You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Moreno

WhiskeyJar

Sorry, we definitely need a better left back than him. His only saving grace is he's quick. But, what's the point of that when he cant defend, gets caught out of position too often and is no good in the final third of the pitch.

He may get into good positions but his crosses are shite and his shots worse.

If he has any future here he needs to learn to defend and quickly at the very least.

Deffo need an upgrade in the summer in my opinion. Maybe sevilla will take him back after we've beaten them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His mistakes are highlighted and his plus points are sometimes overlooked. Sometimes you get this. He's very one footed and prone to lapses in concentration, but on the other hand he overlaps and gives width, joins the attack all day long, has fantastic pace and stamina, and uses that to get back and get some good tackles in.

I actually like the player. We can get more of a solid citizen who won't do the brainless stuff to the same degree, but neither will he, in all likelihood, offer the same pace, width, stamina and attacking outlet.

Probably the most complete left back at the moment is Rodriguez at Wolfsburg. If he was available I'd make the switch, but it would be a lot of money, and I don't see a long list of left backs who will give us what Moreno gives us, plus added defensive solidity.

For me it's about priorities at the moment, and we need to improve the spine of the team and add a winger first. I'd keep Moreno as first choice next season and see how he goes. It would not be unusual to see him cut some of the mistakes out as he matures.

Your points are valid, but keep in mind he cost us the game away at Villareal. Also he could've cost us yesterday, by giving the ref the opportunity to award a penalty. I don't think it was a penalty, but that slight push in the back was a very very stupid thing to do. And that's his main problem, he makes a number of stupid decisions every game. This includes not only defensive mistakes, but also taking wild shots from the wrong distances and angles.

He has some very strong sides yes, and if anyone can improve him it's the current staff. But at the moment all in all I think he's not good enough to be first choice.

How many goals and assists or chances created does he have compared to other left backs this season? I'd imagine there's not too many with too many more.

The question is does his handful of goals and assists make up for playing a back three with a gaping hole on the left side.

The question is does his handful of goals and assists make up for playing a back three with a gaping hole on the left side.

I'm not arguing that we can't do better, I think he gets caught out of position a lot, and is dodgy on crosses from the other wing. He's pretty good one on one defensively though, and it was a genuine question about the goals/assists.

I'm not arguing that we can't do better, I think he gets caught out of position a lot, and is dodgy on crosses from the other wing. He's pretty good one on one defensively though, and it was a genuine question about the goals/assists.

league 1 goal 4 assists acc. to transfermarkt. Zero and zero in the europa.

Not really anything out of the ordinary for a left back in this league. Bin.

• Upvote 1

Moreno causes opposition teams problems because he's always part of the overload on the left. He may not always get a bunch of assists or goals, but the likes of Coutinho and Firmino use him to create their own space, because the opposition are worried about his pace and getting to the byline to cross a ball.

Of course, he can't be in two places at once, and that's something the midfield is going to have to come to terms with, and fill-in for him at left back better than they have been.

He's a marvellous modern left back, can't think of many better.

The abuse directed at him is way over the top. When it comes to full backs, there are few better on the ball than Moreno. He is also an elite chance creator and a terrific outlet in the attacking third. Full backs who attack as well as he does whilst also remaining solid at the back simply don't exist. I can only really think of David Alaba who is both an elite attacker and defender from the full back position.

Him being out of position is normal and as Funnnneeee said, we just need to have other players cover for him. This is simple stuff and every top club with attacking full backs make that adjustment. 

The only real problem with him are his dumb challenges in the penalty area but that can hopefully be fixed as Klopp keeps hammering him to be smarter. 

We don't need someone like Hector. Just get that Chilwell kid from Leicester to provide him with a little competition and we'll be fine.

He's probably our biggest weakness alongside Mig. Utterly brainless, no positional sense at all and terrible end product. He does have some good attributes, pacey and good getting forward and can make some blinding tackles. But his flaws are just too glaring. Surely Klopp is looking to get in a new left-back this summer...

• Upvote 3

He's a clown. Left back is such an easy area for improvement. I'd ship him out in the summer back to Spain or somewhere while he's still rated and keep Smith/Flanno as backup to the new #1.

Yep, it's so easy to upgrade that our best lbs over the last 20 years are universal ly regarded as the weak spot in our side.

I don't think we're looking for a starting lb btw, think Klopp sees Moreno as a project with a huge upside. Smith isn't good enough as back-up though, so we might still be looking at options there.

The abuse directed at him is way over the top. When it comes to full backs, there are few better on the ball than Moreno. He is also an elite chance creator and a terrific outlet in the attacking third. Full backs who attack as well as he does whilst also remaining solid at the back simply don't exist. I can only really think of David Alaba who is both an elite attacker and defender from the full back position.

Him being out of position is normal and as Funnnneeee said, we just need to have other players cover for him. This is simple stuff and every top club with attacking full backs make that adjustment.

The only real problem with him are his dumb challenges in the penalty area but that can hopefully be fixed as Klopp keeps hammering him to be smarter.

We don't need someone like Hector. Just get that Chilwell kid from Leicester to provide him with a little competition and we'll be fine.

Agree with nearly every word here. Even Alaba isn't flawless!

The only thing 'elite' about him is his pace. His 'attacking' consists of smashing the ball into the first man and his defending and positional play in particular is beyond abysmal.

"I can only really think of David Alaba who is both an elite attacker and defender from the full back position"....Well, I can only think of one full back that would leave his LCB completely exposed by missing a tackle in the centre circle in the last minute of a crucial European away tie and consequently being responsible for a goal that could have led to his team losing out on a chance to win a European trophy. I don't think you'd find Alaba or any other decent full back scissor kicking and pushing opposition attackers in their own team's box either.

Edit: What Zonko said.