You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez: The little magician

WhiskeyJar

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/165128-suarez-what-i-told-stevie-afterwards

Within moments of firing a dramatic and crucial winner for his country against England, Luis Suarez's thoughts immediately turned to offering words of consolation for club teammate Steven Gerrard.

The prolific 27-year-old was the scourge of the Three Lions in Sao Paulo, expertly directing a header into the far corner and then driving into the roof of the net as the clock ticked to a conclusion.

Victory resurrected Uruguay's hopes of qualifying for the last 16 of the World Cup in Brazil, but the result left Roy Hodgson's team requiring a remarkable turnaround if they are to progress.

Amid his natural celebration following the final whistle, however, Suarez showed his deep respect for Gerrard by heading straight to the midfielder to provide his support at a difficult moment.

"This is an unlucky moment for him," the talismanic forward, who notched 31 goals for Liverpool last season, explained. "I don't like it when he hurts like this."

The Salto native, returning to the La Celeste line-up after missing their opening match, added: "I said: 'Keep going, forget this game, you're one of the best.' He's the best player I've played with."

As a long ball bounced in behind the England defence in the final minutes of the Sao Paulo encounter, Suarez was primed and ready to capitalise on the smallest of chances to come his way.

The striker scooped possession, carried forward despite a lack of balance and his powerful finish soared over Joe Hart and allowed the Reds' No.7 to set off on a passionate celebration.

He said: "I had to keep calm, keep my cool and when I got the ball I just kicked it with my whole heart, thinking of all those who have supported me.

"It has been like a dream. It is something I have dreamt about very often. It was one of the best games I've played. It's an amazing moment for me. Maybe a few days ago I thought this wouldn't be possible."

"Liverpool inserted a £68m release clause in Suarez's last contract. But this is £52m if Barcelona or Real Madrid show an interest"

So if two of the worlds richest clubs come in for him then we sell him cheaper. How marvellously generous of us.

• Upvote 1

He's upset the press gang with his little after speech last night.  Complaining on Talk Sport that his words were a slap in the face to the writers who had given him the player of the year award.  It's as if the whole racism storm they lapped up and perpetuated in the worst possible manner never happened.  Short memories.

52m? Fuck off and the rest. Double that figure and we might talk to you. Otherwise fuck off. And no we don't want any of your shite rejects either.

I don't know.  I'd think long and hard if the 52 million also included, say, Sanchez and Alba as well.  Or if Real want to throw in Varane and Isco, the same deal could apply for them.

The problem with this hypothetical scenario is that half of that leftover cash would immediately be thrown down an Adam Lallana-shaped hole.

If Ian Ayre, you know who... the fake scouser, has actually inserted any kind of release clause less than £120m in Suarez recent contract, he needs to be sent to prison for a fraud.

If we buy Lallana for £30m and sell Suarez for £60-70m then FSG and Rodgers should be sent to join Ayre in prison.

• Downvote 2

Hasn't Suarez already confirmed that there aren't any clauses in the new contract?

He might well go this summer but I'd have thought £90 million or so? He'd still be irreplaceable at that.

Hasn't Suarez already confirmed that there aren't any clauses in the new contract?

He might well go this summer but I'd have thought £90 million or so? He'd still be irreplaceable at that.

He actually said there wasn't a specific clause for any particular club. I have no idea how this story will end up, but there is nothing difinitve in that statement that either proves or disproves the latest round of speculation.

I do know, that if he came out and said "I have no intention of leaving Liverpool", then that would end the speculation, but statements like "My agent knows what I want and he keeps me informed..." says to me he's probably on his way out.

I honestly think if we keep Suarez he will even surpass what has achieved during this one. For me the next few seasons will see the best of him so for us as a club to hope to achieve anything then we have to keep him....no matter what.

Lose him and I'm not sure where we go.

It goes without saying I want him to stay,but let's have it right,it's a business now and money talks, and if someone makes a massive offer to him and the club, he's gone,simple as that,I don't want anyone there who doesn't want to wear the red shirt,simple as that,players come and go,us fans are there for the long haul.If he does stay,we will win the league. 

It goes without saying I want him to stay,but let's have it right,it's a business now and money talks, and if someone makes a massive offer to him and the club, he's gone,simple as that,I don't want anyone there who doesn't want to wear the red shirt,simple as that,players come and go,us fans are there for the long haul.If he does stay,we will win the league. 

I think the owners actually understand that Suarez is a fucking brilliant player and that no matter what money we get it will be impossible to replace what he gives to the team.

So it won't be a "business decision" if he gets sold.  It will because Suarez decides he wants to leave and there is a (proper) clause in his contract that allows him to.

I hate this shit, but if the rumours are true we could do worse than £30 million plus Alexis Sanchez from Barca.  So long as the £30 mill was spent on someone shit hot.

• Upvote 1