You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

I think he has put in some outstanding performances some average ones and frankly some abysmal ones. Sure I am gutted at him running his contract down the option would have been to sell him at 2 years left on his contract which with hindsight is what the clubs should have done. No way should he be able to dictate whether he has a laughably called escape clause in his contract just to make him re sign. What I do find objectionable is his lack of honesty about this situation. He should have come out and said Im off see yez.

He had a contract he honoured it - never pulled any 'i wanna go now' shite or agitated for a move.

His contract has run down he probably leaves - so be it. Would much rather have that than shithouses who sign new contracts for massive pay rises and then play up to leave 6 months after doing so...

Remember this:

25th January 2017

Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho last night put pen to paper on a new five-year contract worth around £8 million a year.

The Brazilian has committed his future to Anfield until 2022, representing a two-year extension to his current terms.

The Merseyside club confirmed earlier in the week they were in talks with their star player, but negotiations proved to be far more advanced.

“I signed this new contract to stay here for a few more years because it’s a great honour for me,” said Coutinho.

“It gives me great happiness because I was welcomed here with open arms by everyone at the club and the supporters right from my first day. I am very thankful to this football club for everything.”

Now he has become the highest-paid player at the club, earning around £150,000 a week, eclipsing the likes of Daniel Sturridge and James Milner.

This deal is a reward to their playmaker for his outstanding form, but will also help fend off interest in the South American from abroad.

Barcelona have long been linked with a bid for Coutinho, but Liverpool are now sure of the player’s commitment for the foreseeable future and have not inserted a release clause in his deal......

Give me Emre Can's situation every day of the week over that shite above.

No issue with him doing what he has done

We could have sold him but decided not too. 

We chose not to buckle to his release clause demands and im happy the club made a stand for the long term over getting him re-signed. A good players but hardly the best we have lost in recent years

In the ‘big’ games he’s probably been our best midfielder over the last couple of seasons. I’m sad to see him go, I think with a very good midfielder playing next to him he’d step up to the next level.

Bit like if Markovic played alongside Messi he’d go up a level.

Can isn’t even bang average, he’s just below it.

All this side needs is a bang average midfield to make it successful, and over the course of 4 years he’s fallen just short of providing adequate defensive cover and offensive support.

Bit like if Markovic played alongside Messi he’d go up a level.

No, nothing like that at all. Markovic is dreadful. I can’t recall one decent game he’s played for us against a shite team never mind a good one. Can has had plenty of very good games against very good teams. He has huge potential, Markovic doesn’t.

Unfortunately Can lacks consistency and playing next to someone who can carry more of a burden would massively improve his game (see Lovren and VVD).

I reckon the club are happy to see him go, I get the impression that he was holding us to ransom over wages, thinking he'd get a big pay rise so we don't lose him on a free.

By playing his game and giving him the money it might encourage others to do the same and run their contracts down, so it's being nipped in the bud.

I wonder what happens if he has a bad injury at the end of the season? Let’s say it’s so bad that he would be out for a year. I don’t wish that on anyone, but it happens from time to time. Would he just miss a year of his career, unpaid? Would he then have to hope he gets back in at the level he left? Both financially and as a player.

Would the club allow him to train and use our facilities to build up his fitness again if he’s not our player any more? I wouldn’t. Unless he signed a new deal, if we still wanted him. And would some other club allow him to use their facilities if he’s not their player either?

Seems to me there’s a bit of a risk for Can here.

I wonder what happens if he has a bad injury at the end of the season? Let’s say it’s so bad that he would be out for a year. I don’t wish that on anyone, but it happens from time to time. Would he just miss a year of his career, unpaid? Would he then have to hope he gets back in at the level he left? Both financially and as a player.

Would the club allow him to train and use our facilities to build up his fitness again if he’s not our player any more? I wouldn’t. Unless he signed a new deal, if we still wanted him. And would some other club allow him to use their facilities if he’s not their player either?

Seems to me there’s a bit of a risk for Can here.

Something similar happened to Valdes when he was at Barca. Injured his ACL after he announced he was leaving at the end of the season on a free. Career turned shit afterwards

• 3 weeks later...

Says his agent has blocked all contract talks with any club until the end of the season. Anyone else think that he could be going to Man City maybe? Or another PL team? For me it can be the only reason why he’s held off talks because at the end of the season he can legally talk to another clubs in England

Says his agent has blocked all contract talks with any club until the end of the season. Anyone else think that he could be going to Man City maybe? Or another PL team? For me it can be the only reason why he’s held off talks because at the end of the season he can legally talk to another clubs in England

Possibly but there is one thing that makes me doubt it.. they have seen him play

• Upvote 1

United maybe. Wants to avoid any shit off fans, would fit into their defensive mantra nicely and will get paid a shit tonne of cash.

I fucking hope he doesn’t go too Utd.

He’s an upgrade on Fernandinho at City aswell I think, he’s a lot better on the ball and he’s a bigger stronger unit so I could see Pep looking at him and thinking he could mould him into something.

I’ve said before but personally and it’s not because I’m a Liverpool fan I think the best place for him to be right now is here, if he progresses in 3/4 years time Bayern will come knocking and he can go home, that’s where I eventually see him wanting to go anyway.

He’s clearly a big part of Klopp’s plans because he starts nearly every game, especially the big ones. He’s been handed the captains armband a few times and we’re currently on a upward trajectory way more so than Man Utd. He gets valuable game time in the biggest matches for one of the best managers in the world at a club he’s been at since he was pretty young, we’re hardly going to stiff him on wages because whatever we’ve offered him it’s far more likely that it’s 3 or 4 times of what he’s on at the moment.

I’m not going to say he owes us because he’s effectively done the right thing in that he’s played to his maximum and hasn’t kicked up a fuss about leaving, he’s just done what he’s entitled to do and that’s sign a contract and honour it but I do feel like he’s stuck around when we was shite been played in all sorts of positions for a manager not not fit to lace Klopp’s boots (and that’s not a criticism of Rodgers that’s just how good and well respected Klopp is) and now that he’s settled in a midfield he potentially wants to go? It doesn’t really make sense to me, also he’s bound to go up a level next year with Keita next to him as he’s similar it Suarez in that he elevates the players around him to new heights.