You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've just walked out.

lifetime fan

It's been coming a while and I wish I could neg myself for not killing someone or going out in style but I just said I shouldn't be in work and walked. 

I love my job, the people I work with are amazing but the staff are pricks, they're not even that bad to be fair to them, I just don't like them and my tolerance levels are gone. I'm able to alter my output levels to the what's necessary but recently I've become lazy as fuck and whilst I'd always give 100% for the people I support I've let paperwork and other stuff get way behind. I just hate work and it's an enormous effort to get up in the morning to go.

I don't know if I should fuck it all off or just have a week off and see where I am, I just know I can't be in work at the moment and regardless of not being paid I can't be there. I'm seeing the quack tomorrow to get signed off for a week but if I could afford it I'd take a month off.

• Upvote 9

Do you not get sick pay Col? The doc can sign you off for a month with work related stress.

I know it's a personal question but do you think it could be tied in to the awful things you've been through? Anxiety can creep up on you, I've had some nasty recent experience with that myself.

• Upvote 2

It's been coming a while and I wish I could neg myself for not killing someone or going out in style but I just said I shouldn't be in work and walked. 

I love my job, the people I work with are amazing but the staff are pricks, they're not even that bad to be fair to them, I just don't like them and my tolerance levels are gone. I'm able to alter my output levels to the what's necessary but recently I've become lazy as fuck and whilst I'd always give 100% for the people I support I've let paperwork and other stuff get way behind. I just hate work and it's an enormous effort to get up in the morning to go.

I don't know if I should fuck it all off or just have a week off and see where I am, I just know I can't be in work at the moment and regardless of not being paid I can't be there. I'm seeing the quack tomorrow to get signed off for a week but if I could afford it I'd take a month off.

don't do anything hasty Col.  You have options; just examine them all before making a decision.  

• Upvote 1

Ring your manager, tell them you're going home and seeing the doctor tomorrow. Get a sick note for a week and see where your head is at then. Don't do anything rash. You need to make sure you're controlling the situation, not the other way round, or you will end up regretting it.

You've faced massive amounts of shit and upheaval this year. A week off to get your head together will do you good. Take care of yourself x

• Upvote 3

Can only echo what others have said

Take the week off and if you need more go back the doctors and get it.

No point in making any decisions while you are not with it you only end up regretting them. Take the time off sleep or do whatever you need to get relaxed and things will work themselves out

Do you not get sick pay Col? The doc can sign you off for a month with work related stress.

I know it's a personal question but do you think it could be tied in to the awful things you've been through? Anxiety can creep up on you, I've had some nasty recent experience with that myself.

I used up all my sick pay taking time off to look after Carly.

I'm sure that's part of it, as great as things are at the moment with the new bird it was our wedding anniversary, it's christmas coming up which I hate at the best of times and I just don't want to work.

Ring your manager, tell them you're going home and seeing the doctor tomorrow. Get a sick note for a week and see where your head is at then. Don't do anything rash. You need to make sure you're controlling the situation, not the other way round, or you will end up regretting it.

You've faced massive amounts of shit and upheaval this year. A week off to get your head together will do you good. Take care of yourself x

It was her I told I was going.

I actually wanted to tell her she's a fat incompetent cunt but I didn't even do that.

• Upvote 2

Someone I know was diagnosed with burnout recently, and what you describe sounds awfully similar. Depending on your specific case/situation of course, you could even get a few months off (like three or four).

I've just been off longterm myself. Delayed stress leading to buildup of adrenalin, it was/is horrific, I wouldn't wish it on anyone and will never let myself get that rundown again. Anxiety is a scary, scary thing, you think it's all in your head and realise it's actually chemical caused by the body and mind feeling under attack. It causes a 'flight or fight' response. No idea if this is what's going on with Col, but certainly walking out falls under 'flight'.

• Upvote 2

I actually wanted to tell her she's a fat incompetent cunt but I didn't even do that.

And that was the right thing, however disappointed you might feel for missing the chance to have a proper flounce. Its time for you to let others look after you for a bit

Good lad. Never burn your bridges. Even if you never go back you'll want a reference and nobody wants to be pegged as 'the abusive mentalist'.

Take it from me, I was forced by work to go off sick once when I exploded in the office and beat the crap out of the photocopier. Fucker jammed one time too many.

• Upvote 6

Based on what you've said here, it's not your job you love, it's the pride and satisfaction you get from helping other people who need it.

Good lad. Never burn your bridges. Even if you never go back you'll want a reference and nobody wants to be pegged as 'the abusive mentalist'.

Take it from me, I was forced by work to go off sick once when I exploded in the office and beat the crap out of the photocopier. Fucker jammed one time too many.

You did remember to remove the ream of paper from its packaging before loading it didn't you? I only ask because we have a spanner in our office building who keeps forgetting that.

• Upvote 1

Mate I'm so close to doing that it's untrue, you literally described my situation at work word for word - I also don't get sick pay either (cunts) so getting signed off with stress, while probably exactly what is needed, would just hit me in the pocket massively so I can't.

As others have said though, don't be hasty. Try and work on an "exit-strategy". Get some irons in the fire at least and work out what you'll need to do financially. 

Just looking n from what I read on here. Not being a prick at all but you have been disillusioned about the place for a while now. Probablt for thr best to get out now but take sick leave, God knows you deseve it and find something in a similar field. As Trumo says it's obvious how much of a kick you grt out of the work. Just a suggestion, take a brief holiday but on your own. You have been through a lot, get your head right before deciding on a future.

• Upvote 2

Not being funny here mate but have you really had time to grieve since the loss of Carly? I have no medical training at all but reading on here it seems you may have thrown yourself into work and maybe even another relationship? as a coping mechanism but your body and mind are telling you that its on the verge of breaking down.

Maybe some counselling could help?

• Upvote 4

Sorry if this comes across a tad patronising. I know Vlad's advice is with the best of intentions, but things are often more complex. Sometimes pain is so unbearable, you can't confront it. Even if that means going a bit crazy for a time, you do whatever it takes to get you through. Now isn't always the right time for counselling. Sometimes it has to wait until you're feeling strong enough to deal with it. Just do what's right for you.