You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Mate on a human level we don't know him.

That doesn’t stop people making pronouncements on every aspect of his personality. The post directly above yours being a case in point. It really doesn’t matter how much money he makes, or if he fucking posts on Instagram, or if he styles his hair in a way that people think is “gay” or whatever. He still feels anguish and despair like any other person. He didnt make those mistakes on purpose, but he let down millions of fans, his team mates, his coach, his family, himself. You’d have to be a complete fucking sociopath for that to not have any effect on your life.

We’ve got a top goalkeeper now, the least we can do is show some class towards a young man who tried but ultimately came up short on the biggest of stages. He was still an important part of the side that got us there, he deserves respect just for that.

That doesn’t stop people making pronouncements on every aspect of his personality. The post directly above yours being a case in point. It really doesn’t matter how much money he makes, or if he fucking posts on Instagram, or if he styles his hair in a way that people think is “gay” or whatever. He still feels anguish and despair like any other person. He didnt make those mistakes on purpose, but he let down millions of fans, his team mates, his coach, his family, himself. You’d have to be a complete fucking sociopath for that to not have any effect on your life.

We’ve got a top goalkeeper now, the least we can do is show some class towards a young man who tried but ultimately came up short on the biggest of stages. He was still an important part of the side that got us there, he deserves respect just for that.

You've gone full identity politics moof. The left was always first and foremost about economic class, come back to reason and stop reading screeching harpies on Twitter.
  • Upvote 1

It’s all relative, isn’t it. He’s still a young lad who’s completely fucked his career in the most humiliating, public way I’ve practically ever seen and has been ruthlessly replaced. (In the best way ever)

Hope he sits on the bench for a year, regains his confidence and then joins a reasonable European tier team, because he’s still a talented keeper capable of playing at a high level.

I don’t think he has ducked his career to be honest. He made some mistakes, but so what. Players have done much worse and moved on. He’ll be fine. I’m sure he’s going through a tough time, but that’ll be part of his development as a person. I dunno, I don’t love the Instagram bollocks, but regarding the errors, I’m not even angry at him. He did t do it on purpose, just made a couple of very bad mistakes.

I don’t think he has ducked his career to be honest. He made some mistakes, but so what. Players have done much worse and moved on. He’ll be fine. I’m sure he’s going through a tough time, but that’ll be part of his development as a person. I dunno, I don’t love the Instagram bollocks, but regarding the errors, I’m not even angry at him. He did t do it on purpose, just made a couple of very bad mistakes.

Have they? I agree that he can still have a reasonable career from here, but I'm honestly struggling to think of anyone who's made such major mistakes on the biggest platform like him.

Who, in your opinion (not being facetious here, I'm curious), has done worse and moved on?

Have they? I agree that he can still have a reasonable career from here, but I'm honestly struggling to think of anyone who's made such major mistakes on the biggest platform like him.

Who, in your opinion (not being facetious here, I'm curious), has done worse and moved on?

Cantona and Suarez both made bigger career fuck ups, got banned and all was forgotten and moved on. Oliver Khan in the WC final.

My point is, shit happens, people move on.

Cantona and Suarez both made bigger career fuck ups, got banned and all was forgotten and moved on. Oliver Khan in the WC final.

You could take a dump in the center circle and chuck it at the ref and move on if you are not shit. He is shit.

• Upvote 2

I mean they are three legends of the game, everyone knows who they are, it's not surprising they had the ability to move on after big mistakes.

In 20 years nobody is going to remember Karius for anything but that Final. He'll be featured in some shite channel 4 top 50 bizarre goalkeeping moments.

We'll have Karius putting a goal kick out for a corner, and him throwing the ball at Benzema in the final, and sandwiched between them we'll see Pepe Reinas beachball.

Double-edged sword, isn’t it.

In the olden-ish days a young keeper making such a punishing abortion of their big chance would presumably end up part-timing in the sort of places Hodgson made his name. He’d be working in a supermarket the rest of the week to pay his bills, but safe from worldwide mockery save for the odd obscure pub quiz question.

Nowadays, sure, you will be getting the piss taken out of you for the rest of your life and a search of your own name on social media will provide days worth of content as indignifying as it is inventive, but you can do so from a private jet bought with your first contract at a big club.

Swings and roundabouts, really.

• Upvote 2

Double-edged sword, isn’t it.

In the olden-ish days a young keeper making such a punishing abortion of their big chance would presumably end up part-timing in the sort of places Hodgson made his name. He’d be working in a supermarket the rest of the week to pay his bills, but safe from worldwide mockery save for the odd obscure pub quiz question.

Nowadays, sure, you will be getting the piss taken out of you for the rest of your life and a search of your own name on social media will provide days worth of content as indignifying as it is inventive, but you can do so from a private jet bought with your first contract at a big club.

Swings and roundabouts, really.

Money doesn't automatically make someone happy though. 

Money doesn't automatically make someone happy though.

Of course it doesn’t mate. Never suggested otherwise. Merely saying this era brings different positives and negatives to previous ones in regards to the consequences of such a disastrous career nosedive.

It’s as mental that someone can be a relative novice in the professional game and not just wealthy now but unimaginably wealthy for life no matter what comes next, as it is that this can have taken off in the way it has.

Sign of the times in both respects.

• Upvote 1

Karius makes a million pounds a year -- it is a 3 year deal. His tax rate must be enormous.

Not sure he could even retire off this contract much less be unimaginably wealthy for life.

I have low interest in quibbling the finer points of footballers' exact wages, but in an era when children can be paid £50K a week, I struggle to believe Liverpool have first team players on less than half.  Plus we signed him 2 years ago, so it would have been a 5 year deal. 

In the unlikely event that wage figure is accurate and not heavily supplemented by numerous bonuses, 5 million pounds in basic wages over 5 years is already unimaginably wealthy to me, and anyone playing football at his age outside of the past 20 years. 

• Upvote 1

I'm interested to know what number he is going to put after his LK badge and whether he will then change it on his car. LK37 for example has the potential to be the beginning of a registration plate rather than a supposedly trendy badge so I can see him getting a personal plate to soften the blow.

I agree.   He's largely history now so sticking the boot in is stupid, 

Hope he gets a good move away and has a career, 

• Upvote 1