot back in her box. She's fucking clueless.

I like Lewis but I think he'll pass as he's still young and inexperienced. Jarvis is a Blairite who is vice chair of Progress who have worked from day one against their own party. Absolutely no chance of keeping it together.

If Starmer proved more middle ground he might have a chance of keeping bit together.

Otherwise I think it's going to break as I'll resign my membership and never vote for them again if the Blairites win out.

I fully expect to lose some members but I think it'll gain a lot more voters so it has to be done, for me. Conversely, if he's still leader after this plays out then I'd consider Jibbing my membership off and moving to the moon.

• Upvote 1